SeaDream I - final report

emckeeve

We had a wonderful trip to Iguazu Falls on Monday. We left the ship at 9 and went to the domestic airport - very near the cruise terminal. Flight was at 11, arrived at 12:50 and were looking at the magnificent Falls by 2. It was truly thrilling - and a beautiful day to boot. Lunch at the Sheraton was wonderful - plate glass overlooking the falls in the distance. Then most of us took the boat ride under the falls. It was another thrilling experience. Beware - the climb back up is more strenuous than they lead on. Yes, you do get wet, very wet, which is re-iterated time and time again, but be warned that it is a 15 minute (or more) climb back up steps and paths. Again, like clock work, we changed, headed to the airport, left at 7 and were back on the ship by 9:30. Full dinner was served in the DR and sandwiches in the salon. It was a LONG and tiring day and unfortunately, disembarkation was less than 12 hours away.

We are at the Four Seasons now in Buenos Aires. FABULOUS city. We took the city tour yesterday - well worth it - and we fly home tonight. I wish we could stay here for a few more days. :-(

Alita, I think I forgot to tell you that Donatus was touched to be remembered, but Yuba is on vacation. It seems there was alot of switching around after the holiday cruises.

I will send my reflections of the total experience when I get home. I know C is taking the Jan. 25 trip and would love to share some tips. But now, beautiful BA awaits our last day.

Liz,

Thanks for the update. BA is indeed an incredible city, isn't it? My wife, daughter and I visited for a few days last May and stayed at the Four Seasons. Unfortunately, we head home from our trip the day of disembarkation so we must make do with the excursion offered by SD that day which is a full day tour of BA and then transfer to the airport.

Would appreciate any and all tips that you care to share after you have a chance to get home and get settled. We leave home Tuesday afternoon and are very much looking forward to another fantastic SD adventure.

Thanks for your onboard reports. They were great and I'll do my best to continue the tradition soon.

I have written 2 reviews for ctbjr, and they disappeared before I can post. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong - maybe staying on too long since I'm running back and forth to the laundry room? I will try one more time.

Ctbjr - as you are a veteran SeaDreamer, I'm assuming you are more interested in the itinerary. Some people were disappointed with the Brazilian ports, but they were what I expected . . just little villages. Rio was less cosmopolitan than I thought, but we really enjoyed our three day stay there. We took tours in Rio (private car), BA (group tour) and then one in Buzios. It was a gloomy day and there wasn't much else to do. So I can say I've seen Buzios. :-) It was an open air trolley and went all around the peninsula. I thought the village of Parati was charming while others didn't like it. Even though it was threatening rain, it was a fun place to explore - very different from any place I've been before. Lots of nooks and crannies and fun shops and bars. The walking is treacherous though, so take non slip shoes. Three groups of us had dinner in Parati at Portos - one of Conde Nest's top 100 restaurants. I don't think I would rate it as such, but the service and atmosphere were first rate. Iguazu Falls was a highlight even though it was a long and tiring day, and facing debarkation the next morning was tough. On the original itinerary I booked, it was offered mid-trip. I'm not sure why they changed . . maybe it was logisically flying from BA. The champagne splash was not as wild as in Jost Va Dyke, but it was our first sunny day and everyone was rejoicing. We had a lovely lunch on a platform overlooking the cove. A huge cloudburst came just as we were leaving. We never did have dinner on deck which was a disappointment, but you can't do anything about the weather. The last 5 days were magnificent so we arent complaining. But the real highlight of the trip were our fellow passengers. We were from all over the world and melded beautifully into one. It was a fun, congenial group, and I know we've made some new life long friends. Please feel free to ask any specific questions. Again, I know I have forgotten things from my two previous posts, but I really do have to get back to the laundry and mail! Sigh.

Thanks a million for the info. You're correct that we're most interested in the ports since this is an area we've never been to with SD. I really can't think of any questions to ask -- where's DJ when you need her -- but feel free to chime in with additional info once you have the laundry and mail under control!

Thanks for the wrap up on your SA adventure!

It snowed here yesterday so everything comes to a halt ... NC+Snow=Scary:p

Emckeeve would you say that you are relaxed and/or re-energized after this voyage? One of the things we love about our SD Caribbean cruises is how relaxed we are by day 2:D

DJ -Absolutely relaxed by the SeaDream experience. Lazy days, fun evenings, very few decisions to make. Even husband, who has a little over a year until retirement, totally relaxed, and we laughed last night about having to make the smallest of decisions after 2 weeks of heaven. And 9 days is so much better than 7. I wish SeaDream would throw in a few 10 day itineraries. We were interested in one last June but it started the weekend our son got married. :-(

Ice and snow + Dallas . . . scary too.

Archived