Why do none of cruise sites display HC rooms?

Sashalanda

I have wore my hands out researching tons of cruise sites in search of any info on just what rooms are HC on different ships. Even the help line is unsure. How can you have a helpline for disabled passengers when the employee hasn't a clue and has to research while you stay on the phone? They have no clue on the door widths of suites or regular balconies either. I was trying so hard to avoid having to use hc room. My mother uses a hover round chair that is 24 inches wide but she can walk about 10 steps with a walker. She and I would do fine with just the portable shower chair. I have a problem with balance that would be fine with a shower chair. I have been looking for a scooter or motorized mobility chair but the ones under 22 inches seem to be selling for a big hunk and the bigger ones much cheaper. None of the diagrams have hc symbols on them even on sites that have a particular symbol for hc assessable room. Gah am so frustrated at this point. I have googled tons of stories but almost all talk about equip in room and staffs work with them that, on a good note, all seemed really positive. Is it that hard to redo a diagram to include hc rooms? And is it really an imposition for them to require faxed proof of need for that room before being processed for documents? Most ships don't have very many to begin with, and with able bodied ppl requesting these because they are roomier, grrrrrrrrrrrrr, it makes it really tough.

Thanks for the link but I tried that same link yesterday. Its the same phone number on carnival site. The person I talked to was clueless...she tried her hardest but tbh, acted surprised by the phone call. It took her several times of putting me on hold to find out any info..then all she could tell me after she called carnival herself..was that the hc rooms are on the upper floor...no room numbers. I was asking in particular about carnival triumph btw. It may work great for other cruiselines but carnival seems to keep theirs worlds best kept secret. Makes me wonder if they have the number of hc rooms they say they do. Anyhoo, ty for your help though and speedy reply :D. Hopefully I will get the info one day and we can start a list of ships hc rooms on here for our use atleast :)

This may not be what will help, but have you looked at some on-line cruise agency sites (some are advertised here on CC)?

Also, what about http://www.cruisedeckplans.com?

And, lastly, what about a different cruise line? I know HAL puts symbols on their deckplans.

Hope you find something good and have a great cruise.

Most of the websites I visit that have deck plans, sometimes you have to search for those show the HC cabins, only a very few do not. Expedia does, cruisestateroom.com does. and most of the cruiseline websites themselves do. also you can rent a scooter to go on any cruiseline.

What ship exactly are you looking for?

If you go the Carnvial Website and under FAQ, there is a question that says something like "What about special needs" Click on this and it takes you to a brochure that had the handicapped deck plans for all their ships. The WC cabins are marked in blue.

If you go the Carnvial Website and under FAQ, there is a question that says something like "What about special needs" Click on this and it takes you to a brochure that had the handicapped deck plans for all their ships. The WC cabins are marked in blue.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/EMB_guest_special_requirements.aspx

For more information contact the Guest Access Services department at 800-438-6744 extension 70025 or Click here.

And is it really an imposition for them to require faxed proof of need for that room before being processed for documents?

I know you are just venting, but requiring documentation is an "invasion of privacy" (why should you have to say WHY you are handicapped/or prove your disability) and is against ADA laws...

and really, despite what a few posts on these boards say, AB's are not flocking to book HC rooms because of there size, most AB's whp wind up in an accessible room do so accidentaly..

When a cruise opens for booking you will find in most cases HC and family cabins are not amoung them since thoses are all cabins you have to contact the cruiselines for.

Now you were venting about it being a pain to fax in documention well that is done to protect those cabins and so that only poeple who really need them really get them. But cruiselines are in business to make money and that means at a certain time all inventory needs to go out. If people are asigned garantee cabins and it turns out to be a HC then they are often told that should someone need a HC Cabin they would be reasigned. Since we often see ships sailing full these days it comes as no suprise that there are on ocassion non HC passengers in theses cabins.

The fact that you have not found much info on these cabins could be a way to deter non HC from wanting to book them since they do offer more space than other cabins of the same cat.

Now why not ask here what you are looking since many of us have looked at these cains as we have passed them or are unlucky enough to also require one and have been in one before...

I was searching for the carnival ship triumph. It is the one out of New Orleans for 5-7 day cruises for me and my mom. I was hoping there may be cabins more mid ship than all the way on the front like the one room their rep told me about. The ones in front will be really bad if seas are rough for my poor balance even with grab bars as I still have to walk across the room. As a hc person these last few yrs..I have seen ab ppl doing so much unfair stuff to hc ppl...like parking spaces, knocking us over in store aisles and not even a sorry glance..I could go on. I don't see requiring proof as invasion of privacy to me..I would much rather the ab being PREVENTED from getting these cabins until atleast 6 weeks prior to saling. After the 6 weeks its perfectly understandable them selling that room to anyone. I don't understand anyone hc objecting to the fax. If they are truely hc..they have been through the same crap I and most of us have been...and understand and would want proof given. Same as I would love for cops to ask ppl parked in hc for proof of their need of that because so many use grannys hc portable tag/card...I see it every single time I go to walmart. Walmart does nothing as hc customers way in the minority than ab..least our local one..they just shake their heads and say "its a shame I know"..I'm like DOH! Ya venting but I am not so naive as to think ab ppl will do the right thing lol.

I was searching for the carnival ship triumph. It is the one out of New Orleans for 5-7 day cruises for me and my mom. I was hoping there may be cabins more mid ship than all the way on the front like the one room their rep told me about. The ones in front will be really bad if seas are rough for my poor balance even with grab bars as I still have to walk across the room. As a hc person these last few yrs..I have seen ab ppl doing so much unfair stuff to hc ppl...like parking spaces, knocking us over in store aisles and not even a sorry glance..I could go on. I don't see requiring proof as invasion of privacy to me..I would much rather the ab being PREVENTED from getting these cabins until atleast 6 weeks prior to saling. After the 6 weeks its perfectly understandable them selling that room to anyone. I don't understand anyone hc objecting to the fax. If they are truely hc..they have been through the same crap I and most of us have been...and understand and would want proof given. Same as I would love for cops to ask ppl parked in hc for proof of their need of that because so many use grannys hc portable tag/card...I see it every single time I go to walmart. Walmart does nothing as hc customers way in the minority than ab..least our local one..they just shake their heads and say "its a shame I know"..I'm like DOH! Ya venting but I am not so naive as to think ab ppl will do the right thing lol.

For your information Cops do have the right to ask for proof. In MA you have your picture on the tag. there is a slip over cover that hides that picture but the person MUST show it to any policeman that asks.

carnival herself..was that the hc rooms are on the upper floor...no room numbers. I was asking in particular about carnival triumph btw. we can start a list of ships hc rooms on here for our use atleast :)

I agree with you about Carnival We are going on a 12 day med cruise in May with our 29y/o disabled son, and we wanted to know which staterooms, and where they were located and even our TA couldn't get the info out of them. We are in room 7228, and it's supposed to be accessible. I sure hope so!

BTW, we went on RC Radience of the Seas on an Alaskan Cruise, and their accessible rooms are on their website. We had a great room! Also, Disney Cruise Lines show their accessbile rooms on their website, too. We got a 1 bedroom accessible suite last October on Disney because we had 4 adults travelling together. It was great!

Connie:)

Archived