12/31 Millie - Worst coffee EVER!

GotOutThere

I won't even go into the other issues with this cruise, but my God the coffee was horrible. :eek:

Had breakfast in the cabin 2 days and 1 of those days you could have cut the coffee with a knife. The other day was only slightly better. It was always bad in the breakfast buffet area and only slightly better in the Metropolitan. Plus, I think the Metro was the only place you could get half and half. Room service and the buffet had those nasty little "instant blends" you get at places like Huddle House. Yuck.

At least the Cova cafe had some decent specialy coffees, but you had to pay for them.

I mean really...is it that tough to provide decent coffee?

I agree...i was on the TA on the Millie last month and found the coffe only drinkable in the Metropolitan. That was my third Celebrity cruise and my first with coffee complaints. I think Princess is doing something to ensure that all cruise lines approach their standard of undrinkable coffee... I had the same problem on the Queen Mary last winter in the buffet area!

I agree about the coffee, and I'm not a coffee snob at all (never go to Starbucks, brew our own coffee at home). I think that Celebrity should ask Denny's, Burger King or McDonalds how to make a decent (i.e., drinkable) cup of coffee. My wife and I had breakfast in our cabin every morning and after 4 days couldn't take it anymore. We bought two large mugs from the Cova Cafe and then had our room attendant bring us two large cappucinos every morning - an additional $12 a day that we wouldn't have spent if their "regular" coffee was drinkable. I think that X is pursuing a strategy of lowering its standards in one area so you'll upgrade to the better products/services that are offered at an additional charge.

Just got off the Hawaii Summit cruise (12/23/06) ... and was pleasantly surprised at the improved taste of the coffee at the Waterfal Cafe and from Room Service.

At the buffet, the coffee is now in a machine by itself (not the automatic pre-measured button kind they have for hot water) and I think it tastes better ... not GREAT mind you, but a heck of a lot better than our previous Celebrity coffee experiences.

Room service coffee every morning was quite good, too. Tasted as good as the dining room coffee to me.

We grew tired of the bad coffee so this last cruise in Dec. on the Millennium we brought along our mugs, our Bodum press & fresh ground coffee from our coffee grinder. Every morning my DH went to the buffet & got us hot water in the mugs while I "heated" up the press. It was wonderful to have a good cup of coffee every morning or anytime we wanted. It did not take up that much room in our suitcase & it weighs practically nothing.

We bought the press at a local supermarket and the Cuisinart grinder we bought at Costco It has several different settings so you can grind fine to coarse which is what the Bodum uses. We ground enough at home to take along so we could leave the grinder at home.

It is now part of our vacation kit!

Faith :D

Quendryth, what a wonderful idea. We have sailed on 3 different cruise lines and the coffee is absolutely awful. It was undrinkable in the cafeteria on Carnival. I did find that when I ordered a pot of coffee through room service on the Summit, that it tasted better.

Until someone brings a Tim Hortons franchise on board I'm sticking to tea. Celebrity only provides the tea bags and I determine when the taste is right.

If you don't know what Tim Hortons is then I can't relate to your evaluation of good or bad coffee.

The taste of coffee is so subjective unless it's the perfect chemical solution of hand picked Colombian coffee beans, cuban sugar, and half'n half cream from Wisconsin (or similar), then it's not fit to drink.:rolleyes:

you could have cut the coffee with a knife.

is that a Celebrity safety blade or a steak knife?

The very fact that some people actually like coffee from fast food outlets and some from Starbucks is that these people can't be satisfied from the same coffee spigot.

We grew tired of the bad coffee so this last cruise in Dec. on the Millennium we brought along our mugs, our Bodum press & fresh ground coffee from our coffee grinder. Every morning my DH went to the buffet & got us hot water in the mugs while I "heated" up the press. It was wonderful to have a good cup of coffee every morning or anytime we wanted. It did not take up that much room in our suitcase & it weighs practically nothing.

We bought the press at a local supermarket and the Cuisinart grinder we bought at Costco It has several different settings so you can grind fine to coarse which is what the Bodum uses. We ground enough at home to take along so we could leave the grinder at home.

It is now part of our vacation kit!

Faith :D

Great minds think alike! We decided to this for the next cruise as Galaxy's coffee was also undrinkable. Life is too short not to have my mug of french roast in the morning!

Until someone brings a Tim Hortons franchise on board I'm sticking to tea. Celebrity only provides the tea bags and I determine when the taste is right.

If you don't know what Tim Hortons is then I can't relate to your evaluation of good or bad coffee.

The taste of coffee is so subjective unless it's the perfect chemical solution of hand picked Colombian coffee beans, cuban sugar, and half'n half cream from Wisconsin (or similar), then it's not fit to drink.:rolleyes:

is that a Celebrity safety blade or a steak knife?

The very fact that some people actually like coffee from fast food outlets and some from Starbucks is that these people can't be satisfied from the same coffee spigot.

So glad we have a coffee expert here on these boards. What would we do without you? :rolleyes:

So glad we have a coffee expert here on these boards. What would we do without you? :rolleyes:

Not complain about coffee when no-one seems to find a good cup on a cruiseline...;)

If the cruiseline finds out some people are smuggling their own brew on board there will be confiscations of your private stash till the end of the cruise. Rather than putting you off at the next port they will sit you down and force you to drink theirs ... free.

It seems like a contest to serve the worst coffee at sea. Micky D's serves more per store every day than the largest ship. Even the US Navy can make decent coffee for 5000 sailors on an aircraft carrier every day. Maybe the secret is breing the coffee with beans?

Archived