Veendam - Lower Promenade deck

portsherry1

Just got cabin assignment today -"C" Category on Lower Promenade deck. Is that an OK place to be? I understand people can walk outside the window but cannot see in due to one way glass.

Any thoughts on those outside cabins on Lower Promenade deck? Sailing on Feb. 18, 2007 out of Tampa.

The outside cabins on LP do have a reflective film on the windows which makes it very difficult to see in, during daylight. However, at night, with a cabin light on, you can see into the room. Keep that in mind if you like to wake up with the curtains open.

Some of the cabins have partially or fully obstructed views, but being a CAT C you will not have an obstructed view aside from the railing of the promenade.

I have never had any problem with 'peepers' or even any excessive noise from the promenade, but some report hearing people or deck workers on the promenade. I do like being just steps away from the deck, if not having a private balcony. This was great in Alaska when spotting a whale from my cabin. The promenade is, in my opinion, an underutilized gem on these ships, and appreciated the easy access.

If you have sailed in any of the S Class ships standard cabins, these are much the same, but slighty smaller. The loveseat is not along the length of the cabin, more to the width (and slightly smaller). I believe it is only a few sq ft, and hardly noticable.

The loveseat is not along the length of the cabin, more to the width (and slightly smaller).

You mean the back is against the bathroom wall rather than the cabin side wall? It must be about 2/3 the normal size then? (We've booked a D on the Statendam Lower Prom for September.)

The outside cabins on LP do have a reflective film on the windows which makes it very difficult to see in, during daylight. However, at night, with a cabin light on, you can see into the room. Keep that in mind if you like to wake up with the curtains open.

Some of the cabins have partially or fully obstructed views, but being a CAT C you will not have an obstructed view aside from the railing of the promenade.

I have never had any problem with 'peepers' or even any excessive noise from the promenade, but some report hearing people or deck workers on the promenade. I do like being just steps away from the deck, if not having a private balcony. This was great in Alaska when spotting a whale from my cabin. The promenade is, in my opinion, an underutilized gem on these ships, and appreciated the easy access.

If you have sailed in any of the S Class ships standard cabins, these are much the same, but slighty smaller. The loveseat is not along the length of the cabin, more to the width (and slightly smaller). I believe it is only a few sq ft, and hardly noticable.

I have always considered the Lower Promenade Deck cabins on HAL's "S" Class ships to be a bargain because you are only steps away from the largest "veranda" and most comfortable lounge chairs on the ship. Enjoy.

Our first HAL cruise was on the Veendam, in a C category cabin on the LP deck. We loved the ship; we weren't crazy about the cabin location.

As others have pointed out, you CAN see in at night, so you must keep the drapes closed, which sort of defeats the point of having an outside cabin.

Secondly, in our cabin, the drapes wouldn't stay completely closed. There was a one or two inch gap at the bottom that I just could not eliminate. I could have called the front desk, but it seemed kind of trivial to complain about.

Thirdly, yes, you are just next to the enormous veranda that is the outside promenade. So is everyone else on the ship. Most mornings, we were awakened to the sound of the crew, at about 6:30, hosing down the deck and dragging the deck chairs into some sort of order. Shortly after that, the early rising passengers were out on the deck, dragging the chairs back to their disorganized state and talking, rather loudly. Do you know how much noise a wooden deck chair makes while being dragged across the deck, while you're trying to sleep? Lots.

Perhaps our room location was not the best. We were in, IIRC, 322, which is one of three cabins between the two sets of doors that lead to the outside deck, just forward of the atrium. Those two doors were probably the most used on the ship.

It sounds like I'm complaining a lot, but I'm not really. We absolutely loved the ship. It is what hooked us on HAL. Our previous cruise was on the Carnival Glory, with over 3,000 passengers. That experience cured us of the Carnival mega-ships. The Veendam, even with its smaller public spaces, was much less crowded. We also felt that the Veendam was more elegant, compared to the Vegas-style glitz of the Glory. It just had a much more intimate feel. The Glory felt like a shopping mall. (and, its almost as big as one).

Paul Noble

Just a word about the windows on the lower promenade deck. I don't know about you but when I am walking about, looking in the windows is the last thing on my mind and I would suspect that is true of most passengers who do the walkabout. I have not been in one of those cabins, but if I were and it was evening and I was changing clothes I would do the same thing I do at home and close the curtains. Makes sense to me.

Just a word about the windows on the lower promenade deck. I don't know about you but when I am walking about, looking in the windows is the last thing on my mind and I would suspect that is true of most passengers who do the walkabout. I have not been in one of those cabins, but if I were and it was evening and I was changing clothes I would do the same thing I do at home and close the curtains. Makes sense to me.

I believe the 'peepers' are simply people curious as to what lies beyond the window ("I wonder what is in here?"), not realizing they are cabins. I do not believe they are intentionally trying to peer in on cabin residents. Same goes for the loud voices on the promenade, I doubt anyone ever realizes they are just outside someone's 'bedroom'.

But yes, the morning deck cleaning can sometimes be heard ( I am a sound sleeper) and yes, the cabins adjacent to the doorways onto the deck can be subject to the doors slamming in the wind (virtually no one holds onto the doors as they close).

There are benefits, but keep in mind the potential distractions.

I believe the 'peepers' are simply people curious as to what lies beyond the window ("I wonder what is in here?"), not realizing they are cabins. I do not believe they are intentionally trying to peer in on cabin residents.

Naaah ... I disagree! I think most "peepers" know they are cabins but are curious whether somebody can really see in or not! I confess to trying a little during the boat drill, when nobody should have been in the cabin. :o On the basis of not being able to see anything, we booked a cabin on that deck for our next cruise! :)

It you are bothered by potential "peepers" and the noise from the promenade deck, may I suggest you consider an inside cabin on that deck. You will save considerable money and still be only steps away from the largest "veranda" on the ship. We had a "J" cabin on a 17 day trans-Atlantic cruise on the Rotterdam and it was wonderful especially during rough seas as we experienced almost no motion in our cabin from either rolling or pitching.

One evening on our last cruise I noticed that the Promenade deck lights are very bright. Do they stay on at that full brightness all night? Do they cause a "lighthouse beam" shaft of light if the drapes are not tightly closed? Also, does the tinting darken the room noticeably during the day compared to other OV cabins? Thanks. :)

We spent 4 weeks in a LP cabin on the Statendam in October and really enjoyed the location. We were on a back to back and for the 7 day Alaska segment had a balcony cabin. We actually enjoyed the LP cabin even though it was slightly smaller more. Just loved watching the passing parade, the 2 of us shared many a laugh as we spied on the passing parade, you know it works two ways, we were also "Peeping Toms". I never felt that people outside were spying on us, and I never heard any noise from passengers, day or night. I did on occasions hear water running in the early hours of the morning, more like 4 - 5 am, as the crew washed down the outside of our window, I never heard deck chairs being dragged across the deck! We were however opposite the laundry and that on occasions was a pain in the butt, some people showing no consideration for other passengers or the time of day either, 6 am was OK for some to have very loud conversations in the passageway while wives were doing their laundry. Like others before me on this board have also stated, being so close to the hugh wonderful beautiful teak deck was for me a real bonus.

I hope you enjoy the Lower Prom deck cabin as much as we did have a great cruise.

We are on the Panama Canal cruise in April and I tried to get a "J" Cat. cabin but they were all booked. It would have been great to be near the "largest veranda" on the ship, to be able to go from side to side quickly. Well there the next cruise I Hope.

We have had a cabin on the Promenade deck about 3 times. Loved it.

I too was a little worried about beeing seen at first. Don't worry during the day you can't see. At night use the drapes. We were never bothered by any noise on deck. Maybe we were lucky. Anyway we are booked on the Veendam for later in the year.....On the Promenade deck, by choice.

Archived