Please help...cashmere in the caribbean

lmmn

I have a super cute brown cashmere tank. I'm thinking about taking on our upcoming cruise in February. It's a tank...but it's cashmere....is this too heavy to wear for a caribbean cruise?

If it is true cashmere you should be fine-cashmere will "breathe" in warmer temps-I have a cashmere and silk wrap I take on cruises that I use at dinner and the shows-as the air conditioners can get really cold. Just make sure it is the real thing-there are lots of acrilyics that are faux cashmeres. They feel like the real thing and look like the real thing-but you know the differance if it turns off even a little warm.

If it is true cashmere you should be fine-cashmere will "breathe" in warmer temps-I have a cashmere and silk wrap I take on cruises that I use at dinner and the shows-as the air conditioners can get really cold. Just make sure it is the real thing-there are lots of acrilyics that are faux cashmeres. They feel like the real thing and look like the real thing-but you know the differance if it turns off even a little warm.

Agree 100%.

Agree 100%.

We were in Charleston, SC over New years. There is this craft market in this ol building called the old Slave Market-yes that was what it was 150 years ago-but it is a very old building-now it has a bunch of shops at one end and at the other end-craft booths, including even those very expensive gullah baskets.

In one store they were selling these pashminas/wraps which were 70% cashmere and 30% silk for $34-great price right? Then at one of the craft booths-these wraps that looked the same were $8-but then I looked at the label closer and it was 70% cashimere and 30 % silk. I then went back to the shop and looked at those wraps- and the same thing-not cashmere but cashimere. Needless to say I did not buy any-I guess the old saying is true-"if it sounds too good to be true-it probally isn't".

We were in Charleston, SC over New years. There is this craft market in this ol building called the old Slave Market-yes that was what it was 150 years ago-but it is a very old building-now it has a bunch of shops at one end and at the other end-craft booths, including even those very expensive gullah baskets.

In one store they were selling these pashminas/wraps which were 70% cashmere and 30% silk for $34-great price right? Then at one of the craft booths-these wraps that looked the same were $8-but then I looked at the label closer and it was 70% cashimere and 30 % silk. I then went back to the shop and looked at those wraps- and the same thing-not cashmere but cashimere. Needless to say I did not buy any-I guess the old saying is true-"if it sounds too good to be true-it probally isn't".

I know that building in Charleston. Been there, bought a basket. <g>

Yes, there are many street vendors all around the country that sell junk and tell you it's cashmere and/or pashmina. Personally, I think their wares should be confistated and they should be made to pay big fines. I see many of those street vendors here in NY too. Ya' get what you pay for!

Not only them-I bought a winter scarf made in Italy that I thought was cashmere-until it warmed up-cashmere was spelled crazy ofcourse-but I just figured it was spelled in Italian-then I looked at the label and in TINY print it said 100% acrylic. I paid too much for that ACRYLIC scarf! I don't care that something FEELS like cashmere-I want it to BREATHE.

That building in Charleston is great-but it does bother me-it's history-but I guess though, there is no reason to ignore our negative history and that building is very old and historicial.

Interesting about the labels...I checked it, and at least it's spelled correctly. It was not cheap, so I hope it is 100% cashmere. I appreciate your posts. I'm going to pack it...hopefully it will breathe!

Interesting about the labels...I checked it, and at least it's spelled correctly. It was not cheap, so I hope it is 100% cashmere. I appreciate your posts. I'm going to pack it...hopefully it will breathe!

then I am sure it is-plus you would KNOW if you have ever worn it on a warm day. I am glad you are smarter then I was. $40 (which is what I foolishly paid thinking I had a "deal") for an acrylic scarf is too much in my book.

What I love about geninue cashmere is temps can warm up and I won't feel overheated the way I do in acrylic. For example if I am wearing a cashmere scarf I can wear it while driving my car with the heat on-but an acrylic scarf I will remove when I get in the car. So acrylic is okay for a scarf-since it is easily removed-I just felt I paid too much for the scarf-but I thought I was buying cashemere at the time. Live and learn.

Most natural fibers adapt beautifully to any climate--cashmere, sheer wools, silks, linens, cottons--altho the new synthetics are pretty versatile too. I just like the summerlike look of lighter, brighter colors for cruises, except i always wind up packing a lot of black anyway. I've seen some pretty spring colors in cashmere on talbots and landsend websites lately. Ramie is the one fiber to avoid--it loses shape and grows larger and larger! (or, maybe that is just what is needed for cruisewear!) Rayon always takes dyes well, but then it is not good to wear outside if it is damp and rainy; colors may run--silk is another fabric that waterspots. and linen wrinkles, even the "wrinkle-free" linen is meant to look rumpled. i always test for wrinkle factor by scrunching the fabric, then releasing it.

If you purchased it at a legitimate store and the label says cashmere, then I'm sure it is.

Street vendors who sell acrylic labeled as cashmere aren't going to sell a tank top. Too tough a sale - they stick w/ scarves.

If you purchased it at a legitimate store and the label says cashmere, then I'm sure it is.

Street vendors who sell acrylic labeled as cashmere aren't going to sell a tank top. Too tough a sale - they stick w/ scarves.

but Jane. even legitimate stores have the faux-I was just not intelligent enough to realize that "cashmi" I think was how it was spelled was not Italian for cashmere! Being the age I am I did not notice that 100% acrylic in small letters until I put my glasses on-that was after I wore it and got heated in the car!

the interesting thing is at that same store (Marshalls)- I bought a cashmere winter scarf for less then that acrylic one. Ofcourse it was March and on sale!

I have only a couple of things that are 100% cashmere but I have lots that are cashmere and silk blends! Those are very nice- at least in the climate here!

One thing though too-I thought of-those wraps-really would not have been a bad price-I know the ships sell them for $10. It is just the ships don't try to "trick" you-you know they are acrylic! But tha tis all they are worth is $8 or $10! The shop that sold the same wrap as the vender for $34 was the rip-off.

Another thing-often in the caribbean-we see all that fake stuff-I know I went into a shop in st. Marten that had these "Coach" bags for $50 and the sales clerk insisted they were the real thing-(and spelled correctly) I knew better!

and I hate those little "free" tanzanite pendants (sometimes earring studs) the jewelry stores give out in the caribbean ports-it is very poor quality tanzanite ofcourse-and worthless! But people think they have something!

Most natural fibers adapt beautifully to any climate--cashmere, sheer wools, silks, linens, cottons--altho the new synthetics are pretty versatile too. I just like the summerlike look of lighter, brighter colors for cruises, except i always wind up packing a lot of black anyway. I've seen some pretty spring colors in cashmere on talbots and landsend websites lately. Ramie is the one fiber to avoid--it loses shape and grows larger and larger! (or, maybe that is just what is needed for cruisewear!) Rayon always takes dyes well, but then it is not good to wear outside if it is damp and rainy; colors may run--silk is another fabric that waterspots. and linen wrinkles, even the "wrinkle-free" linen is meant to look rumpled. i always test for wrinkle factor by scrunching the fabric, then releasing it.

I don't like ramie either-I get too warm in it. i have a couple of sweathers in that and I only wear them when we have a very cold snap-like in the teens- which does not happen often here. I have not worn those sweathers in 3 years-I have almost donated them a couple of times-but I figure as soon as I did I would regret it.

Now linen I find is still "warm" on me in the summer and I hate the way it wrinkles. So I rarely buy linen-I know others looks so nice in it-but for some reason I don't-I guess because I get heated in it. Maybe I should consider it a winter fabric on me?

Now I do have a linen-cotton blend shirt jacket I wear some in the summer-in air conditioned places. It is unlined-which I feel is the problem with most linen for summer-it is so hard to find unlined linen. The same goes for silk-why line silk with poly? It is no good then for wearing in the summer.

but Jane. even legitimate stores have the faux-I was just not intelligent enough to realize that "cashmi" I think was how it was spelled was not Italian for cashmere! Being the age I am I did not notice that 100% acrylic in small letters until I put my glasses on-that was after I wore it and got heated in the car!

We're saying the same thing here.

In a legitimate store, if the label says cashmere, it is.....that was my point. In your case, you just didn't look closely enough at the label which said something like cashmeeerie, or some other similiar phony spelling.

Personally, I think it's a deceptive practice, however, technically, it's not illegal.

One thing though too-I thought of-those wraps-really would not have been a bad price-I know the ships sell them for $10. It is just the ships don't try to "trick" you-you know they are acrylic! But tha tis all they are worth is $8 or $10! The shop that sold the same wrap as the vender for $34 was the rip-off.

I agree. The rayon or polyester shawls sold on the ships are certainly worth $10.

One ship I was on had a sign that called them Pashmina. That's illegal as well as insulting to people's intelligence. Many women were upset at the thought that the cruiseline was trying to pull the polyester over their eyes <g> and complained. The sign went down the next day and was replaced with "shawl's".

Another thing-often in the caribbean-we see all that fake stuff-I know I went into a shop in st. Marten that had these "Coach" bags for $50 and the sales clerk insisted they were the real thing-(and spelled correctly) I knew better!

Well, as they say, there's a fool born every minute and they shop in the carribbean! :D

and I hate those little "free" tanzanite pendants (sometimes earring studs) the jewelry stores give out in the caribbean ports-it is very poor quality tanzanite ofcourse-and worthless! But people think they have something!

I'm not familiar with those, but I'm sure you're quite right. I mean, who hands out free jewelry that's worth anything?

But hey, if a store is giving out a pendant for free, it's a terrific gift to bring back for a little girl to play dress-up.

But anyone that thinks they're getting something worth anything probably believes in Santa too. :)

That building in Charleston is great-but it does bother me-it's history-but I guess though, there is no reason to ignore our negative history and that building is very old and historicial.

Geezus, they didn't sell slaves there it is where the slaves did their shopping.

The building is around 300 years old and has always been used as a market.

Archived