Cruisetour Options

OSUBuckly

Hello all,

This is my first visit to these boards so bare with me. I'm looking to plan an Alaskan cruise for a potential Honeymoon in the Summer of 2008. Currently, I would like some help investigating Cruisetours. First off, what different cruise lines offer the Cruisetour option? I know Royal Carribean is one, but I don't know of any others.

Also, what are your experiences with them? Do you recommend them or is it better to do a roundrip cruise and just add on a few days? What are your must see recommendations?

I have no clue what Cruise lines would be best either. We are a fairly young couple (upper 20s), so we would like some cruisers our own age if possible. Also, I'm very interested in doing some shore excursions, like dog sledding.

Basically, I'm just looking for a good place to start. Thanks for the help!

-Buckly

Welcome to Cruise Critic, and congratulations on your future marriage!

I would start by reading the Alaska info here at Cruise Critic: http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/article.cfm?ID=84 Since this is for 2008, you have lots of time to gather info.

The larger cruiselines that have one-way cruises to Alaska all have cruisetours - so that would include Celebrity, Holland America, Princess, and Carnival - in addition to Royal Caribbean. No matter what cruiseline you choose, you'll find quite a few older people onboard.

Depending on how much time you have for travel - it really isn't difficult to plan a pre- or post-cruise land trip with a rental car. If you'd like to see what some of us have planned for the land portion of our 2007 trips, look here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=465998

The cruisetour reference used most on these boards are the cruiseline packaged interior Alaska traveling. Frankly- I would NEVER recommend this for a honey moon couple. :( :( GROUP fixed point to point travel. Ages are skewed to middle aged and above the majority. You have no freedom.

I instead suggest- if you have at least 5 extra days- go on your own with a rental car and stay in some nice B&B's or lodges. You can definately see and do more on your own with cost savings. Very very easy to plan.

Round trip cruises offer plenty also packed into 7 days, usual is 3 ports and a glacier sailing. Most scenic option is HAL round trip Vancouver itineraries that sail both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm- go after mid June however to get a better chance to get within sight of the Sawyers.

NCL is a winner with their round trip Seattle- Glacier Bay itineraries.

Plenty of choices and you would be best to make a list of your priorities.

With the cruise selection- consider ports, time in ports, glacier, routing, price, ship naturalist. Budget fully for excursions, you get only half a trip without them in my opinion. :) Then fit in a ship. Every trip is a compromise- do your homework and the choice you make will be the best for you- enjoy Alaska - it is paradise. :)

Archived