stingray city - im freaking out!!

kt7426

ok, so this is our first cruise and it looks like the thing to do in grand cayman is the stingrays - i think it would be totally cool but i am a bit chicken...is there really anything to be scared about - everyone post i read says that it makes your whole vacation!!

I have to agree with what you heard!!! Swimming with the stingrays was the highlite of my cruise in 1997. That was the one thing I wanted to do. Well when the charter boat pulled up and I saw what looked like 100's of stingrays, I was soooooooo scared to get in the water. I finally got in but was screaming with fright/excitement all in one. My husband at the time swam away from me because I embarrassed him : ) I got remarried in Sept 2004, my new DH and I went on a cruise and was supposed to stop in Grand Cayman. All I talked for months was "we've got to go swim with the stingrays". Well Cayman was hit by Hurricane Ivan 2 weeks before our cruise, so needless to say; he never got to experience the joy. We are now booked for a cruise Feb 24th. Hoping all goes well; we'll be doing it again!!! BTW, we did swim with the dolphins in Cozumel. It was very expensive but very well worth the money. The Dolphins were amazing!!!

I too am a big chicken. I finally consented to Stingrays as the thing to do in Grand Cayman. We went with Nativeways. I had a great time. Had to be coaxed out of the boat to go snorkling at our first stop. It was amazing.

FH000021.jpg

I saw these little stingrays (which are the males by the way) and thought that was how big the ones at the sandbar were going to be. Hee. I was in fo a shock. The stingrays at the sandbar were HUGE! I was pretty timid. I did not scream, but I did 'EEK' a few times.

Here's after getting a stingray drive by. See that big gray shape? That's the ray that just brushed me.

eepray.jpg

I eventually warmed up though. And let my husband hold the stingray.

FH000007.jpg

And kissed the ray for my good luck.

FH000006.jpg

I feed a squid to one ray and got a hickey on my arm for my effort. A nifty souvenir. All in all I had a great time. And I am very glad I did it.

I agree, it was a highlight of our vacation in 05. My husband and I were so excited to do this, and as we pull up to the sandbar we see about 5-6 huge grey things in the water, no big deal (we thought they were rocks) then one of the "rocks" moves, and my husband and I both looked at each other and yelled "Holy Sh**!" it was hilarious.

Like the above poster mentioned, you will scream because of excitement and being scared at the same time. it was wonderful. We also went with Nativeways, they were great.

We are going in May again, this time with our 3 boys, and they are so excited. can't wait. You will not be disappinted.

My DDs (ages 20 and 11) and I did this in August. It was wonderful! We booked with Captain Marvin and went out with about 25 others--got there before the ship's tour which made it especially nice to be there before too many other cruisers arrived.

My youngest DD was a little freaked at first--especially when she watched me get in and two huge rays started circling me and rubbing up against me! I couldn't stop laughing! I don't know if it was the color of my suit or my height (I'm 6') or what, but they didn't do that to anyone else. It scared DD enough that she clung to me like a monkey for the first five minutes and then she got used to it and had a great time!

It's an experience not to be missed--we'd do it again in heartbeat!

Have a great time!

Jayne

:)

from one big chicken to another, you can do it. we spent a week in cayman last winter and went with Soto Cruises to Stingray City. They were great. I opted out of feeding them but if you stay back from the people the feeding you dont get surrounded. Soto tours were great we left from the Hyatt and stopped halfway for some amazing snorkeling, the best ive done. they take pictures you can buy a disc of fairly cheap. it is quite cool. we arrived early before the other boats and it was perfect. give it a try.icon7.gif

Everyone gets freaked out by the stingrays. They will bowl you over trying to get to the food offered by other passengers OR just to check closely that you are not hiding any for some other ray! It is freaky but hilarious at the same time. Definitely worthwhile doing once.

It was a blast! A boat will take you out to the sandbar in the bay. At the time we arrived, the water was around waist high. They don't allow you to wear water shoes or sandals in the water, so you don't accidentally hurt them, i.e. barefeet will just slide off.

Feeding them squid is of course optional, but it's so cool how they suck it up out of your hands. Mind you the scent keeps them continually swimming around looking for more. At times you may feel a bit overwhelmed and they'll be rubbing up against you. No need to fear though. They're obviously used to the interaction and looking for food. It's a highlight not to miss!

We had just arrived in this pic and most of the stingrays were over by another boat at the time:

100_1471.jpg

Then of course you get to have your pic taken with one:

100_1471sting.jpg

I am probably the biggest chicken in the world, but this is one thing that should be missed!! There is still a review under Voyager of the Seas from August 2003 that I wrote that has a very detailed writing of our adventure with the rays. Check it out.

I hope you decide to do this. Jan

I agree with the other posters--this is one you DON'T want to miss. I've been to Cayman 2 times and both times we did Stingray City. It's truly amazing.

A word of advice. If you are truly afraid, don't jump up and down. The guides tell you that that's how people DO get hurt. They jump up and down and it either scares the ray or they land on a barb.

Also, stay away from jackasses who think they are Jacque Cousteau. We had a few of those types on our last trip and everytime a ray would come near us they would literally DIVE for it and try to ride it. That scared the crap outta me. I was afraid the rays would get pissed and go psycho. Alas, they didn't...guess they're used to it.

Have fun! It's awesome!

I agree with the other posters--this is one you DON'T want to miss. I've been to Cayman 2 times and both times we did Stingray City. It's truly amazing.

A word of advice. If you are truly afraid, don't jump up and down. The guides tell you that that's how people DO get hurt. They jump up and down and it either scares the ray or they land on a barb.

Also, stay away from jackasses who think they are Jacque Cousteau. We had a few of those types on our last trip and everytime a ray would come near us they would literally DIVE for it and try to ride it. That scared the crap outta me. I was afraid the rays would get pissed and go psycho. Alas, they didn't...guess they're used to it.

Have fun! It's awesome!

I have to agree with everyone else too ... scared the you-know-what out of me the first time one brushed my leg while I was still trying to put my flippers on! :eek: I choked on the saltwater and went straight for the boat ladder! I got my wits about me and MADE myself get back in as I'd been looking forward to it for so long and knew I would kick myself if I didn't and now I wouldn't trade it for the world. We did all the pics and feeding too (although I turned my head the other way when holding the food!). We did the deep snorkel excursion and we could not touch the bottom of the ocean, which made it a little freakier ... and we were alone with a group of about 20, so that was nice. I think I liked it even better than swimming with the dolphins since this was in the animals' natural habitat. I'll see if I can figure out how to attach some pics. NOTE: DH is the one in the white t-shirt watching FROM THE BOAT. Hee hee!

2008819442_GrandCaymanStingrays-Jan07008373x280.jpg.54a4e77cc4a23cfff8a3fb165863a34e.jpg

523660165_GrandCaymanStingrays-Jan07013373x280.jpg.f78c75710509e54bfda0598a9b0a1284.jpg

476256398_GrandCaymanStingrays-Jan07014373x280.jpg.eb219708244f9896543028c51f85d2a5.jpg

I have to agree with everyone else too ... scared the you-know-what out of me the first time one brushed my leg while I was still trying to put my flippers on! :eek: I choked on the saltwater and went straight for the boat ladder! I got my wits about me and MADE myself get back in as I'd been looking forward to it for so long and knew I would kick myself if I didn't and now I wouldn't trade it for the world. We did all the pics and feeding too (although I turned my head the other way when holding the food!). We did the deep snorkel excursion so we could not touch the bottom of the ocean, which made it a little freakier ... and we were alone with a group of about 20, so that was nice. I'll see if I can figure out how to attach some pics. NOTE: DH is the one in the white t-shirt watching FROM THE BOAT. Hee hee!

DO NOT let this opportunity to pass you by. You will forever regret it. Yes, it's a little freaky at first, but you will get used to it. Think about it...they wouldn't have this excursion if it was dangerous and, after all of these years, the stingrays are used to the tourists. I'm a firm believer in experiencing all of those things that you can't do back home. After all, that's what travel is all about. Go, have fun, get involved and then you will have wonderful memories to tell your grandchildren about many years down the road.

DO NOT let this opportunity to pass you by. You will forever regret it. Yes, it's a little freaky at first, but you will get used to it. Think about it...they wouldn't have this excursion if it was dangerous and, after all of these years, the stingrays are used to the tourists. I'm a firm believer in experiencing all of those things that you can't do back home. After all, that's what travel is all about. Go, have fun, get involved and then you will have wonderful memories to tell your grandchildren about many years down the road.

Yes this is true, not quite sure exactly how many feet down, but definetly can not touch. I' am sure you could and should wear life jackets if not good swimmers. We were there in 05' and it was chest deep on us and pretty rough to be standing in. We were getting knocked from side to side.

We did this with Nativeways and they were wonderful, always around to help. I'm sure they (whoever you chose to go with) will help you out of the boat and over to the sandbar.

Please do not hesitate to do this tour. It is unbelievable. A not to miss excursion. I have 3 boys, 2 of which are not great swimmers and I will be taking them to do this. I can't wait.

Is this something i can do with a 2 year old ? I will hold her in the water but we just want to be sure they will let her in the water with us. My 14 yr old son has done this before in the bahamas but not to feed them just swam with them, thanks for any insight..

I'm glad I did this excursion, but I was more intimidated then I thought I would be. We went to the sand bar near the reef and the waves were higher and rougher than I expected. I'm 5'3" and the waves knocked me around a bit. I'd lose my footing and was scared to put my feet back down since they come up from behind you and from the sides. I did enjoy it though and was glad I experienced it.

As far as taking little children, unless you're going to leave them on the boat, I wouldn't suggest it. It's about a 30 minute boat ride out to the sight and the water is definitely too deep for them.

My wife and I did the stingray thing 3 years ago in the Bahamas. I thought it was a great experience, but my wife wasn't too thrilled about the smell of the food on her hands.

The stingrays are really docile. Listen to your instructor or leader. These are magnificent, beautiful creatures. I personally plan to swim with the dolphins, or go parasailing. Horseback riding is another attraction.

Don't be scared of them, just do it.

Archived