East or West Carib on Liberty??

DISFANS3

We were debating this too for next Feb. and were torn between Freedom and Liberty...one is eastern and other is western. We have decided to do the western because we are going more for the ship than the ports and this cruise has 3 full sea days which we love. On a ship this size, it is so hard to see everything and still have some time to relax.

If you are going for the ports, I prefer eastern itineraries.

I love going to St. Thomas and heading to St. John. But we have also had some wonderful beach days in Cozumel. Such decisions we face!!

Have a wonderful time whatever you decide.

Heather

Okay...here's my take:

It doesn't really matter...

After several cruises, all of the islands get a little boring and redundant...

What we try to do is to alternate itineraries...

We're doing the Western on Liberty in June...

But, it's largely because we've been to the Eastern and Southern more recently...

Is any set of ports better than others?

Well, it's really a matter of personal preference and criteria...

It depends on whether you want to go to the beach, go shopping, go sightseeing, etc.

St. Thomas is a lot of shopping...or a beach stop...

Cozumel lets you go visit Mayan archaeological sites...

If you want to shop, go Eastern...

If you want to see ancient pyramids, try Western...

Or, you can be like me...Flip a coin and pick one...

Figure you're returning next year or the year after and you'll do the other one next time...

Then in a few years, you'll realize that the islands in the Southern routes are better than either East or West and you'll go there...

Then you'll get really smart and realize the Mediterranean itineraries beat any of these by a long shot...

Then you'll throw in a Mexican Riviera just to break it all up a bit...

Then you'll go on an Alaskan cruisetour because you've always wanted to do that...once...

Truth is ANY cruise is enjoyable...

Just pick one and don't look back...

I have a question for western liberty folks....

do you think the second formal night is Cozumel? That will be tough with sailing time of 7 pm.

I figure the first formal night is the first sea day.

Anybody have any ideas?

WE need help on this one, should we go East or West Carib on Liberty?? First time on RCI for us. Any ports to aviod or ports you did not like??Going to make despoit soon for June 08....Thanks...

I personally prefer Eastern because I believe Eastern has better beaches,better shopping,and I'm a beach bum and liquor can't be cheaper than St.Maarten or St.Thomas..IF YOU LIKE WATER SPORTS/diving/snorkeling...do the Western-Cozumel and Grand Cayman are both Top 10 in the world for that....but be warned-both Jamaica and Cozumel have locals that WILL approach you,ask to you come in their store & shop....also yes,their is a bit more archeology and history stuff in the Western,but I've been to both routes 6 times each-PLUS I mostly cruise to relax...getting off the ship early,then going on an 5-6 hour excursion in often high heat & humidity is sometimes more work than play...if you've never seen the Mayan ruins,nor Dunns River Falls in Jamaica,nor Grand Cayman (beaches or Stingray City),then do it....If you want some R & R,beautiful beaches,and just want to chill out,go Eastern..a worthy difference:Usually,Eastern routes are 3 days in ports,3 days at sea...Western routes are 4 days in port,2 days at sea...I love those sea days-something to remember......BTW,Eastern routes for the Freedom & Liberty are different:Freedom will do San Juan,St.Thomas,and St.Maarten..Liberty is doing San Juan,St.Maarten,and Labadee,the RCL private island....both are fine(St.Thomas has better shopping and I thought the locals on Labadee were a bit pushy)..it's a personal decision for you to make (I am sailing the Liberty 11/10/07..did Freedom 11/19/06) Good Luck..Have fun-tough decisions to make but someone has to make them!!

Big Al

Archived