Is Livingston safe to just walk around in without a tour guide?

clerky96

• 2 weeks later...

You would have to get there first. Livingston is about 20-25 away from the port by launcha (small boat), the trip itself is beautiful. Although I visited as part of a group, I would feel perfectly safe walking around and visiting alone if that is what you want to do. We did bump into other tourists who were there alone and they seemed very happy and comfortable.

• 7 months later...

I do not recall any boats there waiting to "taxi" people to Livingston. I think that would have to be pre-arranged. All the small boats were dedicated to various tours. I was a fairly long ride (approx. 30 minutes) so I think it requires some pre-planning.

Livingston is primarily accessed by water. I think they said there is one road out over the mountains. My guess is that from the cruise port to Livingston would half a day to drive. Not possible as a shore excursion. There are taxi available at the cruiseship terminal for rides out to the waterfall. The taxi drivers must stay outside the terminal building and have the tour guides allowed access to wrangle up passengers for them then bring them outside the restricted gate.

Archived