Beijing to Hong Kong March 24, 2008

Rocket 1

Hello Everyone!

I am very excited about just becoming part of this outstanding "Cruise Critic" message board. I have learned so much about cruising from it.

My wife and I recently booked our second cruise, the first on Oceania...

starting in Beijing and ending in Hong Kong. I was in Hong Kong a couple of years ago on business and just loved it.

From my recent in-depth research of Asian cruises and respective itineraries, this one on Oceania looks fantastic.

Is anyone else booked on this cruise? Has anyone been to Asia on Oceania. If so, I would love to get some feedback from you about the cruise and itinerary. We are also considering the pre-cruise package, once it becomes available. Any comments would be most appreciated.

We took the same cruise last March and loved it! Great ports and Nautica and the staff are wonderful! We got to Beijing 5 days before the cruise. We did our own hotel/plane arrangements. We stayed at the Hyatt in Beijing and the Intercontinental in HK. We used the ship's excursions and were generally satisfied although they allot too much time for shopping which is of little interest to us.

Dear Rocket 1,

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to the Oceania Board. There is so much info on this board which will keep you busy just about until March 2008.

We were on the same cruise as Digby and thoroughly enjoyed our experience --even though it was the first time for Oceania in Beijing and doing this cruise. I see that they have made some improvements for the 2008 cruise. You will have almost two days in Shanghai -- we had to leave at 1:00 p.m. on the second day and you will have two days in Taipei where as we only had one. They have cut out the stop in Ishigaki, Japan where all we did was buy three bottles of Sapporo beer (great stuff). We decided that they stopped there only because it was an inexpensive docking port.

We did all our own tours. If you are interested in private tours, just keep checking this board for other people who have organized private tours and are looking for people to share.

We went into Beijing early and stayed at the Peninsula (beautiful hotel and they charged the same as the Grand Hyatt). The Concierge there arranged our transport to the ship as well as a day's journey to Xian. The terracotta warriors are an unbelievable sight. We flew there in the morning and returned at night. If you take Oceania's pre-cruise, it is about twice what you would pay on your own except it includes the transport to the ship which is docked about 1-1/2 to 2 hours away. We shared the expense with another couple. Oceania had been staying at the Shangri-la which is 45 minutes away from Tinneman (can't remember how to spell it) Square and the Forbidden City. They are walking distance from the Hyatt and the Peninsula. My cousins used Greyline tours to go to the Great Wall and several other sights.

If you want to search on this board, just put Beijing in the search mode at the top of the page. Also, go to the ports section of this board and look at the "Asia" ports section. No matter which ship you are on, people post a lot of good ideas there.

Sheila

We did this same trip last March. An absolutely fabulous trip. Just make sure you have correct visas (double entry, I believe since you leave Beijing to Seoul and then back to Shanghai).

We took all of the ship's tours, and we were extremely satisfied. Can't want to do this one again. So much to see, so little time.

Look for "Carlos" in the Polo. I'm envious. Great trip. We were at the Shangri La in both Beijing and Hong Kong. Could not have been better.

Sheila, can you tell me when you arranged the one day tour to Xian. We would be interested in that as well. Shall take your tip for the Penisul -- It seems well located.

Any other tips you can give us? Names of independent tour operators? We will take some ships tours but others on our own.

Many thanks.

Miriam

Hi Miriam,

I emailed the Concierge at the Peninsula about four or five months before the cruise. They arranged the air travel. It's about $290 U.S. for the air fare. Email me at scorpiosheila at yahoo dot com and I will look for the prices, etc. The young people who work at the Peninsula were so eager to please. We had them send a car to the airport to pick us up. It was only about $20 more than a cab and since we were coming in late at night and there is a big language problem there, we didn't hesitate to arrange for their car. We were met by a Peninsula employee holding a sign with our name as we exited immigration. He took us out to the driver who was waiting for us outside. The driver offered us cold wet wash clothes to freshen up in the Mercedes and a bottle of cold water. After our long trip from LAX to SF to Beijing, it was wonderful. It was about a 25 minute ride to the hotel. When we arrived at the Peninsula, a young lady was waiting for us outside with a clipboard to show us to our room. She welcomed us and checked us in to the hotel right in our hotel room.

The pickup, the tour to Xian and the cost for the private driver to the ship were all put on our room bill.

Thanks for all the great responses. I really appreciate everyone's input.

We booked the C1 cabin on level 4 of the Nautica midship starboard side. Any comments?

Any idea when Oceania will be releasing details of pre and post cruise land packages. I would like to at least review them before deciding whether or not to go with, probably, a pre-cruise package. Since I am somewhat familiar with Hong Kong, a hotel will suffice for post-cruise. Previously, I stayed at the Island Shangri-la and loved it. Would anyone recommend another hotel on the Island besides the Shangri-la?

Rocket, I think we will get there Friday night and do the Xian trip on Sunday.

Monday the ship leaves only at 11 pm so there will be time for some sightseeing or shopping and we shall spend all day Saturday sightseeing. Once we get on board the Nautica we can crash on the day at sea.

Are you planning to do shipexcursions or do you want to join up with us on some outside excursions. We will be either two or three so a van will be quite comfortable.

We have also been to HK so will be just taking the flight home.

Miriam

Dear Miriam,

If you haven't been to Beijing before, I really suggest you add another day or two before the ship sails. There really is so much to see in Beijing besides the trip to Xian which will be very tiring. It's a one and one half hour flight to Xian and you also have the wait time at the airport. We got back at 11:00 p.m. thoroughly exhausted. Go to Fodors.com and you will be able to view all the sights and make your decision.

Sheila

Archived