wrinkled clothes

The restriction is for regular irons, not travel irons or steamers. Most people think the danger from irons is leaving them on, or having them fall over and causing a fire. I've left my iron on at home a number of times, no fire was ever started. The danger is from overloading the circuits and sparking, the wattage is just too high. Add a hair dryer, or a curling iron, you can really have a problem. I'm no electrician and I know very little about it, but I have read this is why they have the restriction in place.

OK, on to better news, you can pack your clothing in dry cleaner bags, leaving them on hangars, that reduces wrinkles. Pack in packing envelopes, that helps to reduce the wrinkles.

Some people use a product called Downey Wrinkle Release. Try it at home before you go, even the lightly scented has a very strong floral odor that does not completely dissapate, not good, unless you like smelling like cheap floral wrinkle spray. Other people will hang their garment in the bathroom while they take a shower, wrinkles diminish using this method. You can send items to the laundry/dry cleaning service, cost is not too high.

I prefer my travel steamer, I heat it up during unpacking, check each item and steam if necessary. The steamer goes back into the suitcase for the rest of the week. Sorry for such a long post, I love to iron.

Hi, I learned about those dry cleaner bags from these boards! Best thing I have used to prevent wrinkling! It is sort of a buffer.......the plastic and the air....it works everytime:D :D .

I have most of my stuff dry cleaned before packing...of course everything is in its own bag...then I get a few extra and line the luggage......whenever I get to the cabin, I unpack and taaadaaa...NO WRINKLES:) ...they are all on hangers and go right into the closet!

I used the laundry on Coral Princess earlier this month. They have two ironing stations (along with 8 Maytag washers and dryers). A woman was ironing there while I waited for my things to dry, and she had trouble with the steam iron "spitting" on her clothes. Since mine does that at home, I wasn't too troubled by that. It did build up a good head of steam, so you may be able to hold the iron straight up and do your steaming that way while the clothing hangs from the hooks provided at the ironing station.

If you want a professional finish just ask your cabin steward. S/he'll take care of it. You will want to send a bit of an extra tip his/her way, but it'll be done right.

I have used the Downey wrinkle remover and I thought it worked very well. I have also ordered Faultless wrinkle remover and that is the best ever. I don't wrinkle reduce my outfits upon unpacking. I just hang them in the closet to hang out the best they can and then deal with each outfit when their time comes. I finally figured out that the best time to deal with the wrinkles for evening wear is in the afternoon. Hang the outfit on one of the hooks in the cabin, spray with what ever you have, even water mist, and let it dry while you are having fun at the pool. :) No damp outfits while you are in a hurry to get dressed for dinner.

A lot of ladies love my suggestion. I roll my clothes. But even then, there are bound to be some items that end up wrinkled. :eek:

What I do is, when we are taking a shower, I hang those items on the bathroom door. The steam from the showers will dissipate the wrinkles right out of the garment! Try it! ;)

I also heard the shower steam works well. One post that I read somewhere the lady said as soon as she got her luggage she took all her clothes out, turned the shower on hot and hung the clothes on the door and it perfectly. I am going to try this also. Good Luck!

Jax: that's another good idea. I would worry about shrinkage, only because I really do not use our dryer that much. For towels and what not, yes, but I hate tossing our linen shirts, my dresses, etc. in the dryer. :eek:

I've taken a travel iron along, but ended up only using it once. Finally stopped lugging the thing around. More room for shoes. I pack pretty carefully and as soon as our bags arrive I hang everything up. Usually the shower steam works well enough for the few wrinkles I do get.

Not sure if it's my packing expertise or the dry cleaner bags that keep our "dress clothes" looking good, after a day in the garment bags. Maybe a combination of both. Ha ha ha.

• 2 weeks later...

CLADES, Hi:) I might be wrong, but I think the only way you can have something pressed is by sending it out to the ship's laundry.

But I have only sailed on Celebrity and Royal and I never needed an Iron.

Maybe the other gals can give you a more educated reply:)

Cheryl, No, they will not. They do have a pressing service, usually about half of the cost of dry cleaning. Some ships have a laundry room, where you can go to iron your things. Be careful, you don't know that iron! I've never ironed (except my steamer) on a ship, I did walk by a laundry room on a ship once, there was a line about 10 deep to use the ironing board.

Pack in the dry cleaner bags, you will really not have many wrinkles that way.

Because I had forgotten to stop by the cleaners, we used large white kitchen trash bags to cover our clothes. Everything was wrinkle free when I took them out of our garment bag. The used bags then became dirty clothes bags and "wet clothes" bags! Saved me from packing extra plastic bags!!

Please help! We leave on Wed for BOS Mediterranean cruise. The airline we're taking only allows 1 piece of checked luggage per person. We are having a hard time fitting our things because we can only bring one suitcase and one garment bag. Does anyone think I can pack DHs suits and dress shirts in a suitcase with out wrinkling them? This suitcase will be nearly empty, but then at least we'll have room to bring souvenirs back with us. I have already planned to put my dresses in a dry cleaning bag at the top of the other suitcase. I am not worried about my dresses because of their material, but it will be a pain to have to steam or iron DHs clothes if they wrinkle. Will plastic garbage bags work? Do you have to knot them at the end to keep air in them? Any suggestions???

stressball - (love that name!) Put DH's suits in the garment bag if you're not worried about your dresses wrinkling.

Worse case scenario - give anything that's very wrinkled to the steward for pressing. Nothing to worry about!

Roll your clothes and/or used the dry cleaner bags. Yes, tie the bottom so there's some air in the bag. That's the cushion that prevents the wrinkling.

Remember, you can always have your clothes pressed.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived