Premier Cruises

I was aboard Majestic for her Inaugural season with Premier .... "Abacodabra!"

After Premier, she was the Southern Cross for CTC, still in Premier Red. Then she became Flamenco and now New Flamenco. She was origianlly built to be a twin sister to NCL's Southward (now Seawing) to be called Seaward. Through contract disputes, NCL gave up the option on her. She was finished as Spirit of London for P&O, and eventually transferred into the newly formed Princess Cruises as the original Love Boat, Sun Princess.

WOW!!! Abacodabra on the StarShip Majestic!!! I thought I was the only one!!!!

At the time I sailed her, the C/Ds were a dual husband/wife team... I can't recall their names, but they were very personable and funny...

... that bright red hull and the extreme Disney tie-in.. she was a colorful if hard-to navigate old girl, that's for sure..

If you were on during the Majestic Inugural season May - July 1990, that was likely Scott & Cindy Peterson as CD & Shorex Manager. I was on with that team as well, I believe in Shore Excusions at that time, working with Cindy. The hostess was Faye Richardson (from Wales) who later became CD with Premier.

Interestingly after I left Premier to Holland America, then Celebrity as CD, Scott & Cindy came to Celebrity when I left to Royal Cruise Line (Crown Odyssey). Last I had heard, Scott was with Crystal Cruises. The cruise industry is a fairly close knit biz.

Abacodabra, there's Magic Aboard! Can you give me an Arrrrrrrgggggghhh!

WOW!!! Abacodabra on the StarShip Majestic!!! I thought I was the only one!!!!

At the time I sailed her, the C/Ds were a dual husband/wife team... I can't recall their names, but they were very personable and funny...

... that bright red hull and the extreme Disney tie-in.. she was a colorful if hard-to navigate old girl, that's for sure..

• 4 weeks later...

My DW and I sailed the StarShip Majestic in '89. You can see some pics from the cruise by clicking the link in my signature. If it doesn't work, please let me know.

We were amazed at how big she was.....though she'd be small by today's

standards!

And yes we were saying 'Arrrrrghhh' for quite some time afterwards!

"Can ya give me an ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHH!!!?"....

Kidnapping a lusty corn-fed wench from the dining room on Island Night....

Marvin Hemfield's nightime show on Great Guana Cay....

The Junkanoo Band & Parade!

Swimming with the dolphins.......

Snorkeling on the far side of the island with "Sammy" the 6 foot barracuda...

Daily Double Horse racing, horse #4 "Hoof-Hearted"....

Too too many Bahama Mamas and Guana Grabbers...

Treasure Dollars....

Majestic's stability (not)....

Tender dispatching to Man-O-War, Green Turtle & Treasure Cay....

The Trasure Queen tender circling the Majestic at anchor, at night with rum punch & Calyspso Band in full swing....

Dressing as pirates & wenches....

A hammock, the rustle of palms overhead, the smell of the beach bar-b-que, the sound of steel drums, the glow of sunburn on your cheeks and the sight of Majestic at anchor off the pristine powder white beach.

• 3 weeks later...

Bahama Mama! Special drink!!!!

Bell tones that played "When You Wish Upon a Star" before every announcement.

from the brochure: Imagine the feeling of pride when you see the big red boat at the pier! And my hubby walking toward the ship at the pier saying: "Ahhhh! I'm getting a feeling of pride...."

Our daughter's 7th birthday onboard, where she fell in love with our French waiter Serge, and sang "Sur Le Pont d'Avignon" for him.

Our daughter's tears when she realized that Serge couldn't come home with us.

The surprising heat and humidity on the open air promenade deck.

The Magrodome over the swimming pool.

Scccottttttt Peterson!!!!

A wonderful four day family vacation, topped off with three free days at DisneyWorld.

• 2 weeks later...

I sailed the Oceanic April 1987. The were refurbishing the Oceanic in April of 1986 when we sailed on the Royale. Seems like a long time ago. I remember a little blonde head girl sleeping at dinner one night in her dad's arm and when the characters started their show she woke and hers eyes was a big as saucers. At that time a great ship

• 2 weeks later...

The Majestic was the first cruise we took back in 19?? while it was linked with Disney. While it was the smaller of their two (or three) ships we really enjoyed her. At that time it went to a little Abaco island (which I was later told that PCL owned).

A couple or so years later we went on a Carnival cruise. I'm not bashing the current Carnival (we sail on the Victory 6-26-05) but this ship (don't remember the name) was terrible in all respects (condition, service, food....).

Our third cruise was on the Majestic for her last year in service with PCL and, once again, it was a wonderful experience. That little island was no longer used and this trip took us to Mexico.

Our fourth cruise was to be on another PCL ship that sailed out of Houston. When we arrived at the airport we were delayed by the PCL rep and later told the cruise was cancelled because the ships rudder was broken while being tugged into port. I think that may have been the last straw for PCL because I believe they went into bankruptcy shortly after that happened. Although they talked about refunding, I think it was Visa that finally gave us the credit. Later I was sent papers authorizing Visa to get proceeds from the bankruptcy settlement. What a shame, I enjoyed the Majestic as much, if not more than the larger ships I've been on since. Glad to hear she is still on the waters!

• 4 months later...

My father was employed by Greyhound Lines Inc. Greyhound was owned by the Dial Corp. I was able to sail on Star Ship Royale and Star Ship Majestic. I was surfing pictures on the ships and ran up on one where one was in port at an embarkation. I can't remember where I saw it but if you look in the parking lot, you will only see Greyhound busses.

• 5 months later...

Oh my gosh, what wonderful memories of the Majestic this thread evoked! She will always be one of our very favorite ships, and there has never been an itinerary as wonderful as the Abacadabra cruise. But boy, did she rock & roll crossing the Gulf Stream :)

Our special Majestic souvenir is now a freshman in high school ;) Those Bahama Mama's are trouble I tell ya! Arrrrggghhhhhhhh :D

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the memories everyone. I sailed the Oceanic a couple of times when it was the BRB and still affiliated with Disney. It was a great ship and a great vacation. The first time I did the cruise then Disney because Disney was where I wanted to go. The next time, I did Disney first because it was the cruise I really wanted..... then, I started just cruising! Of course, the kids dictated trips to Disney when they were younger, but they are now both avid cruisers and would pick a cruise over any park! Thanks again for the memories of great times (with more to come, of course!).

bill

Hi all we cruised the StarShip Oceanic 2 times and the StarShip Majestic and the StatShip Atlandtic .On that cruise they found out Disney was starting a cruise line .The looks on the faces of the people who worked on the Alandtic !!!!!!! They new the end was insight . Our boy's loved the BRB .We did to .

:cool: Mr veendam

• 1 month later...

Pinkie,

I was ShorEx Manager / ACD at Premier. I did work with MTM ("Tiny Mikey").

I was at Premier for the last sailings of the Royale, Atlantic Inaugural, some time on Oceanic and Majestic's Inaugural year. We all rotated around the the ships in teams of CD, Associate CD, ACD / ShorEx and Hostess.

Depending on how well you know MTM, you likely stand on your tip toes when you say "Pizza & Pasta!" in the same sentence....

• 3 weeks later...
PCG, did your son work with the comedian Lenny while on SeaBreeze in 2000? I can't remember his last name, but he was once one of the writers for Benny Hill. We were onboard in August 2000 and saw Lenny's show, and he had me laughing so hard. My husband was selected from the audience to be in the show, as well.

We were to return in September 2000 but that was not to be. :(

Probably nobody will see this.. but we ran into Lenny Winston last year on the Celebrity Century...he is doing very well .. said he how has five hotels in the UK and he's living in Florida.. As funny as ever... We were on the SeaBreeze the year it ws taken for non-payment and was a great little tugboat of a ship. We had one of those huge cabins next to the Captains with a tub, lights that interferred at night if left on with navigation.... I miss those old ships..

• 1 month later...
I saw the Red Boat which I thought was the Oceanic rusting in Freeport August 2004. I have a few pictures of her tied up there as well. - pretty sad sight since she was such a classy ship.

The ship you saw in Freeport was originally the Eugenio for Costa, but not the Oceanic (although similar in design). She has since been taken to the breakers.

Oceanic is alive and well (for now) with Pullmantur and again a white ship.

• 3 weeks later...

In 1985, our first cruise was on the BIG RED BOAT's Oceanic. It was tied to a Disney vacation pkg. What a great time we had. Still stay in touch with a couple we met on the cruise. I was working murderous hours and our son was 5 yo, so it was truly a needed family vacation. This one had the Disney characters on it, but they were available so seldom it was impossible to get a picture of them with our son minus the 20 other kids clinging to them. Because the cabin was small, my son and I would shower and dress first, then get breakfast together. After the first day, he was up early to get to the kid’s activities.

The second one was 4 years later on the BIG RED BOAT's Majestic. Our son was old enough to have the run of the ship and he did. He would be up the first thing in the morning with the “plan of the day” AND the hiliter to indicate where he would be that day. He was allowed because of his age to sign himself in and out of Pluto’s playhouse or whatever it was called. We would see him for lunch and dinner, the remainder of the time he was gone. Could not have been better for the wife and I. We still laugh about the time he returned to the room in the middle of the day, the wife and I were having some quality time and fortunately remembered to lock/lock the door. This was the first days of key cards. His key card would not work, oh darn we thought until the steward tried and failed. He announced loudly, such that the entire deck could hear, that our son should come back in about an hour and he was sure his card would work then. LOLOL The Majestic cruise was post-disney and had Hanna-Berra characters on board. And they were everywhere, 24x7. What a wonderful change.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I loved Premier! The Abacos Islands....yes! I fell in love with the Abacos whilst sailing on the "Big Red Boat"...it was the Majestic I beleive (more years ago than I care to think about). To my knowledge no one goes to the Abacos (yes, I know that they are in the Bahama chain) anymore. My hubby and I have often talked about renting a beach house in the Abacos, I think we need to do that. Thanks for the memories.;)

Archived