broken toe.. in walking shoe .. leaving 1/25/07

Yes, I had a broken foot and was in a walking boot for a cruise a few years back. I wish someone would have told me how much it hurt to walk on sand because of it is unlevel. Test it out first, before you plan to spend a day at the beach.

Also, there is a jacuzzi in the spa area that is usually empty, and it was a great place to relax without having to worry about having my foot stepped on in a crowded pool or jacuzzi. It was very soothing for my foot.

Although I had to scale down my port excursions, I made the ship my destination and still had an awesome time, so no worries and just go with the flow.

doctor said i could go but no hiking or riding horses etc at port. I guess we will shop and visit Carlos and Charlies. With the elevators and not using the stairs i will be okay. Any tips???

I had a broken foot 2 summers ago - also had the walking cast. Be thankful you don't have the plaster cast! At least you can walk around and take the cast off and put your foot up whenever you want to! No, you won't be doing much real physical activity....but as I said - put your feet up and relax, enjoy the cruise cast and all! :)

Texasnana:

I feel for you, having broken my foot twice in the last 7 years! Never did a cruise with the walking boot, but there are worse places to be ... a week being pampered with someone to cook you scrumptious meals, clean your cabin, and assist you! I have been pleasantly surprised at how accommodating people can be when you are "temporarily disabled." Just take your time and keep smiling.

Here's to walking like a peg-leg pirate!:D

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

I broke my big toe two years ago. It broke in the middle joint. Take it pretty seriously. I kept mine taped for a few weeks at least. I probably shouldn't have "babied" it for so long because now I can't bend it properly. The doc said I should have had some physical therapy before it got that way. Now, I have to worry when I get older that I may to an odd gait. Horrors over a simple broken toe. I remember the pain at first. Whew! That hurt. I feel for you! But, that said, you will be OK in my opinion to use the elevator and walk around the ship. You just may be a little slower than usual. Best wishes!:)

Oh my, I feeel your pain- I broke 2 bones in the top of my foot...the doc tried to get me to wear a walking boot thing (big blue boot with huge white velcro straps).....well, instead I went on a cruise 2 weeks later and hobbled around in a sporty flip flop thing.....I swam and rode a horse......no running or walking tours,....but I even danced in the on your toes lounge (no shoes).....I limped a bit....but it didnn't slow me down! Don't let it bum you out.....you'll have a fabulous time in spite of the boo-boo foot!

Texasnana - Hi there! I am on the cruise with you! Can't wait!! I can offer some advice, though. Several years ago, my husband and I were on a company sponsored cruise. We all flew in day before and met up since we were from all over the U.S. One of the ladies fell on the hotel stairs in Miami and broke a bone in her foot. The staff on the ship couldn't have been nicer. They arranged for her to have a wheelchair to use whenever she got tired of the crutches. She was about 25 and a personal trainer... had excursions booked for scuba diving, snokeling etc. I think she managed to do some of the activities (without the swim fins... lol). She did have to curtail some things but was definitely able to relax and have a great time on the ship. Realize you may be limited in what you can do but remember... could there be any better place than a cruise ship to relax, take it easy and have someone wait on you?

Also, I agree with another poster, I would let me travel agent or RCI know whats going on.... if your cabin is a long way from the elevators, maybe they can arrange a switch for you. Have fun... and any questions, just let me know!a

Texasnana - sorry this if off topic. Should I gather from your screen name that you are a grandma? I am too! Where are you from? I live in East Texas between Dallas and Texarkana. I meant to say earlier... hope your foot is feeling better soon!

Thank you all for the great advice .....

Elizabeth i am in central Texas about 3 hours from Galveston. This will be our second cruise out of Galveston but not RCCL. WE have two little granddaughters that live in town here.

My husband had spine surgery in Aug and still recovering so this cruise will be relaxing to both of us ...

See ya on the boat .....................

I've been on two cruises with a walking boot - most recently in Nov. with two broken metatarsal bones.

I was tired walking with that boot all day, but it didn't prevent me from doing a lot. I was able to take it off at the beach to swim, but it really helped walking in the sand, because that is one of the worst things you can do.

I did an excursion that entailed walking over a pretty hilly surface and was glad I had the boot. Not hiking in mountains, just visiting an animal sanctuary that happened to have a lot of hilly sidewalks.

Are you able to remove it to go swimming?

I broke my foot last year the day before our cruise carrying the suitecases down the stairs. Went to the ortho and he put me in a walking boot, that thing was great much better than a traditional cast. I was able to take it off and still swim/snorkel as well as get around on various excursions and participate in ship activites. The only pain was cleaning the sand out. This was our first cruise and I was not going to let it get in my way.

I had a broken pinky toe that hurt more than I could believe. You have my sympathy.

You've also got my recommendations:

1. Get a wheelchair at embarkation so you're not left standing around leaving your foot to swell and throb.

2. Bring your own refillable ice bag.

3. If you aren't wearing your soft cast all the time, have a pair of shoes/slippers with very rigid soles that provide some protection.

4. Make sure your seat at dinner keeps your feet (particularly your foot with the broken toe) well out of traffic patterns.

5. Bring along an extra roll of tape in case you need to re-tape it.

6. If you're venturing into the ocean, find a great pair of water shoes and wear them.

I hope you have a nice balcony or a quiet spot picked out where you can enjoy the cruise and keep your foot propped up some of the time.

Have fun.

If I see you in the Windjammer, I promise to carry your tray!

Hope all goes well.

thanks so much for the offer.... to carry my tray.... hope to see you there loading up on the buffett. I do hope it is good. ON carnival i found it to be better then the seat down dinner,,,,,:o

doctor said i could go but no hiking or riding horses etc at port. I guess we will shop and visit Carlos and Charlies. With the elevators and not using the stairs i will be okay. Any tips???

Sorry to hear about your toe. That's what can happen with wild 'doc dances' they will get you every time :) :) . Have a nice cruise.

Mike S.

It's sounds like (from the 1/25 Splendour thread) that the Windjammer food is wonderful and that the atmosphere is great after its refurb! We are going to have to try a stirfry.

I did travel around Canada once with a broken kneecap, but it didn't dampen my spirits or my trip. I did spend a lot of time in the hot tub and not so much running around shopping, but that was fun too. As always, attitude is everything. Your injury won't matter one whit at Carlos 'N Charlies.

Broke my ankle March 11th and had to wear a cast for 6 weeks and the boot for 3 weeks. Went to Las Vegas 5 days later with the help of knee hi elastic socks and vitamin B6. Both of these helped keep swelling down and eased the pain. I stayed on the B6 until November and decided to stop taking it. The day before we left for the Radiance, I fell down the stairs and twisted my ankle (I guess). I didn't hurt then but it swelled and hurt for the duration of the cruise. I only had 2 pairs of shoes I could wear out of 8 pairs I had packed! I started taking the B6 as soon as I got home and was shortly back to normal?? I'm not going to swear by it but I think the B6 helps a lot. I am going to continue to take it.

Archived