Just back from Serenade ~ willing to answer questions

Thanks so much for the great info. Just one more question. My friend is worried about attire for the Serenade of the Seas. We thought casual would be jeans/jeanskirts. Dressy for dinners. Is this true?

Billybob~

In Alaska there are lots of jeans, kackis, and even running pants during the day. It is very laid back during the day. Dinner attire is slacks, skirts, dresses.

Do you remember who was the cruise director and what night is the second formal night? We want to go to Chops but not on the second formal night.

We will be on the Serenade shortly, next Saturday.

Thanks for the info

Ashley was the cruise director last week.

When we went by there, we were REALLY close to the islands. The captain even had his ship do one of those famous pivots in front of Montserrat where the ash floe is. Sorry this isn't being done now. Hopefully it may be re-instated before our cruise.

Keep warm!

Def didn't do this. The only place the big pivot was done was St Lucia near the Pitons. Would have loved to do more of those!

I want to go on this cruise next January when my kids are on break from college. They are 18, 20, 23 yrs. Did you notice if there were many young adults on this cruise?

Thanks

Yes, we actually saw many young adults. There seemed to be more this cruise then the Mariner (same time of year in 2005). It seems a perfect time with the little kids usually being back in school but colleges not starting up yet ~ the exact reason we cruise at this time. I wouldn't say there were tons of young adults ~ not like Spring Break, but plenty.

What I'm wondering is what night or nights are best to eat in dining room and which nights might be good for Chops. We like to make reservations as soon as we board. Thanks!

My best advice is to head to Chops the first day. They will go through each nights menu with you and you can decide. I did hear that as the week progressed they were completely booked up so I would suggest doing this sooner rather than later. We opted out of the dining room on Tuesday (Caribbean night) and Friday (food of all nations night or something like that). The problem with going Friday night is you need to make time to tip your wait staff. We actually left Chops and went to hang out at our dining room table (we loved our table mates). No more food though ~ we were stuffed

Formal nights are Saturday (St Thomas) and Thursday (Barbados)

What time are the early and late dinings at?

Booked Serenade this week for Feb.3rd thru friend who could get trade discount and he got no information other than cabin category and confirmation #. Found cabin # at online check in, which initially was wrong lower category one so had to call friend who had to call agency to correct even though I had advised him which cabin availability was best from looking at RC web site. If you want it done right, do yourself, I guess. I couldn't get trade discount alone, only thru friend who is not an experienced cruiser.

We have main seating which is late dining I believe.

What time are the early and late dinings at?

Booked Serenade this week for Feb.3rd thru friend who could get trade discount and he got no information other than cabin category and confirmation #. Found cabin # at online check in, which initially was wrong lower category one so had to call friend who had to call agency to correct even though I had advised him which cabin availability was best from looking at RC web site. If you want it done right, do yourself, I guess. I couldn't get trade discount alone, only thru friend who is not an experienced cruiser.

We have main seating which is late dining I believe.

Wow, sounds like drama. Well the cruise is well worth it. You might want to take your reservation number and log on to http://www.royalcaribbean.com. If you take a few moments to log in and input your reservation number you should be able to determine lots of information. Also, you will need to do this to do pre-checkin.

Main seating is actually the first seating, which is at 6pm generally. Late or 2nd seating is at 8:30.

Lisa,

Plan ahead and read as much on the boards as possible.

Plan for great weather and cold rainy weather. Layering with clothing is key.

Go to Vancouver at least a couple of days ahead. It is an amazing city with tons to do. The weather is great. You could spend a day just in Stanley Park and it is worth it. There is a moutain where there is a gondola (am drawing a blank on the name). Head up in the late afternoon/evening. You can take a free ski lift up and down a ski run (no snow), just a beautiful view of the area. Then have appetizer or dinner at the restaurant. If you aren't stopping in Victoria consider spending a day there.

Take twice as much money and camera memory as you think you could use :)

If you can get a balcony cabin do so.

Know that rain will not ruin your cruise.

I thought the helicopter trip to the glacier was absolutely worth it.

Consider a night at Chops.

Bring binoculars.

I'm sure I'll think of more!

Thanks!! Got the balcony- even though Mom was ? need for- i said too bad we are! flying into BLI and bus to VAN day befo- not enough $$$ for any more than that- but DH has a brother nearby? that we will meet up with...

Thanks for the camara/$$ tip :-(

did chops on radiance in Carrib- CAN NOT WAIT to do again- Cpt was eating there at the table next to us!

might try port

ordered 2 books on amazaon.com today- frodor's and somebody else..

DO you think that the dressy nites are more causal than Carrib?? DH only has a tux- used- no suits to his name!

Lisa

Did you have early or late dinner seating? On our first cruise, we had early and usually got to see the sun set. On our last cruise, it seemed like sunset was during dinner every night. Just curious if you noticed? Thanks for all of the great info.

Thanks!! Got the balcony- even though Mom was ? need for- i said too bad we are! flying into BLI and bus to VAN day befo- not enough $$$ for any more than that- but DH has a brother nearby? that we will meet up with...

Thanks for the camara/$$ tip :-(

did chops on radiance in Carrib- CAN NOT WAIT to do again- Cpt was eating there at the table next to us!

might try port

ordered 2 books on amazaon.com today- frodor's and somebody else..

DO you think that the dressy nites are more causal than Carrib?? DH only has a tux- used- no suits to his name!

Lisa

Lisa,

The balcony was a great choice! We spent tons of time on ours and when it got too cold we just sat inside and looked out.

I think the tux is always a great choice. Enjoy your DH all dressed up!!!!

Not sure if it is more or less casual as we had a large group (Hogs on the High Seas) on our Alaska cruise. Would actually think it would be more dressy in Alaska otherwise.

Did you have early or late dinner seating? On our first cruise, we had early and usually got to see the sun set. On our last cruise, it seemed like sunset was during dinner every night. Just curious if you noticed? Thanks for all of the great info.

We always have 2nd seating. The feeling I have gotten from thesee boards is more people with kids have 1st seating so 2nd is preferable to us. Also, we find the 6pm too difficult to make with some many people to get ready (we are a family of 5; 3 daughters in 1 cabin and yes, we managed to blow a fuse on the ship this time!!). However, to answer your question about the sunset, I would agree that you are likely to find the sun setting during 1st seating and it to be pretty dark during 2nd. I can't imagine it will be much different in a couple of weeks.

Lorie, here is a website where you can find out the sunset times.

Wow, sounds like drama. Well the cruise is well worth it. You might want to take your reservation number and log on to www.royalcaribbean.com. If you take a few moments to log in and input your reservation number you should be able to determine lots of information. Also, you will need to do this to do pre-checkin.

Main seating is actually the first seating, which is at 6pm generally. Late or 2nd seating is at 8:30.

Thanks for the info. I've already done the online check in for the four of us to input our passport info and print out our SetSail passes. That's where I found out we were on main seating dining and that we had the wrong category of cabin. For other cruises I have taken the main sitting described the late one which has ranged from 8:00 to 8:45. The other one was called the early seating. It would be better if both dinings were describe by early or late to avoid confusion.

:D One more quick question.

How were the seas this time of year?

Weather? I am guesssing low 80s most days? Chance of rain.

Thanks!

Michelle

Michelle,

The seas were pretty calm, maybe 3-5 feet on the announcements I heard. Some evenings the speed of the ship caused some movement but was good for us. The weather. You are right. low to mid 80's. All the islands were comfortable except Barbados, which was HOT! We had rain just about every morning and a passing shower a couple other days. Never problematic though. Still got plenty tan!

THANKS. I was reading about some motion on the ships...but think it may be the Western Caribbean that has rougher seas this time of year.

Looking forward to some relaxing days at the beach!

I know that all parts can get the rougher seas, but I have found that ships that venture out into the Atlantic seem to have it rougher more often. (JMHO)

Archived