What to wear on shore in Alaska

kalliea

We are taking our first cruise to Alaska and don't want to be cold and miserable. We are going in Aug and I am not sure how cold it will be. Do we need winter wear or will jeans and hiking boots work. Do we need a heavy parka or windbreaker. We don't go to the snow much so we have little in the way of winter clothes and will need to get what we will need soon. I live in CA and will have a hard time finding cold weather clothes in about a month.

Please help.

Kallie

i was there last sept..took jeans, fleece vest, light wieght hooded sweat, rain ponch (folded in small pouch) and a jacket a little heavy then a wind breaker. . the temps weren't that cold, just rainy in sept. glacier bay we had sun..not cold at all. but usually, if you have any wind, you get the cold air blowing off the ice. you might need some gloves and cap/hat to get warm. parkas are way too bulky, especially for that time of the year. layers..just think layers. then as you warm up you can strip off the layers and stay comfy.

We are taking our first cruise to Alaska and don't want to be cold and miserable. We are going in Aug and I am not sure how cold it will be. Do we need winter wear or will jeans and hiking boots work. Do we need a heavy parka or windbreaker. We don't go to the snow much so we have little in the way of winter clothes and will need to get what we will need soon. I live in CA and will have a hard time finding cold weather clothes in about a month.

Please help.

Kallie

We were in Alaska during the month of September. I think the key to packing for a cruise to Alaska is to think 'layers'. No need to take heavy parkas or lots of winter wear. We lived in jeans when on shore. On top, we layered a shirt and windbreaker with hood. If it was really windy or we were out early in the morning, we sometimes wore a sweater under the windbreaker. If you intend to go hiking, take the boots. If you're just walking around in the ports, leave them at home. Cross-trainers or tennis shoes will do. We also took pairs of knit gloves and stuffed them in our windbreaker pockets. They came in handy when we were on the whale watching tour and while visiting the glaciers. Don't forget a few pairs of shorts, because August can be fairly warm during the day if the sun is out.

Hope you enjoy the cruise. Alaska is awesome!!

Sherry

You've already gotten the best advice - layers. We were there in June. It was not always "cold" on our excursions, but I took jeans, cords, long sleeves, sweaters, hiking boots, some kind of jacket - things you can peel off as you need to. The cold weather Under Armor (the top, I mean) would be great I think. In the mornings - early mornings - we'd be out on the bow of the ship to see the whales or glaciers and it was really cold then - coats, hats & gloves cold. My motto is better to take it and not need it than need it and not have it. Don't forget your swimsuit!! That was so awesome sitting in that hot tub, 11:00 at night, still light enough to read my book, watching glaciers go by. Alaska's the best!!

We were there last June (second week) and I wore during the day and a t-shirt and jacket in the morning. In the afternoon, I took off the jacket. We had 80 degree days while we were there. I think I wore my jeans one day - if that. I agree, take a t-shirt, sweatshirt and light windbreaker.

The weather should be very nice, but keep checking the weather report as time approaches. We sailed in the beginning of September and it was VERY NICE. We did jeans, sweaters and light weight sweats...do carry a hat/cap for the wind and perhaps a windbreaker or jacket of some sort.

PinkSuit

My Alaska cruise in late August/early September was extremelly rainy and quite cold.

I packed layers and it worked perfectly. I prefer cords to jeans and also wore athletic style clothing as I prefer it for movement and comfort.

For outerwear, I wore a waterproof jacket with hood, no lining, mid thigh length. It served me well.

Alaska can be tricky.

We were there in August of 2005 and the weather was quite mild. The only day I would have called cold at all was the few hours we were at Hubbard Glacier. We even left our balcony door open all night and could walk the decks at night with no jacket, it was warmer and balmy on the ocean, cooler in port. During sea days, kids were in the pools (it was a bit cool for that for us!), but we still didn't need jackets at all.

You should expect some rain no matter when you go. If you have a completely dry week, consider yourself lucky.

So, I'd recommend light layers, take along at least one pair of shorts and a few short sleeved shirts and a longer length rain coat. Leave the heavy coats at home, they would just be unnecessary weight and bulk. Unless you have predictions that go way lower than average, leave the turtlenecks at home, too.

Then, check the weather the day before you go. Although the forecasts are not completely accurate, you will get a ballpark range as what to expect. You can adjust your wardrobe according to the forecast, any predictions this far in advance are pretty much worthless.

It is still summer in Alaska in August, it's not winter and it's not freezing cold. Average temps range around the mid 60's that time of year.

A co-worker of mine cruised Alaska a few years ago the first week in May. She and almost everyone else bundled up for the week, only to have temps in the 80's (very rare, but it happens). She told me they roasted all week, but a few fortunate folks had packed a few pair of shorts.

My first trip to the Inside Passage in May was really cold and wet. I took a long winter fur lined raincoat with hat, scarf & gloves, and was glad I had them. My husband (who usually runs around Southern California in shorts and t-shirts even in the winter, even put on jeans and a jacket. I think we reached 50 in Juneau the one day the sun was out.

For my next trip in August, I have looked at the weather history for Interior Alaska. It is showing 60-65 degrees. That to me is not warm. I still wear sweats here when it is that temp. I do plan to take some pedal pushers that end at just below the knee and some t-tops, but I also plan on taking my sweats. I will also have my gloves, hat and scarf. They don't take up that much room. If I'm cold and wet, that would make the trip miserable. I will have a rain poncho as well as a coat. If I don't need them, oh well, I've taken them for nothings. But if it is cold and I do need them and don't have them, I'd have to buy something.

I will check the weather channel again when it gets closer to sailing date, but I myself do not plan to take any shorts. There is always the possibility there could be a heat wave, but I'd want 80's for me to wear shorts. Just my opinion though.

Try to pack for all weather, and have a great cruise!:)

Our son's SO seemed to have the best overall day excursion outfit for Alaska.

Simple: Khakis/or jeans, a TShirt, a v-neck light cotton thermal long sleeve T, a Land's End unlined Goretex hoodie short jacket & Merrell chameleon Goretex fabric/suede-type waterproof hikers. In one pocket of her jacket she had a small rolled up pair of those funky, shrinky kinda of knit gloves you get for $3 at drugstore & in the other pocket a fleece skier headband. The jacket & Long T were very light & easy to roll up into her backpack when it was warm. Or if she was just using jacket pockets for money & sail card & not caring her backpack, she'd put the long T in her jacket pocket & tied the jacket around her waist when it got warmer.

Goretex is a light weight, wind-resistant, chill stopping, water-repellent miracle.

We had absolutely perfect weather in Sept. 05 and wore more shorts (Daytime) than anything..but again..LAYERS!!

It was the one cruise where we probably had 6 different outfits on in one day..our wardrobe literally changed on the hour!! (T shirts, jacket, no jacket, back to a jacket, shorts, bathing suit, then jeans, then dress for dinner, then sweats for the balcony!!) We had no rain, except for about 10 minutes in Juneau and we were already back on the ship...It went from 80 to 50 in a heartbeat!!

No complaints...my favorite cruise ever!!!!

Just pack a little bit of everything..you'll be fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Please help.

Kallie

Don't you have a Cabelas or Gander Mountain or some other kind of "outfitting" store near you? If not, order a Cabelas catalog online, and get the kind of Gortex and Thinsulate clothing that you need. A light Gortex rainjacket will help in the wind as well, and take a baseball cap with a visor to keep the sun out of your face, so you can spot those critters along the shore. Stuff a pair of gloves in the pockets. I live in Minnesota, so I know what to buy, what is quality, what isn't, and what works for me and what doesn't. I ice-fish on Lake Of The Woods up by the Canadian border in the winter, where the high temperature of the day can still be below zero, and the wind can really be nasty, so I buy quality outdoor clothes that keep me warm. Like everyone says, dress in layers, and pack for the four kinds of weather: Cold - Hot -Wet -Dry. Have a great cruise!!

:) Hi, I agree with all the people who have said layering is the

best way to go.

I am one of those who got very lucky with the weather too.

I cruised to Alaska last May (2006). That was the very beginning

of the season and it only rained twice all week. And we had

sun and it was averaging in the high 50s...low 60s!

I brought turtlenecks (along with t-s) and sweaters with

1 jacket made by Columbia. It is fleece and there were many

days I just wore it with the turtleneck and didn't need the sweater.

Jeans for daytime worked fine for me but I also brought

moleskin pants. They are wonderful, feel like suade but not

nearly as heavy and washable:)

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived