QE2 Norovirus on World Cruise..news report

patwell

I'm just wondering if there'll be some cheap WC segments on sale soon:D I'll keep an eye open for emails from Cunard:D

I wouldn't count on it - unless there was a mass disembarkation in LA - Cunard may be grateful at freeing up cabins with only having to 'refund' - rather than the 'better' deals they are offering people they are having to bump off.....

Peter

Bobby,

. I have cancelled the cruise and been promised a full refund from Cunard. I am sorry I will not be meeting you on board as planned. I hope things sort themselves out, but from my experience, if the whole World Cruise is cancelled, or if people decided not to continue, Cunard will do the right thing by you.

Regards, Louise

:rolleyes: Hmmmmmm No comment :rolleyes:

Don't be silly.

It is actually more prevalent on land.

And name me a ship that hasn't, at some time, had a bout of illness....

Matthew

Hear, hear!

My wife says she has more of a chance to contact a virus going to her office. I agree with you completely!

We'll just have to rough it! No way would we cancel, as staying at home only exposes us to a Flu virus here. Good living isn't free, and time waits for no one!

Wash those hands. Watch what you touch. And don't take drink that isn't less than 4% alcohol. ;)

Never would we cancel a trip on the Queens on those grounds.

Kurt

Well interestingly on my 20 night US / Canada cruise on QE2 this past Sep/Oct the first I heazd about an 'smaller' outbreak of the Noro-virus was in the Sunday newspapers back in the UK myfirst weekend back!!!!! I did though hear from a friend who was on 5 deck that she had seen some passengers who were obviously not well & 'confined' to their cabins.

I don't think though even if I suffered from the sypmptons that I would want to jump ship esp. with such lovely food & service on QE2 and the voyage of a lifetime- am currently trying to tempt my parents to book on a World Cruise!

Regards,

RJMS74

We were on a 28 night trip following this mid NOv to mid Dec. Yes, there was Norovirus whilst we were on board. The level of alert moved from amber to red. The sanitisation precautions were everywhere, no condiments, rub on entrance to restaurant, sanitisers around the ship....you know the drill. And we passed the entire voyage without so much as a hiccough. We followed the same routine as at home ie washing hands frequently and always before putting near mouth. The only additional precaution was a bottle of alcohol rub which we used on deck after handling rails etc (even though they'd been cleaned down by crew).

It's an unpleasant tummy bug, but let's keep a sense of proportion. I'm convinced it's largely avoidable by attention to personal hygiene. Unlike other bugs which come through eating contaminated food and which you can't do anything about.

Very sorry that someone has canclled the rest of their trip...I'll goicon7.gif

My wife encountered the virus last June/July. Apparently Southampton is a well-known source of this trouble. Anyway, it knocked her off her feet for a couple days. But they cleaned our room VERY well, were as polite and as accomodating as possible and, in the end, gave us a refund for those days. Certainly, she would have preferred to not get it. But that's not something she or anyone else can control. She was VERY careful as was Cunard.

If it had been 2 of 5 days, that would have been a different story, I guess. But the World Cruise is MUCH more than the two days this thing lasts.

I have never had Norovirus onboard, but I have had it on land. It is also known as winter vomiting sickness and is really not very nice. You can count on being out of action for about three or so days. Having said that there is no way I would walk off a world cruise after two weeks, that is madness by anyones standards. I very much doubt that the passenger who walked off will get anything back at all. Travel insurance doesn't cover disinclination to travel.

The level of alert moved from amber to red. The sanitisation precautions were everywhere, no condiments, rub on entrance to restaurant, sanitisers around the ship....you know the drill. Very

Hope this doesn't sound too silly a question......

"No condiments" - what exactly was removed, and did you (in practice) feel that there was anything more than usual?

I'm always impressed that the routine is dealt with so very thoroughly. I didn't notice anything on the crossing - but wonder if the complaints regarding missing nuts on bars was part of this routine?

Matthew

Just on our World News Tonight......

Over 300 pax and several crew members were stricken with the Norovirus.

The ship will have a top to bottom cleaning; they showed people in staterooms steam cleaning drapery and washing down walls.

They went on to say that 17 states here have seen a higher than normal outbreak of the virus.

CNN Radio just misreported that the outbreak came onboard in San Franciso. Are we really that geographically iliterate?

J

Sadly, many Americans are. Also, KTVU local morning TV here in San Fran reported it was the QM2 that just arrived. It's so hard to get good help these days I tell ya!

Its now on the BBC website, though they are a bit behind the game - after the headline 'over 300' they concede that now its down to 6:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6297443.stm

Though CNN says 4:

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/01/24/cruiseship.outbreak.ap/

Both of which must be within the normal range in the general population.

There is also confusion where it started - the BBC suggesting it came onboard in New York.....

Peter

Archived