First TImers and excursions

My husband and I will be cruising Grandeur on the Seas, Western Caribbean in March celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. We're first timers. Is it necessary to book excursions at each stop, or is there plenty to do enjoying shops, streets, and bars at Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Costa Maya? We are thinking of the turtle farm at Grand Cayman, but undecided. We're definitely not into parasailing or snorkeling. Thanks for any advice. If there's something surely not to be missed, please tell me.

Those 3 stops are ones where it is VERY easy to just go to a beach, or to go shopping on your own.

I suggest that you go to the "Forum Jump" at the bottom of this page and then to "Ports of Call" to get more info on all there is to do on your own at those ports.

I went to the turtle farm and it's definitely good for a side trip as is a trip to Hell and back.

My DH and I are not into snorkeling either, but I would not miss a trip to Stingray City. It is an experience that I'll never forget! You don't have to snorkel on the tour, you can just get in the water with them. It is worth the trip. It can also be booked independently of the ship.

I can tell you from my experiences that either way you will have a great time. My first cruise, we booked excursions through the cruise line and had a blast. The second cruise, we opted to just walk around and go where the wind took us. This time, we plan to do excursions, this time with private tour companies, and then spend some time as well wandering around.

If it is a budget issue, don't worry about the excursions. At most ports, there is enough right off the ship to explore and there are usually taxis waiting nearby to take you further if you would like.

My husband and I will be cruising Grandeur on the Seas, Western Caribbean in March celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. We're first timers. Is it necessary to book excursions at each stop, or is there plenty to do enjoying shops, streets, and bars at Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Costa Maya? We are thinking of the turtle farm at Grand Cayman, but undecided. We're definitely not into parasailing or snorkeling. Thanks for any advice. If there's something surely not to be missed, please tell me.

We have been to these ports many times! Love Cozumel!! We have done ax excursion in mini cars that takes you touring the perimeter of the island and it is beautiful. The tour includes lunch at a great beach and if you do not like the sun, they have tiki huts. We also love to take a taxi into town for great shopping. We ate at a wonderful restauarant. We have been to the Turtle Farm and think it is sad that they use these turtles for meat. We did an excursion around the island that included the town of Hell, the Turtle Farm etc. and it was nice. Cost Maya consists of the port area where there are shops and a pool. The nice thing to do is to take a taxi ($3pp) into Mahajual. There are restarurants almost in the water, little shops etc. It is rustic but interesting! Hope this helps. Have a great cruise.

1st timers tend to spend a ton of money on excursions--and it's just not necessary! Grabbing a cab to the beach is pretty easy, as is just walking about, taking in the sights. If you're really not that interested in a certain port (if you've seen one, you've seen 'em all!) staying on the ship is a great option! You'll feel like it's your own private "yacht"!!! Having been to Nassau waay too many times, I opt for using the facilities on the ship that I've paid dearly for!

Archived