Princess vs. HAL - Australia

jssabs

We are planning an Australian cruise in January or February, 2008 and are trying to decide between HAL's Statendam or Sapphire Princess. Right now we are leaning toward the Statendam. We have cruised recently on the Grand Princess so we are somewhat familiar with what Princess has to offer. We had also cruised on the Statendam about 12 years ago but that is so long ago that we are looking for a fresh perspective about HAL and the Statendam and how it compares to the Sapphire Princess. We're interested in hearing from anyone who has some thoughts about the two lines and the specific ships. Specifically, your comparisons on food, service, cabin, entertainment, etc. Also, anyone who has taken the Australian cruise, we welcome your comments and any recommednadations you might have for private tour guides.

Happy Cruising.

JSSABS

Hi,

We are regular cruisers on Princess, but have ventured out to other lines as well, for various reasons. To me, If Hal and Princess were comparatively priced apples to apples, I wouldn't hesitate to cruise HAL. I love the beds, service, cabins, etc. The buffet on HAL was great.

A couple random thoughts would be:

1.Nightlife -dont consider HAL if you like a vibrant nightlife, it gets a little boring after about 10 pm; but that is just our experince. It seemed like the young crew members were the only ones out and about in the very late evening.

2. HAL Entertainment doesnt seem up to other lines, but that can sometimes be the luck of the draw.

3. itinerary- which cruise has the best itinerary?

Hope this helps

Archived