Driving to NCL port in NYC

Snowrose

For those who've driven to the port in NYC or who know the area, I have two questions.

1) From the Buffalo area, which is better:

a) going 90 to 87 down to NYC, or

b) going 90 to 81, to 380, to 80, to 280, to 95, to 495 (this was suggested by Mapquest)

2) And going over to Manhattan, which is better:

a) crossing at the George Washington and going down Manhattan, or

b) crossing at the Lincoln tunnel and going up Manhattan

Thanks for any insight anyone can give!

Teri

For those who've driven to the port in NYC or who know the area, I have two questions.

1) From the Buffalo area, which is better:

a) going 90 to 87 down to NYC, or

b) going 90 to 81, to 380, to 80, to 280, to 95, to 495 (this was suggested by Mapquest)

2) And going over to Manhattan, which is better:

a) crossing at the George Washington and going down Manhattan, or

b) crossing at the Lincoln tunnel and going up Manhattan

Thanks for any insight anyone can give!

Teri

1 b is shorter and faster.90 to 81 to 380 to 80. I would stay on 80 to 95 to the GW bridge and down the west side personally. I wouldn't do the 280 to 95. I know that route but you have tolls and its out of the way...no tolls the other way except the GW bridge but listen to traffic either 880 or 1010 am and see if there is a problem..

We drove down to New York twice last year and took 81 to 380 to 80. Stayed on 80 and followed the signs for te GW bridge. Over the bridge, follow the Henry Hudson Pkwy south. First lights you hit are right at the pier.

We drove down a day early (from the Toronto Ontario area) and stayed at a Courtyard Marriott in Parsipany NJ. 69.00 for the night and included breakfast. 35-45 minutes to the pier the next morning.

Inspector Gadget

We drove down to New York twice last year and took 81 to 380 to 80. Stayed on 80 and followed the signs for te GW bridge. Over the bridge, follow the Henry Hudson Pkwy south. First lights you hit are right at the pier.

We drove down a day early (from the Toronto Ontario area) and stayed at a Courtyard Marriott in Parsipany NJ. 69.00 for the night and included breakfast. 35-45 minutes to the pier the next morning.

Inspector Gadget

Perfect!! That's exactly what we're looking at doing, too - staying in Parsippany. Thanks so much!!! :D

Teri

If I am coming on 95South. Would it be the same directions as above? Over the bridge and follow the parkway?:confused:

Yes you want the Henry Hudson Parkway South but you are coming from RI right...Personally I hate the cross bronx expressway(which 95 towards the GW Bridge) the exit to the Henry Hudson Parkway is really a pain. You need to stay on the lower level and take the last exit in NY and if you miss it you are in NJ...

Do you know how to get to the Merrit parkway? just past New Haven on your right it will say Merrit Parkway to NY City Route 15. Take the Merrit to the Hutch to the Cross County Parkway to the Saw Mill river south over the SPitn devil bridge(a toll of $1.25 I think) which becomes the Henry Hudson Parkway to the end stay on your right and you enter the terminal.... much nicer drive and no trucks on the Parkways....

Yes you want the Henry Hudson Parkway South but you are coming from RI right...Personally I hate the cross bronx expressway(which 95 towards the GW Bridge) the exit to the Henry Hudson Parkway is really a pain. You need to stay on the lower level and take the last exit in NY and if you miss it you are in NJ...

Do you know how to get to the Merrit parkway? just past New Haven on your right it will say Merrit Parkway to NY City Route 15. Take the Merrit to the Hutch to the Cross County Parkway to the Saw Mill river south over the SPitn devil bridge(a toll of $1.25 I think) which becomes the Henry Hudson Parkway to the end stay on your right and you enter the terminal.... much nicer drive and no trucks on the Parkways....

Thanks you so much. We will be staying over night in Conn. and then I will take your suggested directions. I only have 2 weeks to go:)

Thanks you so much. We will be staying over night in Conn. and then I will take your suggested directions. I only have 2 weeks to go:)

You are welcome. My summer home used to be in Westbrook ct and my son went to college in New London. Its only a 3-4 hour drive from RI to the cruise terminal. I find it much more tiring to stay at a motel have to worry about the car then driving all the way. But that is of course me. I personally leave about 8 am and drive in one day except if there is a snow storm brewing....

Coming from Rochester NY going to the Brooklyn cruise port. Which way would you go and how bad a drive is it? As far as traffic,etc.

Laura

I can give you directions close to NY City but since I have never been to Rochester, I don't know up that away too well. My wife is from Fredonia NY so I know the Pittsburg/Buffalo and Ithica ways pretty well. Personally I would get on 81 to 380 to 80, and then how I go would be a little difficult...since I would head to the Holland Tunnel on 280(but it isn't direct to the tunnel you go right on 507 I think to the Holland Tunnel) Once Through the Holland Tunnel I would take the first exit straight accross to west st make a left and go through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. Take the First Hamiton Avenue exit make an immediate left then another left(and careful not to get back ont to the tunnel) follow the side road right to the pier- there are signs....

How traffic is depends on time of day and any accidents.

I'll see what mapquest suggests...

Thanks for the info.So you think the drive would not be too bad? Actually we would be coming from around Ithaca but I didn't say that because I wasn't sure if any one would know that area.Guess you do!Do you think we could do the drive? I'm not worried about traffic as long as we don't have to make any really confusing turns and end up in the wrong lane.Thank you for any help you give me.

Laura

Thanks for the info.So you think the drive would not be too bad? Actually we would be coming from around Ithaca but I didn't say that because I wasn't sure if any one would know that area.Guess you do!Do you think we could do the drive? I'm not worried about traffic as long as we don't have to make any really confusing turns and end up in the wrong lane.Thank you for any help you give me.

Laura

My wife is a Cornelian. we drive it occassionally. I have never flown it always drive(we live in Brooklyn near the pier)....

expect it to take 5 hours....or so....

use the Mapquest directions its pretty well marked...

High above Cayuga's waters....

So you guys know Ithaca pretty well. We live in Interlaken about 30 minfrom Ithaca. Sounds like we wouldn't have too much trouble driving to the port. We're small town people but my SO does drive to Rochester every day and sometimes to Albany so he does have a small amount of experience with traffic,just not as much traffic as NYC.Thanks so much for your reply.

Laura

You are welcome. My summer home used to be in Westbrook ct and my son went to college in New London. Its only a 3-4 hour drive from RI to the cruise terminal. I find it much more tiring to stay at a motel have to worry about the car then driving all the way. But that is of course me. I personally leave about 8 am and drive in one day except if there is a snow storm brewing....

I agree about the staying over, but again the weather could make it difficult. Will have to play it by ear.

I just want to get on that ship and start my vacation, SNOW or no SNOW!!!:p

• 5 months later...

OK, this is a little early as our next cruise out of NYC doesn't leave until June 2008, but I like planning early. We've taken AMTRAK the last 2 times from Baltimore, MD. This time, we've decided to drive. Mapquest has us taking I95 North (merge onto NJ Parkway) and to take the Lincoln Tunnel to Dyer Ave to 42nd street, to 12th and left on 55th. Should we venture further on the Parkway and come across the Hudson at the Bronx and then come south? Or, take the route suggested?

Thanks!

OK, this is a little early as our next cruise out of NYC doesn't leave until June 2008, but I like planning early. We've taken AMTRAK the last 2 times from Baltimore, MD. This time, we've decided to drive. Mapquest has us taking I95 North (merge onto NJ Parkway) and to take the Lincoln Tunnel to Dyer Ave to 42nd street, to 12th and left on 55th. Should we venture further on the Parkway and come across the Hudson at the Bronx and then come south? Or, take the route suggested?

Thanks!

Take the route suggested. Coming through the GWB when you don't have to is just asking for traffic and I think you mean the NJ turnpike not the parkway....

Archived