suggestions for excursions on PG for March 07

cruisin'cats

I figured that with all the people who've sailed on the Paul Gauguin and loved it, I might be able to get some good suggestions as to which shore excursions are worthwhile (and need to be booked in advance). DH and I are average snorkelers and have no diving experience. I love to take photographs (darned good for a self taught amateur). I plan on looking for some jewelry, possibly loose pearls to bring home to design settings for later if I don't find something I like there. I know something about pearls but not about the pricing. Hmmm...what else would help you make suggestions? Ask me, I'll answer.

We're on the 3-3-07 sailing.

OH yes, while I'm here: do I need to make reservations for the restaurant in advance or can you get a table easily enough once on the ship? How does the food quality compare to the rest of the dining options? How often can a person go to the restaurant (we're on a two week cruise)? Any dining suggestions/reviews welcomed as well.

Thanks!;)

Helene

I have the same questions about the best excursions and necessity for restaurant advance reservations.

Plus I'd like to know if it is worthwhile to book the 3 hour drift snorkeling excursion at Motu Mahana. I seem to recall reading a post several months ago, that the snorkeling off the beach where we stay for the day is just as good. We'd rather NOT go on a guided tour if we can go on our own. (We live in Hawaii and are very comfortable in the ocean.)

Also, wehad an experience once in the Carribean where the cruise line wouldn't let us snorkel out of sight of their lifeguard (even sent someone on a surfboard to chase us down!) or further than about 50' from the beach. Any of that going on with the PG?

I have the same questions about the best excursions and necessity for restaurant advance reservations.

Plus I'd like to know if it is worthwhile to book the 3 hour drift snorkeling excursion at Motu Mahana. I seem to recall reading a post several months ago, that the snorkeling off the beach where we stay for the day is just as good. We'd rather NOT go on a guided tour if we can go on our own. (We live in Hawaii and are very comfortable in the ocean.)

Also, we had an experience once in the Carribean where the cruise line wouldn't let us snorkel out of sight of their lifeguard (even sent someone on a surfboard to chase us down!) or further than about 50' from the beach. Any of that going on with the PG?

The snorkelling on Motu Mahana is okay, it's not fabulous. The motu day in general, however, is fabulous, and you shouldn't miss it. Is this the drift snorkel that's part of a trip to Taha'a? I can't comment because I haven't done it, the lure of the motu has always been too strong.

There are no really "bad" excursions anywhere, but everybody has their favourites. The Dr. Poole Dolphin watch fills up fast, so if you're a nature lover, and don't mind the risk of not seeing dolphins, sign up for this. If you do see dolphins soon enough, then there's time for some snorkelling, which in my case was wonderful.

As for pearls, the downside of buying them loose is that you don't get a VAT refund. The upside is that you don't pay over-inflated prices for gold. Just read up on the quality of pearls, go to the presentations on board, and think about what you want to spend--the sky's the limit.

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the info on snorkeling at Motu Mahana. Yes, the "coral garden drift snorkeling" is a 3-hour excursion that is offered when we are at that location. They say it is in very shallow water, for experienced snorkelers only. I'm not sure I want to take 3 hours away from the motu, but then again I live at a tropical beach. What is it that makes that day on the motu so fantastic? Thanks again.

rubyolili

Ruby, I'm not sure why Motu Mahana is so great. I think it's mostly because it's so relaxing, there are chairs set up under the palm trees, a really nice buffet lunch is served, there's volleyball, and kayaks, and snorkelling lessons for beginners. And of course, those nice big coconuts full of rum and fruit juice. On the 7-day itinerary it comes early in the cruise, and it seems to take the kinks out of everybody. The water is very nice, and you can find some nice fish and coral.

The afternoon beach days at Bora Bora are incredible too, by the way, if you're a beach person. Beautiful white sand, lovely water for swimming (coral is further out and there's a current), and an incredible view of the island. Not much to do but lie on the beach and swim. Perfect.

Trails of the Ancients with Mark Eddows, Dolphin/Whale Watch with Dr Poole, Waverunners and Off Road on Bora, the bar b que at motu Mahana are the best. I agree with the other posters that all the excursions/tours are worthwhile. We're leaving tomorrow.......can't wait

Dan

Archived