Berlin alternative

chinaplus

The closest town to Warnemunde is Rostock and it has some interesting areas. However if you feel more ambitious the train goes to Lubeck which is a UNESCO town with a big and very interesting old town. Then there is Schwendin where there is a castle worth seeing and a lovely lake. I think if you do a search on this thread under any of those towns you will get some good information. People have posted about renting a car and drivng to these towns also.

If you don't want to take the long trip to Berlin, I would highly recommend renting a car and driving yourselves around the mecklenburg countryside. We rented from Hertz right at the dock and spent the day going to Heiligendamm, Wismar, Lubeck and Schwerin. Very easy to do and a relaxing change of pace from the city-intensive daily port stops on that trip.

I'm planning on the NCL Schwerin City of Dukes tour. There is a 90 min bus ride to Schwerin, boat ride on one of the lakes and a tour of the castle which seems very nice. Time for a little shopping for "local handicrafts". I would probably rent a car if I wasn't a solo female in unfamiliar territory and not speaking German.:rolleyes:

The train is very easy to use in this area. If you do a search on the boards, I've written some instructions in previous threads on seeing Lubeck, Wismar, and Bad Doberan by train during your port stop. We've also been to Warnemunde and Rostock and liked those places too. I think my favorites would be Wismar and then Lubeck.

Have a great trip,

Donna

How far is hamburg from these cities??
Hamburg to Rostock: about 115 miles.

Hamburg to Lubeck: about 40 miles.

Hamburg to Wismar: about 80 miles.

Hamburg to Bad Doberan: about 115 miles

For comparison:-

Hamburg to Berlin: about 180 miles.

Berlin to Rostock: about 140 miles.

Hope that's what you're looking for.

We did a very nice excursion from the ship to Bad Doberan. Visited an historic church and then took a steam train ride to the seaside where we had refreshments in a nice hotel and then walked along the beach. An excellent alternative.

Archived