Best Western's in San Diego

jst4fun715

I was looking at the Best Western site and see that there are several in the San Diego area. I think we want to stay at one of them since I can get a free room with my points.:D I'd like to know if anyone has stayed at any of them and what are they like. We don't need fancy, just clean and comfortable. Also, do the Best Western's have shuttles from the airport and possibly to the pier? I saw one that is right downtown and looks pretty nice. I assume there would be things to do around there. But then again, it would be nice if there was one with a view of the port. Any help is appreciated.

The Best Western Bayside is near the port, and is a fine place to stay, If you have an upper room on the west side, you can just barely see the cruise ship pier.

I would recommend this one over the Best Western Cabrillo Garden (further east downtown), the Best Western Seven Seas (Mission Valley) or the Best Western Hacienda Suites (Old Town). Other options would include the Best Western Island Palms (Shelter Island) which would allow you to watch the ship come into port in the early AM if you have a west facing room, or the Best Western Suites in Coronado, but while these are nice locations, you are a considerable way from the port and would need a car or cabs to do anything.

You would need to check with the individual hotel about their shuttle services.

Splinter, thanks for the info. Is there anything near the Best Western Bayside? We will be arriving about noon and just have the afternoon so we won't be doing too much. We have been to San Diego before for sightseeing, but it would be nice to do a little something.

You can go to Old Town (take the trolley) or to Seaport Village very easily for the afternoon, or walk over to the cruise ship pier and take the passenger ferry over to Coronado, then the bus over to the Hotel del Coronado. The beach there is great for a nice walk. You could also get to Balboa Park and/or the Zoo with just a short cab ride (or take the city bus). You are not far from Little Italy for dinner, or take the trolley down to the Gaslamp and walk around and eat someplace that looks good to you.

The Best Western Bayside has shuttle service to and from both the airport and the pier. Sometimes if the driver has a lull in trips, he might be willing to take you someplace local (Gas Lamp District), never hurts to ask. Have stayed here twice already and am booked again for this October, not fancy but it is good. Rooms include Refrigerator, Microwave, Coffee Maker, Iron & Ironing Board.

We stayed there in January for 2 days before our cruise and 2 days after. We walked down to the harbor area and toured the Maritime Museum. It was very interesting. We ate at Anthony's one night. After the cruise, we stayed an extra day and we took a taxi to the Zoo. I think it was about $8. We spent all day at the Zoo. That night we walked over through Little Italy and burgers and beer at the Waterfront Bar - the oldest bar in San Diego. It was kinda nice to just have burgers and beer after all the fancy food on the cruise.

There is a nice place for lunch just across from the hotel. Petrilli's I think it was. We ate there twice. The Bayside has a voucher for breakfast - I think it is free continental or 10% off regular. It never cost more than $12 for the two of us for full breakfast. I loved the Chorizo eggs and homemade salsa.

Archived