Best bargain in an underwater film camera?

Grits53

I've spent the past two days searching the net for reviews on inexpensive underwater cameras but haven't come up with much. I might snorkel 3 or 4 times a year, so I don't want to sink big bucks into a fancy underwater camera. However, I'd like to have something that takes a little better quality pictures than the Kodak disposables do. The most common ones I see are the brands SeaLife and See & Sea. Does anyone have one of these cameras that are in the $30 to $150 range? I don't want a digital. I want a 35mm film camera with auto film advance and the best lense possible for the money. A zoom lense would be nice, but I really don't expect to get one at this price. I do have a pretty nice 35mm "dry land" camera and a Minolta Dimage digital, but I don't want to buy housings for them. I just don't trust them not to leak. Your suggestions will be much appreciated! :)

I'm not sure if your concern is $ or a housing leaking. You are not going to damage your camera using a reputable housing following all directions and properly maintained. Prices can be under $200 ( http://focuscamera.com/sc/froogle-lead-1.asp?id=964594933&rf=froogle&dfdate=01_11_2007&sid=749634542 ) for the housing made by/for Minolta.

Darn - pushed the submit button too soon. I've used both brands you're looking at. Neither is spectacular; they are, after all, point and shoots with out particularly good optics. The Sea & Sea we rented out of the shop I used to run was hard to keep in service even if we didn't let the guests handle their own film. We would install and remove the film for them and we still got floods. This was a few years ago so they may have gotten better. By the way, the technology used to seal the two is no better than and in many cases less reliable that the seals on a good housing. You pretty much get what you pay for although the classic Nikonos is a stone b**ch to keep dry. An eyelash across the o-ring can cause a leak, so expensive doesn't always make easier.:o

Thank you, Eman. It is good to hear that the housings are safe to use. I might just have to go that route. I'd just hate for it to leak and ruin my good camera, and then have no camera for the rest of the cruise. I suppose I could always buy another camera in port, though. I will look into it.

Digital is really the better way, but it costs more.

This is one of the best deals I've seen, for film camera. Leisurepro is a "gray market" shop, meaning you don't get the manufacturer's warranty, but you do get their (LP's) warranty. This deal has the MX10 (a well known workhorse) plus the strobe. If you want just the camera it's $150 from them. Free shipping.

I have an housing for my Canon A85 and have used it multiple times. If you properly seal it, you'll have zero problems. They're meant to be used to about 100 ft. underwater :) I paid about $200 for mine. But I am also a scuba diver so I knew I'd get more use out of it.

Don't totally throw out the idea of using point and shoot only...it can be disappointing to get your roll of film delivered back to you and discover a lot of plain blue photos! (which is going to happen - just the nature of how light is absorbed into the water) At least with digital you can see what you took right then and there and just develop the few you really like.

Just another thought. Maybe rethink using Kodak or Fuji waterproof disposables. If you are just snorkeling they're good to 15 ft which is plenty if you stay at the surface. I used to use an Iklite housing for the Kodak regular disposable for depths down to about 70 feet and got remarkably good results. Kodak changed the design of the disposable enough times that I couldn't adapt the housing any more or I would still be using it for some applications. Remember good light and really, really close or you're just going to get blue with little specs where you just KNOW there was a fish.:D

Just another thought. Maybe rethink using Kodak or Fuji waterproof disposables. If you are just snorkeling they're good to 15 ft which is plenty if you stay at the surface. I used to use an Iklite housing for the Kodak regular disposable for depths down to about 70 feet and got remarkably good results. Kodak changed the design of the disposable enough times that I couldn't adapt the housing any more or I would still be using it for some applications. Remember good light and really, really close or you're just going to get blue with little specs where you just KNOW there was a fish.:D

I agree with rickcanada, These snap shot cameras take fairly decent pics, just remember to turn on your flash. I used one on my last trip and took the pics posted on the link below. Check them out I think they were worth the $24 I paid for it on the cruise ship. I reused it twice now and had no trouble with leakage. They are the best for the money just get close to your subject and turn the flash on for each pic.

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=144249230/a=86210910_86210910/t_=86210910

I read your initial post and if your snorkeling you will not get photos like the ones I posted. I was diving with the camera in about 45' of water. When your diving you have more time to zero in on your subject. If your snorkleing, unless your a pro with weights and incredible lung capacity, you may be disappointed in your results. If your snapping pics from the surface then you will not need the flash, the ambient sunlight will wash it out anyway. In order to get the color you need to be close (3-6) feet or your photos will be washed out with a blue haze. That link for the Snap Sights Optics camera is a good one (cheap). That is the exact camera I used for my pics. At any rate I think this is the camera for you. Also compact so great for travel. They usually sell these on the cruise ships at the photo center.

This is an example of the photos I got with the cheap camera. I did use the flash underwater, but unfortunately there was some 'feedback'. Next time I may do it with high speed film and no flash.

The other picture is of the actual camera. I got it at Bass Pro, but I also saw it at some watersports stores and some CVS stores.

55343-R1-10-13_011edit.jpg.3b0b9aaca60977a91bafa78f4184baef.jpg

349377803_Florida06302internet.jpg.a534dba68a2b8913254439f467716a79.jpg

Great thread! We are doing RCIs Southern Carribean route in March and plan to Snorkle at every island, so we are trying to decide about cameras vs housings etc. I had no dea that there was a reusable waterproof point and shoot for 20 bucks! That's almost the same as an underwater disposable and a lot more economical and earth friendly. We've used the disposables before and have actually gotten some fairly good pictures but it takes practice and patience.Thanks so much for the tip!

Here's a well known company that makes housings for various makes & models.

http://www.ikelite.com/

They also used to sell an automatic point & shoot 35 mm in a housing for about $100. I don't see it on their site any more but you could check ebay.

The unfortunate reason you don't see the aquashot on the Ikelite website is because disposable cameras manufactured in the present no longer fit the housing.

I just upgraded my underwater camera equipment so let me tell everyone about a great bargain. I just bought a factory refurbished Olympus Stylus 500 from Olympus. I also purchased the Olympus PT-026 underwater housing also direct from Olympus. Both items were purchased via eBay. The camera with shipping was $106 and the underwater housing was $46. For just over$150 I now have an underwater camera outfit that takes really great pictures.

The Stylus 500 was one of the top-rated 5MP cameras when it came out. It takes truly good pictures either on land or underwater. I have a 'prosumer' Panasonic digital camera which cost several times more. One has to have an 8 X 10 or larger print plus look very clodely to tell the difference between the pictures produced by these two cameras.

Before this I used a pair of Hanimex Amphibian 35mm film cameras when snorkeling or diving. Theyy took good pictures but it had gotten to the point where replacement 'o'-rings for these cameras were virtually impossible find plus I wanted the convenience of digital cameras.

This solution isn't for everyone. However for those who want to take spectacular underwater pictures at bargain basement prices this outfit is a great buy. Hope this info is helpful. If anyone has questions and wants to contact me my email is pilot70d@yahoo.com

Everyone have a great day out there.

bruce-r, thanks for the explanation. I have this camera and housing and have taken good pics down to 100 ft. Too bad it's no longer offered. When I first got it I used 400 iso and liked the pics but they were grainy. Recently I've learned that 50 or 100 iso is better as the flash will illuminate the subject just fine for close up shots. As close ups are what I normally go for, I'm looking forward to trying it out on our cruise in 2 weeks. Backscatter is another matter that I sometimes get and other time don't get.

....can't wait to blow bubbles again.

Great thread! We are doing RCIs Southern Carribean route in March and plan to Snorkle at every island, so we are trying to decide about cameras vs housings etc. I had no dea that there was a reusable waterproof point and shoot for 20 bucks! That's almost the same as an underwater disposable and a lot more economical and earth friendly. We've used the disposables before and have actually gotten some fairly good pictures but it takes practice and patience.Thanks so much for the tip!

We will be doing the southern on RCI in May. We've been researching the best beaches to snorkel from on each island. Agilitydog, If you don't mind me asking, specifically where are you planning to snorkel on each island? Sorry this is slightly off topic, but in keeping with the thread...I've been looking for an inexpensive digital underwater camera (under $100) anyone have suggestions? I saw one in Walmart but you could not review the photos. You needed to hook it up to a computer in order to see them, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Sorry this is slightly off topic, but in keeping with the thread...I've been looking for an inexpensive digital underwater camera (under $100) anyone have suggestions?

I just purchased a Snap Sights Pixtreme 3.2MP 4x Digital Zoom Waterproof Camera through Amazon. It cost me $95.85 and at the moment it qualifies for free super saver shipping. With the money I saved on shipping I also bought a 512mb card for it to bring my total to $105.84. Unfortunately supersaver means it takes longer to get here and won't be here till Feb 9th. I'm taking it with me on a cruise on RCI's Grandeur on the 17th-24th. I will report back here how well it works, good or bad.

Archived