Speeding Tickets in Alaska

LarryF

Not that I'm planning to race up and down the Alaska highways, but curious as to how stringent police are handing out speeding citations in Alaska??

On sparse-used highways, enforcement is pretty lax, but on busy roads such as the Seward Highway and the southern section of the Parks, it's much tighter. In the communities, the Troopers give no leeway - if the sign says 30, don't be doing 33.

Murray

Not that I'm planning to race up and down the Alaska highways, but curious as to how stringent police are handing out speeding citations in Alaska??

I think you just raised the bar of Alaska cruising preparation to a new height. :D

LOL! I have no idea what promted me to think of speeding fines. If you knew me you'd know I'm one of those guys that go 50 in a 65 with everyone honking at me to get out of their way! I guess I should ask if there's a fine for going to slow!!

LOL! I have no idea what promted me to think of speeding fines. If you knew me you'd know I'm one of those guys that go 50 in a 65 with everyone honking at me to get out of their way! I guess I should ask if there's a fine for going to slow!!

Actually there is one and it's posted as sign on the highways that if you have 5 or more vehicles behind you, you're to pull over and let them pass. Actually it's mainly for the RV's and people pulling trailers but if the Trooper was in a bad mood, he could get you for it.

Be forewarned too that they've made some of our areas, especially the Seward Highway between Anchorage and Girdwood (Alyeska) and somewhere north a double fine/double point area.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Majority is 55mph, single lanes. Through Turnagain Pass it's 65mph with some double lanes. Lots of pull outs along the whole way for pictures, letting others pass etc. We do have lots of crazies that drive way over the limit.

Another thing to watch for is 4 way flashers on..... which can mean an accident or moose ahead.

Get The Milepost. It's the Alaska road bible that tells you almost every rock in the road.

Archived