Eastern vs. Southern vs. Western Caribbean....

Wrkathomewife

I've been on one cruise to the Caribbean before, on Disney. We went to Nassau and their own island. I'd like to knw what's the difference between these regions and if one is better? My hubby and I are considering a trip for our 1 year and would like to go to Jamaica and Grand Cayman.

Ellie

6/21/06

Disney Cruise

I've been on one cruise to the Caribbean before, on Disney. We went to Nassau and their own island. I'd like to knw what's the difference between these regions and if one is better? My hubby and I are considering a trip for our 1 year and would like to go to Jamaica and Grand Cayman.

The Southern Caribbean is my favorite, and seems to be the favorite of most. The islands are just more scenic and the beaches are better. One of the drawbacks is having to fly to PR to embark (in most cases).

As for the Western, where you are thinking of going.....Grand Cayman is a nice, and very safe island. I highly recommend swimming with the stingrays there. It is very flat and not very scenic, but it's a nice place to visit. Jamaica is very dirty and the locals can be really aggressive. It's consistenly a less-desired place among long-time cruisers. Also, tendering from the ship instead od tieing to a dock occurs more in the Western

The Eastern has excellent beaches and the geography is a little nicer. In order, I recommend Southern, Eastern, Western.

The Southern Caribbean is my favorite, and seems to be the favorite of most. The islands are just more scenic and the beaches are better. One of the drawbacks is having to fly to PR to embark (in most cases).

As for the Western, where you are thinking of going.....Grand Cayman is a nice, and very safe island. I highly recommend swimming with the stingrays there. It is very flat and not very scenic, but it's a nice place to visit. Jamaica is very dirty and the locals can be really aggressive. It's consistenly a less-desired place among long-time cruisers. Also, tendering from the ship instead of tieing to a dock occurs more in the Western

The Eastern has excellent beaches and the geography is a little nicer. In order, I recommend Southern, Eastern, Western.

this depends on what you like to do:

Southern: most deversified islands (our favorite) some of the prettiest beaches in the world.

Eastern: best shopping, some nice beaches, mainly in St Thomas, my problem with the Eastern though most of us have done it the most, is the lack of friendliness among the locals. St Thomas they hardly give you the time or day, Tortolla they really don't realize how much tourism helps their economy or that is how they act (only recently) and Nassau, forget it; nothing...

Western: Ports very similar depending on where you stop; best snorkeling by far and the people are nice except for Jamaica. GC and Cozumel are great: Jamaica I wouldn't get off the ship except to do Dunns River Falls in Ocho Rios, Roatan very poor, really 3rd World but the nicest locals of any island we have visitied: Belize, take it or leave it.

NMnita

Archived