Temps in May?

lucia1024

Just anecdotal evidence, but in over 30 years here, the temperatures around Juneau have varied from freezing to the high-60's. I've seen snow on May 12, and I've put on shorts on May 25 (different years, of course!)

Historically, May is the driest month, but don't plan on any lack of moisture! Just come prepared for an AVERAGE of something in the 50's. Bring your layers, bring your water and wind-proof jackets/ponchos/etc...

-Case

Hi - my DH and I are also sailing May 20 - we are sailing out of Seattle on Noordam and I've been researching the same thing. From what I could tell the low could be around 40 with a high around 55. I believe those were the averages anyway but can't recall where I saw that, a travel book maybe, who knows with as much reading as I have been doing lately.

We crusied May 26th a few years ago and the temps varied greatly. Just remember the Highs/Lows you are reading are land temps. Whale Watching, Glacier Viewing on the 12th or 14th deck with winds howling can make it very cold.

I personally think May is the best time of year to visit Juneau. It seems as though we always have nice weather. June can also be a good month and July is sketchy as is August and September. Hopefully, the summer of 2007 is much better than 2006 in which was in my opinion aweful and the worst year I could remember, weatherwise.

Also, I believe the cruise ships offer the best prices in May. Bonus!

Thanks guys for your help.

I was hoping to hear that the weather would definitely be in the 60's, but it doesn't seem that way from your experiences. Maybe we'll be lucky and have unusually warm weather. You never know with the crazy weather we have been having all of the world!!!

I guess I better be prepared to bring thermals for the glacier tours. I live in FL so I am not fond of the cold.

Thanks again.

Hi - my DH and I are also sailing May 20 - we are sailing out of Seattle on Noordam and I've been researching the same thing. From what I could tell the low could be around 40 with a high around 55. I believe those were the averages anyway but can't recall where I saw that, a travel book maybe, who knows with as much reading as I have been doing lately.

This is freaking me out! I'm Judy in Georgia, Atlanta suburb and I'll be in Alaska May 20~!!! I've also been doing A LOT of reading.

This is freaking me out! I'm Judy in Georgia, Atlanta suburb and I'll be in Alaska May 20~!!! I've also been doing A LOT of reading.

This is double freaking me out. I am from Trinidad (most southern caribbean island) and will be sailing to Alaska on the Serenade OS on May 12 out of Vancouver. I will bring as much warm weather with me as possible:D:D

Archived