Your pick... Marv and Harv or Capt. Larry?

heyitsmejudy

Trying to book whale watching. Actually had a human answer on first ring with Marv and Harv. Left several messages with and sent several emails to Capt. Larry with no response. Their Web site still has 2006 schedule/prices on it.

Can anyone offer insight on these two companies (or others) and do you have a preference for some reason one over the other?

Many have spoken of Orca Enterprises (Larry) but Marv and Harv it seems will customize times and only takes 6 people out at a time vs. Larry's 40 plus.

Frankly, if I don't get a response back from Capt. Larry the decision might make itself, but if anyone's had run ins with both or either company I'd appreciate some input.

• 1 month later...

as i posted on the other thread:

we went with capt larry, his is part of ocra enterprises. they have 3 or 4 boats...last year they had capt scotty and capt shaun, along with capt larry. they all love their whales and love talking about them. capt larry is just the real character of the group (sorry, capt larry). you would have to read their website to see how much they are involved with research and such. their smaller boats take out 15 to 20 people, the largest can handle about 40. but i do mean handle..it would not be crowded, room inside to move around, open deck for viewing in the rear and above the cabin.

snacks available, the smoked salmon was great. restrooms onboard.

the purple boat (capt larry's) is wheelchair able.

http://www.orcaenterprises.com/

harv & marv - almost went with them when i was going to book their boat for the family, before the family told me they didn't want to make any plans. harv & marv have 2 boats, each boat is limited to 6 passenagers.

they are real alaskian, one lives on a island near juneau. one wife makes home-made cookies for the customers. they don't have set tours with set hours, depending on how they are booked they are customize the tours better. they also doing fishing charters.

http://www.harvandmarvs.com/aboutus2.html

either one will show you whales, you will learn about alaska with h&m. you will learn about whales with ocra's crew. last year h&m had a sliding scale for their prices. see their website for more information.

either one will give you a great tour.

if you call orca's office, remember during this time of year...many of them are in hawaii doing whale research. it may several calls to get ahold of them. at h&m, eileen lives with a phone on her hip, LOL!!

Archived