Bermuda

bleuiz

I have no idea. We were told by our key account manager that there are no children's facilities on the two ships. They would not turn away a child, but there are no facilities for them.

As for people who booked direct with Celebrity.. who knows.

I just received the new brochures for 07/08 Celebrity Xpeditions... agent's copies.. still awaiting on copies to send to clients.

Thanks as always...

ocngypz,

I have no idea. We were told by our key account manager that there are no children's facilities on the two ships. They would not turn away a child, but there are no facilities for them.

As for people who booked direct with Celebrity.. who knows.

I just received the new brochures for 07/08 Celebrity Xpeditions... agent's copies.. still awaiting on copies to send to clients.

The fact that there are no dedicated facilities for children, youth, and teens does not necessarily mean that there won't be programs for these age groups, especially during the Bermuda season when there probably will be a lot of children aboard. Most cruise lines put counsellors aboard to run programs when there are fifteen or more young people aboard. The difference is that the cruise director has to schedule facilities for these programs out of the facilities normally used for adult activities. When I was aboard a sister to these vessels (MV Tahitian Princess, nee MV R3), the cruise director assigned the card and game room to the teen program for the whole cruise so bridge play got stuck in the library. I'm not sure what spaces the cruise director assigned for the younger groups, but I also don't remember any interference from them. Overall, there was not much impact on most passengers' experience. I, however, had several delightful conversations with a very cordial and attractive youth counsellor from Toronto named Leslie King, whom I met several times out on the port promenade. Her name is very memorable to me because the late President Ford was born Leslie King, Jr., but his name changed to Gerald Rudolph Ford, Jr. when his stepfather adopted him.

Norm.

We have been to Bermuda 3 times all on Celebrity's ships. Bermuda is so beautiful and everyone so nice it is difficult to mess up a trip. One of our trips was during a hurricane and one was during a big storm neither hurt our good time. Both were in Sept. or Oct.

Do not want to burst your bubble but I checked last night and looked like every single outside cabin was sold out for the entire season on the Journey. The suites were open for $12 - 14,000 a week. So you may have to act pretty quick on what ship you are going to take.

I really do not think it matters much, you are only spending about 2 - 3 days at sea the rest is in port, at the beach and sight seeing. By the way get a bus pass and you the public transportation and water taxi around the island. It is great fun and you really get to know the locals. All very nice people.

We have been to Bermuda 3 times all on Celebrity's ships. Bermuda is so beautiful and everyone so nice it is difficult to mess up a trip. One of our trips was during a hurricane and one was during a big storm, neither hurt our good time. Both were in Sept. or Oct.

Do not want to burst your bubble but I checked last night and looked like every single outside cabin was sold out for the entire season on the Journey. The suites were open for $12 - 14,000 a week. So you may have to act pretty quickly on what ship you are going to take.

I really do not think it matters much, you are only spending about 2 - 3 days at sea the rest is in port, at the beach and sight seeing. By the way get a bus pass and use the public transportation buses and water taxi around the island. It is great fun and you really get to know the locals. All very nice people.

We are booked on the May 5th cruise to Bermuda. I have been hearing that they may not have any formal nights. Is this true? Is it really going to be resort casual? I sure hope so. Also, what does butler service entail? Do they iron your clothes if needed?

We are booked on the 10/27/07 Repositioning cruise, which includes 2 days in Bermuda. Please check the Roll Call for this cruise, which will answer a lot of your questions.

From various sources, it appears that there will be no formal nights, and it will be open seating, not traditional early & late seatings. Further, it looks like there will be neither children's facilities nor childrens programs.

If you want a Bermuda cruise this year, unfortunately you'll likely not be able to choose Celebrity.

Happy Sailing

nlvc

I'm really glad we went to Bermuda last year on Zenith. We were able to get a great price, and we were docked in Hamilton and St. George so we got to experience the island in the most convenient manner.

One day we took the bus out to Horseshoe Bay, and at the Hamilton bus depot we met several folks who had come from the Dockyard after arriving on the Explorer. They had spent 90 minutes crammed into buses trying to get to Hamilton. Not our idea of a good time.

On the way back we ran into a Nor'easter which tossed the Zenith around like a cork. I wouldn't have wanted to do this on a ship that was 50% smaller.

I'm really glad we went to Bermuda last year on Zenith. We were able to get a great price, and we were docked in Hamilton and St. George so we got to experience the island in the most convenient manner.

One day we took the bus out to Horseshoe Bay, and at the Hamilton bus depot we met several folks who had come from the Dockyard after arriving on the Explorer. They had spent 90 minutes crammed into buses trying to get to Hamilton. Not our idea of a good time.

On the way back we ran into a Nor'easter which tossed the Zenith around like a cork. I wouldn't have wanted to do this on a ship that was 50% smaller.

Zenith is 46000 tons, Journey is 30000. Not quite 50% smaller.

Ridiculous its 20 minutes by fast ferry from the Dockyards to Hamilton and its a wonderful ride and the Ferry holds a lot more than the bus....but I do prefer to be docked at Hamilton or St George...so for that you'll have to go to NCL which goes to both.

Yes, you and I know that but apparently the Explorer passengers did not. When we went from Hamilton out to King's Wharf we took the ferry.

Their fault any guide book , any time spent on any travel forum or cruise critic would tell them to get a day pass and take the Ferry. I can't imagine that many people not doing some research....but for them mostly the ship is the destination with so little time in Bermuda.

Karen: I have done the New York to Bermuda cruise 7 times on Celebrity and I would never do any other cruise line. I have gone on a carnival cruise once in my life and never again will I ever do that. The celebrity cruise ships are the best hands down from the service to the food. Do the Bermuda cruise on Celebrity. They will have the new ship sailing out of New jersey beginning in April called the Journey as the will be retiring the Zenith. ( How sad )

• 1 month later...

Before you decide on the cruise line, check out a few things. We have been to Bermuda on NCL, RC and Celebrity.

My choice Celebrity.

REASONS

1. you are not out in the ocean, you do not need to tender

2. you are right on Front Street

3. you arrive early,like 11am

4. you do not leave until 3pm, most ships leave at 12 noon........it is like an extra day in Bermuda!

5. you move once ST George to Hamilton, 6am-9am. Some ships are always on the move! Last fall, we arrived in St George with no problem. Another ship, one of the giant ones, could not get through the passage because of wind and the size of the ship. They spent the day sailing around!

6. Do you really want to be at the Dockyard? The Dockyard is nice place to visit, but do you want to be there with the other three or four jumbo ships, with 6,000 people

7. now the Journey [ I've heard it is open seating] no need to rush back to the ship, or eat ealry and go out for the evening in Bermuda.

8. Hamilton, just walk to the bus station, catch a bus to almost anyplace in Bermuda...........bus water taxi ticket is the best bargain

9. the bus deal from Boston is great!

Celebrity does give you a lot for the money.

I see you made a decision not to do Bermuda this year, so I am a little late. We sailed the NCL Crown to Bermuda and liked it just fine. We have also sailed Celebrity, giving me the advantage of comparing the two.... Absolutley a different experience, NCL excelled in some areas, Celebrity in others. I think as long as you go on each line with reasonable expectation you will be happy. You cannot expect a ship to be something it is not and then expect to be happy.

We did sail NCL in an owners suite, so of course that added to our pleasure. It is no big deal if you dont dock at all three ports. As a matter of fact, the day we were at the Dockyards we felt that we missed a lot the day we were in Hamilton and just took a ferry back there for the day... It is no big deal.

Here is our rather extensive picture review of our Bermuda cruise, should you decide to go next year. http://WWW.JustCruisin-sv.com

Before you decide on the cruise line, check out a few things. We have been to Bermuda on NCL, RC and Celebrity.

My choice Celebrity.

REASONS

1. you are not out in the ocean, you do not need to tender

2. you are right on Front Street

3. you arrive early,like 11am

4. you do not leave until 3pm, most ships leave at 12 noon........it is like an extra day in Bermuda!

5. you move once ST George to Hamilton, 6am-9am. Some ships are always on the move! Last fall, we arrived in St George with no problem. Another ship, one of the giant ones, could not get through the passage because of wind and the size of the ship. They spent the day sailing around!

6. Do you really want to be at the Dockyard? The Dockyard is nice place to visit, but do you want to be there with the other three or four jumbo ships, with 6,000 people

7. now the Journey [ I've heard it is open seating] no need to rush back to the ship, or eat ealry and go out for the evening in Bermuda.

8. Hamilton, just walk to the bus station, catch a bus to almost anyplace in Bermuda...........bus water taxi ticket is the best bargain

9. the bus deal from Boston is great!

Celebrity does give you a lot for the money.

Have sailed to Bermuda on 4 different lines:

Home Lines (Oceanic)

HAL (Statendam)

Crown (Crown Dynasty)

Celebrity (Meridian & Horizon)

The only time we tendered was on the Oceanic in Hamilton Harbor.

Meridian docked only at the Dockyards. The first time Celebrity ran a complimentary ferry to Hamilton. Subsequent cruises did not. We needed public transportation. But there is only room at the Dockyards (West End) for one ship.

According to the Future Cruise Consultant this month on the Constellation, Celebrity Journey and Quest (we were already booked on the Journey to Bermuda and booked another cruise on the Quest to the Caribbean) are upscale, strictly country club casual and have no kids programs.

Having sailed on several of the Renaissance ships we know they are built for 2 in a cabin. Kids would have a tough time finding things to do other than the pool.

We chose a balcony cabin on the starboard of the ship for 2 reasons:

We like to enjoy the entrance into St George when the Town Crier (is that the right guy?) fires the canon when we enter. We used to choose the port side to enjoy beautiful Hamilton Harbor and I wouldn't disagree with anyone for making that preference.

We like to enjoy Harbor Night on Wednesday night in Hamilton. If we're back on the ship before it's over we can still watch the festivities from our starboard side balcony.

Karen: I have done the New York to Bermuda cruise 7 times on Celebrity and I would never do any other cruise line. I have gone on a carnival cruise once in my life and never again will I ever do that. The celebrity cruise ships are the best hands down from the service to the food. Do the Bermuda cruise on Celebrity. They will have the new ship sailing out of New jersey beginning in April called the Journey as the will be retiring the Zenith. ( How sad )

We have sailed to Bermuda on Celebrity's Zenith and NCL's Norwegian Crown. We preferred the Crown mainly because it offered balcony cabins and free-style dining. Apparently Celebrity has recognized these shortcomings and now introduces the Journey with balcony cabins and open seating dining. We look forward to sailing on the Journey in September and hope it proves a worthy replacement for Norwegian Crown which is leaving NCL at the end of this year.

Archived