July 17 - 24 Maasdam Cruise......Canada/New England

sail7seas

Seeing as we live just outside Boston, we had our car company pick us up at 10:30 and after loading the luggage we headed to "MY" Maasdam. We arrived at about 11:00, turned our checked luggage over to the stevedores and entered the terminal. There was a very short line but they directed Suite pax through a slightly different route and we checked in immediately. We happened to be the very first two people to board and we were aboard by 11:20. We had the choice to go to Neptune Lounge but we went to Lido and they were just about ready to begin serving lunch.

Our first meal aboard gave a hint of what was to come. We totally enjoyed our first lunch and....every meal thereafter. We have had food as good as this on other "dam" ships at other times but this was very, very good. We thought Executive Chef Martinus Groenendijk and his sous chefs to be excellent. Susan Singer was supervisor of Lido and she is everywhere, watching everything and sharing her beautiful smile with everyone. She always saw to the little details that make all the difference. She noticed me walking by with a few packages of whole grain rye crackers in my hand and as we had chatted previously that I enjoy whole wheat and whole grains, she casually asked me if I had found all I wanted. That extra attention is always so welcome and appreciated.

Our cabin was ready by about 1:15 and we went to put away our carry on and lock up valuables. We found our cabin spotlessly clean and everything in perfect order. Our steward, Anang, came in to introduce himself and he was delightful then and remained so the entire cruise. He gave us excellent service. We were in 020...next door to the cabin we occupied b-to-b over last Thanksgiving. Everything in 020 worked perfectly. We never required the plumber as we did last cruise. We spoke with our neighbor and they said all was fine in their cabin too. A/C worked fine, plumbing, all was perfect.

The ship looks beautiful and has always been a favorite "dam" ship of mine. The flowers were as lovely as ever and everything was in sparkling, well maintained condition. Maasdam is ten years old and clearly should have many more years to provide us with wonderful, safe voyages. (I felt so silly for it to take me days to figure out why the floral arrangements had a red and white them......duh....we were on a Canada/New England cruise. The flag of Canada, of course, is red and white.)

And speaking of Canada....The friendliness of the people in Halifax and St. John was incredible. We felt so very wanted and it seemed to be a law that every resident must be polite and friendly and offer every assistance to cruise pax. What a nice touch to be handed a beautiful rose as we disembarked and began our exploring. We very much enjoyed our visit to Halifax.

We enjoyed a Suite cocktail party the first night in Neptune Lounge and it was wonderful. We got to see some friends we new from previous cruises and made new friends. Captain Schoonderbeek and Hotel Manager Kees Streuding were great hosts and we enjoyed a chat with each. For some reason, not alot of suite pax came to the party (unlike all the others we have attended) so that gave us a few extra minutes chat time with Captain and Hotel Manager.

Sherry Govender is Guest Relations Manager and is brilliant at her work. She is a stunningly beautiful lady IMO and so gracious. Because we have cruised alot, we have had the opportunity to meet her before when she was Front Office Supervisor and knew it was only a matter of time until she, very deservedly, became a GRM. When she first saw us at the Suite Cocktail, she greeted us so warmly, she made us feel so welcome to be aboard.

Maitre d' Ibnu so kindly honored our request for our "normal" table and it makes alot of difference for us to be able to dine where we most enjoy. Our first dinner was excellent and each meal remained so. Everything was served smoothly and exactly as we requested.

We had two dinners in Pinnacle and they were both very good but not as excellent as we have enjoyed in other Pinnacles. Obviously we thought it good or we would have not returned, but it was not excellent. Service was spotty. Some of it quite smooth and paced well, and then there would be a long wait. Three desserts were served and we waited far too long for my husband's Baked Alaska to be delivered. They should have been brought all at the same time, of course. Not that big a deal but noticeable. One of the ladies at our table ordered her filet mignon medium rare and it came well done. Certainly they brought another but we all know how miserable it is when three of four people have their food and the other person is waiting. Everyone is uncomfortable and it detracts from enjoyment. When her replacement steak came it was very good and she was pleased but it should have come as ordered the first time.

Peggy Sue on this board asked "Did we enjoy sailing to ports located in "our back yard" Yes.....we did, very much. It was a joy to not have to put up with any airports or airplanes but it was also fun to visit Portland, Bar Harbor, Oak Bluffs (Martha's Vineyard).....places that are within three hours of our house but we had never visited before though we've lived here all our lives.

We are not big on ship's tours and much prefer to roam off on our own. We so very much enjoyed walking, strolling, skooting into shops . We found all of the ports to have done alot of redevelopment of waterfront sections. They are, of course, touristy but, afterall, we were tourists. They are kept immacuately clean, beautifully planted with flowers and much design thought went into "the settings". Coming ashore and seeing how attractive everything looks put us in a happy frame of mind to roam and explore.

In Portland, we stopped on the harbor at a pretty outdoor wharf restaurant and feasted on boiled lobsters. The prices were inflated but....when one is sitting at a pretty harbor, looking at our gorgeous Maasdam, the price become very worth it. We totally enjoyed our lunch and were happy we stopped there.

We have lived on the New England coast all of our lives and have never seen such fog as we encountered the whole week. The day we boarded was a gorgeous summer day in Boston, by that night fog developed and we dealt with it until the end of our cruise. The bridge worked hard all night, every night safely navigating us from "here to there". The foghorn sounded all night every night....something we have never experienced before. I found the fogs to be intriguing and perhaps a bit mystical. They did not spoil my enjoyment at all. It took a few hours the first night of adjusting to the sound of the foghorn but after a while either I stopped noticing or it became a sound in the background that began to be normal.

Late every afternoon, Captain Schoonderbeek would speak to us about "where we had been and where we were going" and we enjoyed his talks each day. He explained the fog to us (if I correctly understood ) that because New England had such a severely cold winter this past winter season, the water temperature dropped so low that it never rose this summer to normal warmer temps. When the warm air hits the cold water, a fog develops.

We found the crew to be as friendly and have as wide smiles as always. There is some "indecision" among the stewards as to how the new tipping system will effect their bottom line. They understandably are worried they will be making less money than in the past but are waiting to see after a few more months of the new system is in place.

Our choice was to leave the automatic in place and to tip additional at the end of the cruise to those who took such good care of us. We did see others passing out envelopes so we know we were not the only ones. I do have to think that if things were going so badly for the stewards and if they were sure their income was dropping, they would not be such a happy (appearing) crew. They work so well together and they are so eager (as always in the past) to make pax happy.

We had such a wonderful time that we tried very hard to stay aboard. The ship was sold out for this week but we asked if they learned of a cancellation to let us know.

Signature of Excellence is being put into place on Masdam. Suite towels no longer have the HAL logo...they are plain white but the bath towels are larger. The duvets on the beds are delicious and the mattresses very comfortable. I was not crazy about the pillows.

The newest version of Daily Program is on Maasdam and it takes some getting used to. We were surprised as it it quite different than in the past.

I would recommend this cruise to everyone.....we hope to go again on October 2, 2004.

Any questions, I'm happy to try to answer.

Thanks so much for an excellent review. Now I don't know if I can wait until Aug 21 to sail. We leave from Montreal and end our cruise in your wonderful city of Boston. (going to a Red Sox game Sat. night!!!!!!...did you see the brawl yesterday????)

I know you probably don't know the answer to this because you didn't sail the same route as we, but I wanted to know when Dutch night is on the Montreal to Boston cruise. Anyone out there know?

We are in cabin 003 and previously it had been report that there were lots of problems in that cabin. It sounds as if all is well now. The couple we are traveling with is in cabin 006 and have only been on the Oosterdam. I hope they are not disappointed in the Maasdam...given its age...compared to the Maasdam. This will be the 4th time I have been on the Massdam, and it is also one of my favorites!!!!!

Thanks again for a comprehensive review of your week.

Dee

Welcome Home and thanks for the great review!!:D

It's so refreshing to see that the "changes" on the "Dam" ships have not diminished your enjoyment of the cruise! We found the same thing, the Ryndam is in fine shape, and will be in tip top shape after a 3 week dry dock in Victoria, Canada in late September!

Glad to hear that Ibnu is back on the Maasdam...he`s our all time favorite Maitre D` and was getting off the M when we got on in Dec. Have cruised with him several times and he is always the perfect Maitre D`......jean

:)

Did you get a chance to see Mylene and Ronald? I know from Mylene's last e-mail that they are scheduled to fly home in August.

Sorry to hear that the Pinnacle wasn't up their usual standards. We went there several times in May and didn't have any problems. Maybe you had different servers. Gismo mentioned that sometime in the future, new items are to be added to the Pinnacle Grill menu. Did you have new items.

When we were on the Maasdam last November, the daily programs were different than any we had on the other ships. I made mention of how they can be folded into 3 sections. We had the same type in May. And because they couldn't get everything on the new, smaller program, we had an insert everyday. Does this sound like the new daily program you are talking about?

We did enjoy seeing Mylene and Ronald and they are as friendly and delightful as always. Their plan still remains to go home in August.

We were talking with folks in Pinnacle and the new menu will be introduced in about two weeks. Seems there will be some considerable changes. We dined from the original menu.

I'm sorry if I gave the impression that Pinnacle wasn't good because that isn't true. It was good but IMO was not great. We have enjoyed great in other Pinnacles. We had two very pleasant evenings there and surely would not have gone a second time if the first had been a real disappointment. We totally enjoyed ourselves (and the company we dined with). The first time we went, I had the filet mignon and it was very good but was borderline to being too well done for my taste. The edges were medium but the center was closer to the medium rare I like. One of the other ladies at our table had no choice but to send her filet back. It was totally well done and she requested medium rare. My DH had the rib eye and he said it was fabulous.

The second time at Pinnacle, I had the cioppino. It was good but I'm not sure I would order it again. I liked (but was not wild about) it. DH had another rib eye (he doesn't get much beef from me at home....:) more chicken or fish than beef ) and it was once again perfect to his taste.

I don't want to dissuade anyone from trying Pinnacle because it is well worth the $20 (and far more ) IMO It's just that we have been to alot of them and have had better.

jascruise......There were some changes in the menu.

Off the top of my head, the changes that come to mind are no dover sole on Dutch night; no bami goreng either. They now serve nasi goreng instead....ugh! I loved Bami Goreng and really miss it.

There was no beef wellington. The two lobster tails is now surf and turf with a half lobster. No more calf's liver on the last night.

But...truly, the food is very, very good. We did not particularly mind the few changes seeing as the quality was still there and it all came properly prepared and served hot or cold as appropriate.

On our May Maasdam cruise the Dutch night had Nasi Goreng Rijstafel instead of the Bami Goreng. Husband loves the Bami better than the Nasi.

Also on our cruise we didn't have the surf and turf. The lobster tail was a good size one. And if you wanted the filet, it was a separate dish.

Changes, changes, changes.

Different chef, different length of cruise, different menu.

We were a bit surprised to see meatloaf and fish and chips on the menu the last evening in the Dining Room, but the meals were very good generally.

We had two "good" meals at the Pinnacle, and one "totally spectacular" one!:eek: I was disappointed that the mixed greens with pecans and pears is no longer prepared table side:( The evening of the Vintners dinner the menu was fixed and totally fabulous!!! And the staff as usual were totally accomodating:) Although it was the vintner's dinner, it was 2 nights before we ended our cruise and I had my heart set on the chocolate volcano cake, as our server said " I cannot say no" with a smile and magically the volcano cake materialized although it was not on the menu that evening;):cool:

Thanks for mentioning the meatloaf. I had forgotten about that. We, too, were more than a little surprised to find fish and chips and meatloaf on the Rotterdam dining room menu. Especially to see them both on the same night.

:) Localady

We also did the Sommelier's dinner when we on the Maasdam. We loved it! Even though I am a chocoholic, I did give up the volcano cake for one evening. We were served a white chocolate lemon triangle with wild berry compote instead. It was very good.

We are hoping that the Statendam offers this special dinner.

We were debating whether to go to the Sommerlier's dinner but decided against it as it was only a seven night cruise. If it had been a ten dayer or if we were on back to back, we probably would have gone. Good to know you think it is that good. Perhaps on our next cruise.....

S7S - Thanks for sharing your cruise experience. Glad to hear that you enjoyed stopping at ports so close to home. Portland and Bar Barbor and favorite weekend get-away spots for us. We tend to migrate to the waterfront when we visit and try to take a sail, whale watch etc..so I'm sure it would be enjoyable to be able to be on board a cruise AND be able to spend a day in some of our favorite New England spots. We love Bar Harbor/Acadia and the wonderful carriage paths for walking/biking etc. Simply beautiful on a crisp fall day! Hope it works out that you will be able to board "your" Maasdam again this fall.

Fog..very interesting! One day last week I was returning from work crossing the Beverly/Salem bridge..approaching the bridge the fog was so thick you couldn't see anything. This was about 6 PM. We went out about 7 PM and the fog had totally lifted.

Was the fog only a night/morning event, or was it with you during the day too? It has indeed been a very cool and wet summer around here. Not that I'm complaining, as I love sunny days in the 70's!!

Although I know you've mentioned you do not attend the suite luncheons, was there one offered during your cruise? Did you notice any differneces in the "suite" experience .. for the better or worse?

Welcome home!!

Thanks,

Peggy Sue

We leave in just a few days for the same intinerary. We were thinking of renting a car in portland, but I'd like some opinions. We love "outlet" shopping and heard that freeport was 20 miles & a good drive. Any opinions anyone? Is there good shopping in portland itself?

beth

Peggy Sue.......

The fog began at Martha's Vineyard and never left us, day or night. It was heaviest when we first pulled into port and would often clear somewhat late morning and early afternoon but it always crept back in. We would have stretches during the day when we could sit at the pool, but in the blink of an eye, we'd notice the fog return and then clear and then return.

They had a "Suite Get-together" on Thursday afternoon about 2:00 p.m.

We did not go but I inquired from the Concierge what "get-together" was all about. She said it was lunch. I'm now trying to remember where it was held and I cannot recall. I'll ask DH if he remembers....or if I held onto the Invitation.

We did not notice anything that we have cared about in the past not being offered to Suite Pax. If there was anything, it was not anything we had ever cared about.

bpatrick.....

There is a tour offered to Freeport for shopping through the ship. We have shopped at Freeport in the past and while it is large, lots of shops, there really are not many bargains and much of the merchandise is past season. They have a ton of "name brand stores" and I can see why folks would want to shop there at least once. If you want to rent a car, it should be simple enough and I am sure they would provide you with a map. It would not be a hard drive.

My husband and I enjoy going to different restaurants' wine dinners to learn about wine and discover what we like and don't like. These are usually sponsored by a specific winery and the sales rep is there to discuss the wines. Do the sommeliers on the ship try to do that as well?

KK has posted previously on this Board that the Sommelier was very helpful to her and her husband at the dinner. He explained each wine as it was poured. On that thread, there was another poster who was less impressed and said that they did not receive the same attention.

KK may not have seen this question asked.

You may wish to start a new thread on the subject so it will catch her attention.

Bami Goreng is made with noodles; Nasi Goreng is made with rice.

KK (above) posted a description of Nasi's ingredients....Ketsup is the major flavoring of Bami Goreng but she did not list that for the Nasi.

We've had the Nasi for lunch in Lido but did not expect they would eliminate the Bami in the dining room and substitute Nasi. I was disappointed.

Archived