QE2 Norovirus on World Cruise..news report

patwell

I just found this posted on another site. it appears they've had some problems as the CDC boarded in Mexico and will stay onboard to LA. Hopefully they'll get it handled for everyone on the cruise. Cheers, Penny

www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/16494319.htm

We will not have to worry about it as Cunard called yesterday at 4P.M. ,just as we were finishing our packing to leave Toronto for San Francisco.

They advised ship is oversold and needed our cabin so we were being bumped off the QE2 San Francisco to Sydney. A generous offer of settlement was agreed to after some lengthy negotiations. We went from an inside M4 for 28 days to an A2 balcony for 41 days New York to Sydney on the Queen Victoria maiden World Cruise.It was still quite a shock to find out we were not going only 5 days before sailing

I just found this posted on another site. it appears they've had some problems as the CDC boarded in Mexico and will stay onboard to LA. Hopefully they'll get it handled for everyone on the cruise. Cheers, Penny

We will not have to worry about it as Cunard called yesterday at 4P.M. ,just as we were finishing our packing to leave Toronto for San Francisco.

They advised ship is oversold and needed our cabin so we were being bumped off the QE2 San Francisco to Sydney. A generous offer of settlement was agreed to after some lengthy negotiations. We went from an inside M4 for 28 days to an A2 balcony for 41 days New York to Sydney on the Queen Victoria maiden World Cruise.It was still quite a shock to find out we were not going only 5 days before sailing

They advised ship is oversold and needed our cabin so we were being bumped off the QE2 San Francisco to Sydney. A generous offer of settlement was agreed to after some lengthy negotiations. We went from an inside M4 for 28 days to an A2 balcony for 41 days New York to Sydney on the Queen Victoria maiden World Cruise.It was still quite a shock to find out we were not going only 5 days before sailing.

We went from an inside M4 for 28 days to an A2 balcony for 41 days New York to Sydney on the Queen Victoria maiden World Cruise.It was still quite a shock to find out we were not going only 5 days before sailing.

That is quite an offer. It strike me though that it is very short notice - I'd want more than just the extra 13 nights - and you've got to wait another year your your cruise. Thinking about it I'd be livid if they tried that with me:mad: (I'd like the chance of a 28 or 41 night cruise:) )

An over sold ship happened to us also on a recent cruise with Holland America. They sold our cabin twice.

Like wise we were notified approximately 3 to 5 days prior to sailing. We likewise talked them into giving us a better deal.

They "upgraded" us from a 7 day fully paid cruise to a 10 day "free cruise" in the same category and in the same geographic area. We changed from a 7 day sailing in August on the original vessel to October on the second vessel for 10 days. Plus they gave us a $150 dollar ship board cabin credit on the new 10 day cruise.

"Free" cabin with a full refund of the 7 day cabin fee already paid was good enough of an offer we could not refuse it. They also refunded our money that we paid on excursions we had purchased on the original 7 day cruise.

The 10 day "free" cruise was great!

Used some of the 7 day cruise payment refunded to purchase a new desktop computer with a 21" flat panel screen. Money left over paid for the new 10 day cruise ship's excursions.

So in the end we got a free cruise and new computer system out of Holland America's double booking error.

Will take that deal anytime.:D

bmw's offer from Cunard was nothing to sneeze at, either.

Heck, I'd take that !! ;)

But Malcolm has a point about waiting another year to do that .... but that problem can be solved by booking a cruise in the interim. An extra holiday, perhaps (or 2) to enjoy.

:)

Prior to QE2 arriving in Acapulco, I read on this site:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2007/jan12qe2.htm

that CDC officials had planned to remain on the ship to Los Angeles.

I don't think they found anything out of the ordinary prompting them to stay aboard, as they had already planned to do so.

Who can blame them?

I was just thinking, Julia and I observed a woman in orange bent over behind a planter at the corner of the Chart Room near the puzzle for an extended period of time. We were unable to assess what she was doing. First thought she was crew but wrong clothing. Neither one of us bothered to get up and look to see if there was any leftovers - this was during the time of the heavy swells when we were passing through the front - she could have be seasick.

That is quite an offer. It strike me though that it is very short notice - I'd want more than just the extra 13 nights - and you've got to wait another year your your cruise. Thinking about it I'd be livid if they tried that with me:mad: (I'd like the chance of a 28 or 41 night cruise:) )

I don't think they "forced" the OP to take the deal ... but rather tried to encourage him. Maybe he should have held out for something better, though.

Holland America did something similar with me last year. I had booked the 30-day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise for January 2006. I had booked this cruise almost a year out.

Anyway, in December of 2005, while I'm on a short Celebrity cruise, my travel agent is frantically trying to get in touch with me. Apparently HAL had overbooked the ship and was making some nice deals. One of them open to me was 90 days of the 2006 World Cruise, leaving at about the same time as the Hawaii/South Pacific one, only from Fort Lauderdale instead of San Diego. The 90 days was equivalent to the entire cruise, minus the last segment from Rome back to Fort Lauderdale (I guess that one was sold out). The offer was for similar accommodations at NO extra charge. That's 60 additional days for the price of 30. Not a bad deal. Unfortunately, though, because I still work and am constrained by vacation schedules, I couldn't take advantage of it. There is no way I could be gone for 90 days ... not without quitting my job. But I am sure plenty of other folks on that 30-day cruise took advantage of the deal, because everyone had a cabin by the time we boarded on January 6, 2006.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I am on the QE2, and the CDC boarded in Acapulco and will remain with us until LA. All passengers must disembark while the ship is being super sanitized. There have been many adjustments... no salt and pepper service, ordering the entire meal at once so as not to exhange menus, no self serve anything (e.g. yogurt, etc.) Spraying and wiping down everywhere. All Captain's cocktail parties, World Club, etc. cancelled. Of course, the call at Grand Cayman was also cancelled due to heavy sea swells and wind. So tomorrow we will know whether the cruise will continue.

Bobby

My dad just called and is leaving the ship. He had planned on doing the 108days from NY to NY. He made it 2 weeks and is leaving the ship today in LA.

The cruiseline didn't report to the guest how many are sick. They are requiring everyone off the ship today in LA so they can clean.

He's a world traveller and 1st time on cunard and was not very happen with the way the crew has handled things.

Weather forced them not to dock in Cayman and then the where re-routed from Costa Rica to Columbia without notice.

This outbreak was the last strike. How will Cundard handle refunds on the 94 remaing days?

How will Cundard handle refunds on the 94 remaing days?

they may not - if he is voluntarily abandonning his trip, thats rather up to him, not Cunard. Unless the whole voyage is cancelled, my guess is that he will get nothing. Cunard may offer a discount off a future voyage, or on-board credit as a good-will gesture, but then again may not. Or he might get very lucky and get some money back because some segments are oversold - but I would not count on it. Why is he abandoning the trip? Cunard are hardly responsible for adverse weather that forces them to change ports of call, and the booking terms make clear that ports may be skipped or varied.

Peter

I am scheduled to embark on the World Cruise today in LA. I just spoke with Bobby via cell phone and he confirmed that everyone is required to leave the ship for the day during sanitizing. Free day-long shore excursions for all who want them. I am staying about 3 blocks from the port and can see many buses lined up in the parking lot ready to go.

I called Cunard and was advised that embarkation is now delayed: Check in at 5:00, boarding at 6:00, sailing still scheduled for 10:00.

Guess I'll make up my own shore excursion and go visit the Queen Mary . . .

Dave.

My dad just called and is leaving the ship. He had planned on doing the 108days from NY to NY. He made it 2 weeks and is leaving the ship today in LA.

The cruiseline didn't report to the guest how many are sick. They are requiring everyone off the ship today in LA so they can clean.

He's a world traveller and 1st time on cunard and was not very happen with the way the crew has handled things.

Weather forced them not to dock in Cayman and then the where re-routed from Costa Rica to Columbia without notice.

This outbreak was the last strike. How will Cundard handle refunds on the 94 remaing days?

Since none of this was Cunard's fault I don't know why he would expect to get anything back. Perhaps he just figured 2 weeks on a ship was enough. It would be like buyer's remorse. Not tendering in Cayman was for his own protection. It is quite dangerous there when the waves are high.

He should have read the contract he signed regarding changing ports as well. Hopefully he will reconsider when he learns there is no refund.

I'm sorry that anybody feels that it is in their best interest to suddenly cancel their world cruise after only two weeks.

Unfortunately, they have probably brought on to themselves a good amount of frustration, anger, and bother that would have been avoided had they been more patient and aware of the issues that they apparently feel are reason enough to jump ship.

I guess the next leg of the world cruise will have some vacancies.

My semi-unpacked suitcase is still on the living room floor, after disembarking QE2 on Jan. 10

I'm only forty minutes away from the ship right now...pretty much packed and ready to go...

were re-routed from Costa Rica to Columbia without notice.

This was announced prior to departure from Southampton. There was a flier in the cabin announcing the substitution and outlining shore excursions. I'm surprised he was not informed before NY.

J

so the norovirus wouldn't detour you from sailing further on the ship?

Not after all the cleaning and sanitizing they will be doing. I would certainly be more cautious with hand washing once back on board but I can't imagine I'd be willing to give up the rest of what was probably a long planned for trip.

Certainly this has not been what everyone was expecting but I can't imagine it would make me cancel.

Cheers, Penny

Well interestingly on my 20 night US / Canada cruise on QE2 this past Sep/Oct the first I heazd about an 'smaller' outbreak of the Noro-virus was in the Sunday newspapers back in the UK myfirst weekend back!!!!! I did though hear from a friend who was on 5 deck that she had seen some passengers who were obviously not well & 'confined' to their cabins.

I don't think though even if I suffered from the sypmptons that I would want to jump ship esp. with such lovely food & service on QE2 and the voyage of a lifetime- am currently trying to tempt my parents to book on a World Cruise!

Regards,

RJMS74

no, it would not deter me - as long as I was careful with my own personal hygiene I imagine I would be fine......and if the worst happened I'd lose 2 days out of 108.......

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/Norovirus/Norovirus.htm

No, not two weeks into the world cruise.

[url=http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/Norovirus/Norovirus.htm][/url]

Although 16% of passengers with symptoms seems like a lot, it also means

84% without.

I sure wouldn't be happy coming down with symptoms, but two days later it's just a bad memory, and the whole world awaits...

People tend to forget that Norovirus happens on land as well. This was reported on CNN today:

HERNDON, Virginia (AP) -- A Hilton hotel outside Washington has been closed for a top-to-bottom scrubbing after 15 employees and more than 100 guests were sickened by the highly contagious norovirus, a hotel spokesman said Friday.

J

Bobby,

Thanks for the update on what is happening. Last Friday I saw on this board the reports of the norovirus on QE2. I immediately contacted my travel agents who in turn contacted Cunard Aus, Cunard UK and Cunard US for an update. They in turn contacted the ship. I have been on QE2 before when there was a smaller outbreak of norovirus and did not want to repeat the experience. I have cancelled the cruise and been promised a full refund from Cunard. I am sorry I will not be meeting you on board as planned. I hope things sort themselves out, but from my experience, if the whole World Cruise is cancelled, or if people decided not to continue, Cunard will do the right thing by you.

Regards, Louise

Archived