just HOW do you manage those money belts anyway?

ok, so I know that the money belt goes around your waist and under your slacks but just how do you discreetly get money to/fro? or do you carry "pocket change" and keep your hand on it in your pocket all the time or put that money in your shoe or what? I'm just not sure how this is gonna work.

Also, what about leaving it in the hotel safe - would it be safe (we're staying at Hiltons in London & Rome). I assume they have one at the front desk?

If you're staying in Hiltons in London and Rome, you might even have a safe in your room in the same way that many ships have safes in the cabins. I never count anything as guaranteed but using it has got to be better than either leaving valuables lying around or taking them onto the street with you.

Over time, I have got out of using money belts in most places that I visit. I take the view that I carry everything around with me in a wallet in my trousers pocket in London, anyway, so how much more at risk am I really going to be when I'm in Paris or Rome or New York? The difference is only that it's more hassle getting replacement cards and so on - so the only thing I now do differently is to take only the money I need and only one card. That way I can fall back on the reserves in the hotel safe if something bad really happens.

I didn't worry about being too discrete when getting out my cc or debit card. It was fairly easy to pull it up, and I really didn't need to get it out that often. I did keep some small change in my back pack/purse. (It was one of those one-shouldered packs and I wore it more forward and to the side, so it was under my arm).

Archived