Just back from Serenade ~ willing to answer questions

Hello from Powhatan! We sailed this ship last year and loved the cruise so much that we are repeating it again this coming April.

On Friday did you sail by Montserrat and Saba? I have heard that on some of the sailings the ship didn't go this route on the way back.

Glad you had a great time!

Hello from Powhatan! We sailed this ship last year and loved the cruise so much that we are repeating it again this coming April.

On Friday did you sail by Montserrat and Saba? I have heard that on some of the sailings the ship didn't go this route on the way back.

Glad you had a great time!

Sheffie ~ I guess winter is finally upon us on the east coast!

As I recall we went by Montserrat early in the week. I missed it entirely but my parents saw it. As for Saba, I don't remember hearing about it. We had few announcements on the sea day so if we went that route on the way out I just missed entirely.

I'm jealous you are going in April. It was tough coming back to reality!

We leave in just over a week! Can't wait. Few questions :)

How was the food? Did any meal stand out?

How was the entertainment?

How about late night life?

One more?? How were the beds?

Have read some great reviews. Looking forward to yours. Thanks for taking the time to answer ?????

Michelle

We leave in just over a week! Can't wait. Few questions :)

How was the food? Did any meal stand out?

How was the entertainment?

How about late night life?

One more?? How were the beds?

Have read some great reviews. Looking forward to yours. Thanks for taking the time to answer ?????

Michelle

Michelle,

You will have so much fun. We arrived at the port about 12:15/12:30 and they hadn't yet started boarding. We were on the ship by 1 or 1:15 as I recall.

To answer your questions: I thought the food was good to great most nights. I always love the appetizers and soups the most. The deserts were just ok, not great selection in my opinion. Some of my favorites were the escargot, mushroom puff pastry, cesar salad (avail all nights), and tortillini.

We ate in both Chops and Portofino. Loved Chops but will probably never return to Portofino. The service at Portofino was awful. I had to ask for water several times and we felt very rushed. Plus the food was just ok. The staff were just great in the dining room and did several "performances" during the week.

The entertainment is so dependent upon your preference. My mom and I were on the Serenade in Alaska last summer so we skipped the musical performances this go around but if you are in to that type of thing I think they are enjoyable. We loved The Drifters who performed Thursday night I believe. Also the comedic duo who performed Wednesday (I think) were very funny. The comedian who did late night comedy on Friday was a complete waste of time IMHO. The show was about 15-20 minutes and dull. It's like he forgot he had a late night show to do and was just making stuff up as he stood there. Plus it was in the Safari Club, which was packed.

Night life. I think this is hit or miss depending on the night. Most nights were themed (70's disco, oldies, etc...). We went to Vortex a couple of times around midnight and it was still pretty slow. There were people dancing but not a wild and crazy party going at that time. There were scheduled singles mingle times every night.

I thought the beds were fine. The new bedding is coming out in the next month or so but what they have now was fine with me. Though we were so exhausted every night I was just happy to sleep!

Have a great time!

Just wondered if you might be able to tell me if it was at all possible to bring liquor onboard? I was going to bring something in my suitcase? I haven't been or RCCL for 2 1/2 years, any changes?

6cartz

Just wondered if you might be able to tell me if it was at all possible to bring liquor onboard? I was going to bring something in my suitcase? I haven't been or RCCL for 2 1/2 years, any changes?

6cartz

The official policy of RCCL has changed recently (there is lots about this on the boards). The drinking age is now 21+ (no beer or wine for 18-21). And you also can't purchase in the shops onboard and pay to take to your room. The rule has always been that you can't bring on board with you.

All of that said, we sent 3 bottles through in our checked luggage and had no problem. They arrived in our room and we enjoyed responsibly and purchased plenty onboard as well. Also, in St Martin I believe, my sister and I each bought a litre of grey goose and brought right on board. we did not consume it but were not forced to check. The check in table is around the corner from the xray so unless they specifically call you out you should be fine.

Do you remember who the bartenders were in the Schooner Bar? We are going back on the Serenade in Feb and the Schooner is our favorite.

Sorry, don't remember. I do remember one of the bartenders from the summer so there is some consistency. This is one of my favorite places to hang out as well ~ enjoy!

Thanks for the great response to my questions. We are really looking forward to a great week. Sorry to hear Portofinos was a dissapointment. We will play that one by ear. Thanks for the menu suggestions as well, it is always good to know a few tried and true selections. The entertainment is alwasy hit or miss for us. We are up for doing some dancing at the Vortex, so hope that picks up. This is a members cruise....not sure if that will make a difference either way. Thanks again. I will continue to check this post for more tidbits!

Michelle

Did you by any chance go to the cigar bar? Meet and Mingle would have been there. If so, do you remember who may have been tending bar? We would be exstatic if our buddy from a previous cruise on the serenade were still there. Tony, I think was his name. We kept calling him Isaac though.

Did you by any chance go to the cigar bar? Meet and Mingle would have been there. If so, do you remember who may have been tending bar? We would be exstatic if our buddy from a previous cruise on the serenade were still there. Tony, I think was his name. We kept calling him Isaac though.

My husband, myself and some friends are going on the S of the Seas to Alaska for the first time in July. Just a few questions:

Do you know the cost of spa treatments such as facials and massages?

I am allergic to smoke - does there seem to be places to relax on deck without smoke?

I heard that there is a charge for pop/ice cream and other things. Are there some drinks/treats that are free? We don't want to come back feeling like we've emptied our pockets!:)

We would like to go on a few excursions such as jet boating. Are there private companies that can be contacted for better prices or is it best to stick to the main ones?

Thanks.

Parrothead ~ We went to the cigar bar but don't remember any of the bartenders names. We were only in for a brief bit of the m&m.

My husband, myself and some friends are going on the S of the Seas to Alaska for the first time in July. Just a few questions:

Do you know the cost of spa treatments such as facials and massages?

I am allergic to smoke - does there seem to be places to relax on deck without smoke?

I heard that there is a charge for pop/ice cream and other things. Are there some drinks/treats that are free? We don't want to come back feeling like we've emptied our pockets!:)

We would like to go on a few excursions such as jet boating. Are there private companies that can be contacted for better prices or is it best to stick to the main ones?

Thanks.

I don't know the exact prices of facials or massages though I noted the mani and pedi's were very steep and I live in the DC area and am used to high prices. I did however get a head to toe massage session on a port day that was usually $104 marked down to $69 for that day. I would have been disappointed to pay $104 (well wouldn't have paid that) but $69 was a good deal. It included a 25 minute back massage, 10 minute foot massage, head massage, and facial cleansing and moisturizing. This was described in the Compass and was worth it. One challenge with Alaska is there is much less port time so the deals might be harder to come by.

I have a sister who is very allergic to cigarette smoke as well. She never really had any problems though she avoids the obvious places. For an Alaskan cruise, I would head to the Solarium. This was my favorite place on board. For the Caribbean it is air conditioned and heated in Alaska. There is a pool and I don't think smoking is allowed. During Alaska I found the bars to be a little more smokey than the caribbean but that is reasonable since it is cold in Alaska and I would think smokers would head to inside places where it is allowed. Though I also had some serious head congestion on this cruise so that could explain it to! If you have a balcony cabin you will likely spend plenty of time there.

As for free vs. items for charge. Soda and liquor are the beverages you have to pay for. I didn't miss them but you can always bring some along (though the cruiseline says this is against the rules). You can get hot tea in the dining areas and hot milk as well. I had lots of hot chocolate in Alaska. There is an ice cream machine that does free soft serve. And really there is always food available. I found the items for charge to be much more prevelent on the Mariner than the Serenade. Most people suggest planning to spend on excursions since in Alaska they are pricey, but can be well worth it.

As for the excursions, I will defer to the Alaska port of call board. In Skagway we rented a car and did Murray's drive (read all about on the boards). In Juneau I went on a helicopter. Would do both again. I'm preferable to booking with private companies as it is usually a bit cheaper and smaller groups. Some people are more comfortable with going through the ship.

I suggest reading as much as possible on the boards. There are many experience cruisers willing to share their ideas!

Have fun!

hey- we are doing it on 6/30- out first to Alaska... any great hints/tips for us? :D

Thanks!

Lisa

Lisa,

Plan ahead and read as much on the boards as possible.

Plan for great weather and cold rainy weather. Layering with clothing is key.

Go to Vancouver at least a couple of days ahead. It is an amazing city with tons to do. The weather is great. You could spend a day just in Stanley Park and it is worth it. There is a moutain where there is a gondola (am drawing a blank on the name). Head up in the late afternoon/evening. You can take a free ski lift up and down a ski run (no snow), just a beautiful view of the area. Then have appetizer or dinner at the restaurant. If you aren't stopping in Victoria consider spending a day there.

Take twice as much money and camera memory as you think you could use :)

If you can get a balcony cabin do so.

Know that rain will not ruin your cruise.

I thought the helicopter trip to the glacier was absolutely worth it.

Consider a night at Chops.

Bring binoculars.

I'm sure I'll think of more!

We just got back from1/6/07 sailing.Overall very enjoyable but very busy , only one sea dayLast day breakfast in windjammer is a madhouse.Bar staff are not pleasant when serving coke from coke card.St Lucia roads can make you very sick if you have motion sickness

Sheffie ~ I guess winter is finally upon us on the east coast!

As I recall we went by Montserrat early in the week. I missed it entirely but my parents saw it. As for Saba, I don't remember hearing about it. We had few announcements on the sea day so if we went that route on the way out I just missed entirely.

I'm jealous you are going in April. It was tough coming back to reality!

When we went by there, we were REALLY close to the islands. The captain even had his ship do one of those famous pivots in front of Montserrat where the ash floe is. Sorry this isn't being done now. Hopefully it may be re-instated before our cruise.

Keep warm!

Thanks so much for the great info. Just one more question. My friend is worried about attire for the Serenade of the Seas. We thought casual would be jeans/jeanskirts. Dressy for dinners. Is this true?

I don't ever remember seeing anyone in denim in the Caribbean. Khakis, capris, sundresses art the types of caual evening attire I usually see there. I think that the denim may be too warm for that climate.

Do you remember who was the cruise director and what night is the second formal night? We want to go to Chops but not on the second formal night.

We will be on the Serenade shortly, next Saturday.

Thanks for the info

The second formal night will be Thursday and is Lobster night. We will be on the 1/27 sailing as well. :) Happy Sailing!

Archived