how much time at Mendenhall Glacier

sweetsly

i don't think anyone else is going to be able to tell you how long it will take for you to enjoy the view. do you want to hike any of the paths?

don't plan too much, go with the flow..there is so much to see and enjoy everywhere you look.

We spent about an hour there last time and didn't have enough time to go through the visitor center, walk the trails, and take pictures. I want to hike to the waterfalls this time. We're going again this summer and plan to spend an afternoon - I agree Toyz711 - don't plan too much and "go with the flow"...

Personally I think that 45 minutes is too short unless you want to be a "tourist", click a few pictures and say you've "been there, done that." There is a movie you can watch (maybe 10-15 minutes long) and a short hike to a viewing platform that in itself there and back with a stop for pictures would easily take 30 minutes.

If you want to do any hiking at all near there, definitely allow more time. I hiked one of the loop trails and it took an hour or two. No need to rush once you are there - it is beautiful to see the lake, the glacier, do some hiking (most trails are easy), and to just enjoy yourself. You can bring a picnic lunch.

However, if this person is trying to coordinate this timeframe with other tour schedules, 45 min. is enough time for some people. It's worth a look but if you have other tour desires, I would put the priority there.

You get there, you look at the glacier, you take a few pictures, you leave. That works fine.

BUT -- if you want to, there is a magnificent visitor center with lots of great exhibits, and there are good hiking trails that you can spend as much time on as you want to.

Are you doing lots of other things in Juneau and just want to be able to say "We saw the Glacier"? Then half an hour will do. Do you want a nice relaxing day in Juneau without hurrying around? Then go out to the glacier and spend several hours enjoying the area. Think about how much time you spend at the Grand Canyon and it will be the same!

Have a GREAT cruise!:D

Yes the photo point trail is w/c accessable, but parts uphill. The handicap entrance is on the side of the Visitor center if you need the elevator, walking past the main entrance. There is also a ramp into the front, but uphill.

Accessibility

Basic facts about the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center's accessibility to visitors with disabilities:

» The visitor center has two accessible entrances - an upper entrance with a ramp and a lower entrance with elevators.

» The first parking lot offers restricted parking for vehicles displaying the international symbol of access or official identification issued by a city or state.

» The visitor center's film and video exhibits are captioned. Personal listening devices may be checked out from the Information Desk for the Magnificent Mendenhall movie.

» A public TTY is available at the visitor center's information desk.

» Photo Point Trail and the salmon viewing are accessible

Archived