Good digital camera recommendations??

ebby870

anyone have thoughts on a good digital camera that will do well with the humidity, etc. we need it to pretty "idiot" proof (takes good pics in all situations; like in room, off balcony, night time) and at least 5 mega pixels.....

I love my Canon SD550. We also purchased the underwater case which is great for taking it to the beach too.

Its small and easy to use too.

There are a couple of places to check for camera ratings - amazon.com has user comments and photos taken with the cameras buy regular ol' folks like us - also pricegrabber.com will show you the best price along with user reviews.

Diane

anyone have thoughts on a good digital camera that will do well with the humidity, etc. we need it to pretty "idiot" proof (takes good pics in all situations; like in room, off balcony, night time) and at least 5 mega pixels.....

How much do you want to spend?

Great sites

http://www.dpreview.com/

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

My dad bought me the Canon PowerShot A630 for Christmas, but gave it to me at Thanksgiving so I could take on my cruise! It's Consumer Reports #1 ranked camera (I recommend getting the November 06 issue if you can get your hands on it). It's a little on the larger size as far as DCs go, but I can do so much with it. 8 megapixels, 16x zoom, rotating screen so you can get different angles and avoid scratches. The prints are amazing. Cruise buddies emailed their pics, and my prints stand out as the best of the bunch.

I purchased this camera last year prior to our cruise.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-WPi-Waterproof-Digital-Optical/dp/B000ARIV7M/sr=8-12/qid=1168782352/ref=pd_bbs_12/105-5049601-7606044?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

If you look on this page there are other camera for underwater. Keep in mind that they are not for scuba diving. They don't go down that far. The reason I got this is due to the sand and moisture. I took it to the beach, pool and rafting down the White river in Jamacia. If you look at the pictures in my signature you will see some of the pictures that were taken with it. When I returned from our cruise last year I sold it on Ebay and only lost $30 from the price I purchased it. Since last year other cameras have come out in fact there appears to be one on the page the Amazon page I linked above with 7.2MP.

I have two other camera that I love. Casio EX-Z750 (7.2MP) & EXz1000 (10MP)

I like them both due to the size. You can get a case and just hook them to your belt. You don't have to carry a big bulky camera for decent pictures.

You will get a lot of different opions to the question you are asking. Some people say that you do not need high megapixils but I disagree. I will not use digital zoom in the camera. You loose to much clarity. I will however zoom once I get to my laptop so I use the higher MP to be able to crop the pictures.

I hope that I helped.

Jordan

I would suggest the Fuji S5100 or another Fuji S5XXX camera. It has a 10X optical zoom which I love, most digitals only have a 3x optical zoom. Be carefull when reading zoom capabilities, there is a difference between optical and digital zoom. To use the full zoom I use a tripod for the best pictures. We have had this camera for 2 years and love using it. It has an auto function or you can use the presets for sports, scenery, or about any other situation you can think of. It also will take short video clips if needed. In Hawaii the humidity did not affect the camera at all, but it sure did a number on my wifes hair. The camera is only 4 meg, but the S5200 is 5.1 meg. I have attached a review of the S5200 for your reading.

http://http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S5200/S5200A.HTM

I purchased the Canon A630 at one of the online camera outlets (buydig.com) for $255 (including taxes and shipping) and have been exceptionally pleased. I did a lot of research before making this purchase, and it was time well spent. I found that this camera is one of the highest rated in terms of customer satisfaction. I must concur.

How about a digital camera chat site, this one should have a familiar feel:

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

...anybody know a good oil to use in my car for my drive to the port? Nevermind!!!

Castrol 10w-30 is a good oil for most cases. Of course it depends on the car you drive and the size of the engine. If you drive a diesel, especially in a truck you can't go wrong with Chevron Delo 400 15w-40..........Oh, silly me, you were being sarcastic. :o

I purchased the Canon A630 at one of the online camera outlets (buydig.com) for $255 (including taxes and shipping) and have been exceptionally pleased. I did a lot of research before making this purchase, and it was time well spent. I found that this camera is one of the highest rated in terms of customer satisfaction. I must concur.

It's a great camera. I love mine. Every time I ask somebody else to take a picture of my friends and me, the person comments "nice camera."

Love our Casio ex-s770! We got it just before our vacation (see shots we took with it through the Fascination link in my signature), so easy to use! My dad couldn't get over what a great camera it was, kept talking about it to his friends after we got back, so we bought him one for Christmas and he was thrilled! Bought it on amazon, infact my review is on there. Have fun choosing! :D

I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-H5 7.2 MP It is the best digital camera I have owned, and I have owned 2 Kodak and a Fuji. I decided that I was going to invest in a good digital camera and I did. It has a huge 3" screen to view your pictures. :eek: The image quality is wonderful for outdoor photography. With 12x zoom you can get pretty much any picture you want anywhere. :D I just looked it up on the web and actually the price has dropped from what I paid for it to 395.00 at Circuit City, which is an awesome price for a 7.2 MP... BTW there is no waterpack to be used with this camera, but the disposables are just as good! :)

6 MP, 12 x zoom, $350 (or under, if you hit a sale) at Best Buy (I always go the extra $50 for the extended warranty...nobody stands behind any of their own products anymore, and BB is really good at fixing or repairing what needs to be handled).

It comes with a really easy to follow manual, and the dials have a short explanation on the LCD screen as you're browsing through them. The pictures are EXCELLENT, though the camera is not small nor compact. It's lightweight and has comfy grips, but is definately NOT a "pocket camera". It has lots of different settings, including a "beach" setting (to capture the accurate colors of the water, etc.).

7698896_rc.jpg

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7698896&st=sony+cybershot&lp=5&type=product&cp=1&id=1138084657346

I just got this a few months ago and love it. I upgraded from a Canon Powershot (which I hated, the flash washed everything out and pictures taken without the flash were really dark and grainy). I've also had a Nikon Cool Pix, which I loved (but went "lens-first" into a birthday cake, thanks to my mother, LOL).

I just received my new Kodak Z650, purchased on ebay. 6.1 mega pixels, and TEN TIMES OPTICAL ZOOM, plus 5 times digital zoom. Love it. Thru the lens focus and exposure metering. And the well known Kodak "color". $244.

It would help if you'd let us know what you need/want in a digital camera. There are so many options! Do you want a point-and-shoot camera that takes decent photos or something more upscale with more fleibility?

I have a Canon Rebel XTi digital SLR. It's fabulous! I love the flexibility of being able to change out lenses for different situations. With 10.1 megapixels the photos are crystal clear and very detailed.

Cheers!

Jayne

:)

...anybody know a good oil to use in my car for my drive to the port? Nevermind!!!

Our mechanic recommends 100% synthetic, we use Mobil and I have to agree it really does improve milage. I'd also recommend Lucas feul cleaner every couple of tanks.

I have a Nikon Coolpix, i like it a lot, it takes nice photos on most settings (not tried all settings), but for travelling we are looking at getting one of the 'pocket' type cameras like the Canon SD700-900 types - which are easy to put in a purse or small bag etc., and the image stabalization is nice - but we are still searching our options.

For me I realized too late that the size of the camera was very important. Last year I purchased a Canon Powershot S2 IS, a very nice camera with a 12x optical zoom and a host of other features. A great camera for those of us whose life isn't wrapped around the hobby of amateur photography, as you can let it do most of the work.

However, given its size, I found I didn't carry it all the time, and therefore missed at least two exceptional sets of photographs (killer whale doing backflips as we cruised by one sea day, and some stunning scenery transiting the channels out of Belize).

Before this last cruise I purchased a Canon Powershot SD800 IS. It is compact enough that I basically carried it everywhere, in a case attached to my belt/pants. Most of the time I forgot I was carrying it. It is an outstanding camera (a review here from a professional photographer).

There are plenty of good camera's available, but you might first want to decide what size you want to lug around, then go from there.

Kevin

I highly recommend the Canon EOS Rebel..I have one and love it..Takes excellent photos that are good enough to blowup poster size..Its very easy to use and comes with a Zoom program for your computer that allows you to zoom in and crop the photo..The camera is a little pricey but well worth the $$$

I have a Canon A510...But we get more use out of my wifes Casio EX-S500 because of the size, ease of operation and picture quality. We also have waterproof cases for both cameras. I suggest something small (fits in your pocket) that has an optional waterproof case (for snorkeling, beach, or any activity that your camera may get wet).

Our mechanic recommends 100% synthetic, we use Mobil and I have to agree it really does improve milage. I'd also recommend Lucas feul cleaner every couple of tanks.

Thanks DJ, want to make sure I am thoroughly lubricated on my way to the port...;)

Archived