Puerto Corinto, Nicaragua have you been here and what to do?

AZaTaz

I decided to post this in Panama port as can not find any place else to post it.

We are going on Princess Panama Adventure Cruise and this is one of the ports. I can not find any post on this port. My questions are:

Have you been here and what did you do/see?

Any independent tours that you enjoyed?

Are there private cabs/vans to be had to take travelers to Leon?

Any other information would be welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

We booked a private tour in Nicaragua during our 9/07 Princess cruise. Since we don't particularly like ship tours, we booked a privat tour with ToursNicaragua... http://www.toursnicaragua.com - They were recommended on another travel board. Since we haven't taken the tour yet, I can't give you any first-hand information but the owners are ex-pats from the U.S. and their website is very comprehensive. We'll be going to Leon (Nicaragua's 2nd largest city), Leon Viejo (basically ruins) and San Jacinto Hot Springs (to see the bubbling pots). To give you an idea of distances... Puerto Corinto is 65 miles from Leon Viejo and San Jacinto is 35 miles from Puerto Corinto.

Also read a travel board account of Puerto Corinto: Puerto Corinto is a very small town. It is Nicaragua's only container port on the Pacific and has exactly one container crane. The town itself is quite "rustic". A typical street corner has very few cars, lots of bicycles & pedicabs. We walked straight down what appeared to be a main drag to the plaza in the center of town. The church was on side & on the side was the "zoo" the park. It consisted of a pen with a crocodile & a bunch of turtles. There was nothing to do or buy in town so we walked back to the ship. There were several vendor stands set up there.

Hope this helps... Sandy

Lois it would be much appreciated if you would post what you find and do.

Sandy, thanks for the info and site. You will be there just before our trip but let us know how your tour goes.

Archived