Wind Noise

Our last cruise took us thru the Panama Canal, and when we went to listen to our taping of it, basically all I heard was a terrible wind noise. Is there a cover of some kind or another that I can put over the mic part of my video cam to stifle or at least reduce the turbulence?? Thanks, guys.

Mike!!:D

After the first few cruises and beach movies where we heard the whistling of the wind we did some research. The best thing for us was to always use an accessory microphone plugged into the camera. We have a short corded and wireless microphone. When we want to use the cameraman as the narrator, we use the short wired mic and it really reduces the wind noise. The story we got was that the built in mics are directional microphones and they will pick up wind and other noises. Of course, our editors usually put good background music and dim down the wind noise.

Hope this helps, take care, D&L

Dean, thanks so much for the advice. I will certainly look into the corded mic. And, yes, we're really looking forward to sailing on the Jewel. They say she is the sister ship of the Brilliance, which we sailed last. If she is as beautiful as her, we will love her also. This time I booked an aft suite which I'm really looking forward to. That always enriches a cruise, doesn't it??

Thanks again.

Mike!!;)

Go to your local music store and ask for a windscreen. It is a piece of foam that will fit over the mike and help reduce wind noise. Keep in mind these are made for a "musician's mic" so you will probably have to modify or make your own.

Hey, thanks for the tips. Checking the settings on my camera might just be the thing. It's fairly new, but I'm just about lost with all this new-fangled stuff, but should be able to "figger" that out. As far as the wind screen goes, someone else had told me about that, but figured I could get it from an electronic store. Never thought about the music store, so thanks for that tip. It's just really pitiful when you can't even hear yourself talk over the wind.

Thanks again, guys.

Mike!!;)

I didn't even realize this post made it thru. It took so long to generate, I got mad and thought I'd deleted it, but thanks for the tip. Another person told me the same thing and said I could probably pick it up from a music store. Whodda thunk?? Anyway, thanks for the tip.

Mike!!;)

Archived