I'm BACK from the O

10s nut

I just spent over an hour composing all of my wonderful experiences on the Oosterdam. I also talked about my two negatives...imbarkcation and the whale watching/snorkeling experience.

I really am upset that it is ALL gone. I spent so much time trying to give all of you a great review. Mr. Deering and Simon had this to say about the Crow's Nest. It will be turned into the Explorer's Lounge with a retractable wall. The library and the internet cafe will become upscale stores. Simon has much to share about the Signature of Excellence as he has been intimately involved with it all.

I have so much to talk about...loved any time dining...was prepared to hate it, loved the cabin...hated the WEATHER...lol. And the ship was cold...come prepared.

Please ask if you have any questions...we got the t pool spa for the week, saw a few shows, and met some great people.

can't do the review again...sorry guys.

Very sorry, 10snut; I have to say I've also been there....:(

Others here have recommended that we compose our reviews in Microsoft Word format, then copy and paste over here on the CC boards. You could also try Tinknock's technique, of clicking "back" twice, then hitting "refresh", and the posts do somehow reappear.

What did you like best about "anytime" dining? No worries, please respond as the spirit moves you, or as the CC boards permit you!:)

Karin

If I type a long post on any board, I always do a CNTL A to highlight all the text I wrote, and a CNTL C to copy it. That way if I lose the post, I can just paste it into a new posting window. Not a bad habit to adopt when you do a lot of posting, like I do.

That said, when are they planning to do the work on the ODam? Hubby and I just LOVE the crow's nest, and hung out there on the Westerdam on our Alaska cruise - spent about half our waking hours up there gawking at all the scenery! Will there still be a crows' nest for our trip in March??? :confused:

I pretty much use Microsoft Word to compose my messages prior to posting them. It allows me to spell check and grammar check my message and then I just Copy & Paste from MS Word to the message board. I may get the white page from the message board or even a fatal error message but when going back to the message board my posting is always there.

Sorry to hear that you lost your LONG review. I know how much time and effort goes into typing a review.

I've also learned to "Copy and Paste" using Microsoft Works when it comes to typing reviews. I will save the review on Microsoft Works until I'm sure it has made a safe journey from there to the message boards :D

Yeah on the MS Word. Somehow just never had the problems on the boatd. Now I know!!!

As for the anytime dining. I have tried it on Princess and NCL, but HAL certainly has it right. If you want to make a reservation, you only have a few set times...such as 5:45 or 7:45. Just showing up gives you any time. If you want a set table, such as a table for 2 or 4, it just takes a brief time for this. If you have to wait you get a buzzer and you can go have a drink. It is SO easy and wonderful. The waiters want you to come back to their table as they realize that this might be their only chance for extra tips. The vast majority of them go out of their way to make you feel special and give you extraordinary service.

Oh Trust me I know the feel oh too well myself of having a lost post. Hey dummy me has even done it using word when I was first using my laptop and was writing a long review when I was on the Westerdam back in March 2005. I was so mad I started to cry:( Then you just don't have it in you to write it again. Best is just to walk away from the computer and try it later or the next day. I did that and I think the review turned out pretty good.

I am glad to hear that you really liked the Oosterdam, she really is a wonderful ship with so much to offer. She has just had such a bad rap on her lately and I think she is finally starting to shine with good reviews again.:)

LaffNVegas...I posted something particularly about you...I thought you were totally obsessed about HAL, especially looking at the web cam etc. etc. Now, lady, I will be right there with you:D In fact, yesterday, I made hubby watch the people on the "wave" deck!!! Honestly, I am hooked on this line. Guess I will be with all of you looooooooking at everyone leaving and wishing I was there:p

As for the Crow's Nest renovations, Simon/Mr. Deering did not give a time frame other than the O and the Westerdam are the last two. So I think these changes will be taking place next year. He also was very interesting in saying that his "theory" was that in the near future people would be choosing their cruise...and only paying for what they want. IE..wine, spa, concierge, gym..etc...and this would be put in your boarding card like the coke card or wine card...everything would be programmed. This is based on what he saw on NCL where they already know where every passenger is based on the microchip built into the boarding card.

If anyone has any specific questions, I would be happy to answer them. I was NOT impressed with my shore excursion...PV..whale watching/snorkeling. I am an experienced snorkeler and this was awful. Lots of very inexperienced people...way too many of them. I would just say this should be a whale watching trip.

Oh, I know how addicting it gets be. I think for both DH and I is the fact that a cruise is just so relaxing and we really like how we feel while on the cruise. DH says he sleeps better on the ship than any where else and we even have one of the mattresses. But it is more than the bedding, actually it is everything. The oosterdam has been special to us from the first time we cruised on her in May 2004.:)

I really am upset that it is ALL gone. I spent so much time trying to give all of you a great review. Mr. Deering and Simon had this to say about the Crow's Nest. It will be turned into the Explorer's Lounge with a retractable wall. The library and the internet cafe will become upscale stores. Simon has much to share about the Signature of Excellence as he has been intimately involved with it all..

So 10s nut, if they are turning the Crows Nest into the Explorer's lounge, what are they going to do with the old Explorer's lounge? Is it going to become the Internet cafe. You said there was going to be a retraceable wall in the new Explorer's lounge, what is the purpose of that?

Hi Reba

Sorry for your troubles with the post - I was looking forward to your comments! Sorry you didn't care for the excursion - I'd welcome more info, since at dinner tonight with some friends I was lamanting that I didn't do a snorkeling tour in PV!

I too was very interested in Simon/Mr. Deerings comments on the pay for what you want approach. Very interesting and it really seemed to make sense when they presented it. I passed these thoughts along to my group and they seemed receptive of this information. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Also interesting to see what will happen with the Crow's Nest - as I stated in my review - it really is one of my favorite spots on the ship. I hope they don't take that away from us!

Wow!

When someone said that Oosterdam was going to be used as the fleet lab rat, they weren't kidding!!! :eek:

Converting the Crows Nest into the Expl Cafe ??

1st, it was gutting the best lounge on board (Ocean Bar) ... now the Crows Nest. Who's coming up with these ideas? Shoot them! :D

They will be doing it to all of the Vista class ships to give people the opportunity to be plugged into music, looking at the ocean, emailing etc. Obviously this lounge is not used as much as they think it should be. The retractable divider will make the room larger in the day, then at night can still be used for a lounge or other purposes. I personally think it's a great idea. I hate the internet cafe being in an out of the way place, and I like San Diego, was NOT impressed with the library. I found it small and as it was close to the shops, music was always heard...and not relaxing music:D Those two rooms will have added upscale shops. More revenue for HAL...lol.

Kristine...the snorkeling in PV is just plain bad. I would not recommend it to anyone. There probably are much better places in Mexico. But I would NOT pay for snorkeling, especially going out an hour by boat to reach the spot. The whale watching part was fun though.

Please feel free to ask any more questions. It was so much fun meeting everyone on the CC boards. And sincerely, we were treated like royalty. I loved that part...Queen for a week:p

Mr. Deering and Simon had this to say about the Crow's Nest. It will be turned into the Explorer's Lounge with a retractable wall. The library and the internet cafe will become upscale stores. Simon has much to share about the Signature of Excellence as he has been intimately involved with it all.

Hmmmm ... well, this is what they're doing with the Signature class SHIP ... the Eurodam. If they're doing it to the existing vistas (except for the Noordam, which already has an Explorations Cafe) that would further reduce the differences between the Vistas and the Signature ship.

So 10s nut, if they are turning the Crows Nest into the Explorer's lounge, what are they going to do with the old Explorer's lounge? Is it going to become the Internet cafe. You said there was going to be a retraceable wall in the new Explorer's lounge, what is the purpose of that?

Don't confuse the Explorers Lounge with the Explorations Cafe ... they are two different things. Nothing is happening to the Explorers Lounge: it's staying put. What it sounds like they're going to do is retrofit at least the Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, and Westerdam with the Explorations Cafe ... but, instead of putting it where it belongs (down in the internet/library area, where it can be found on the S, Rs, and the Noordam), they're going to put it up on the Starboard side of the Crows Nest -- same configuration as will be found on the Signature Class ship, the Eurodam.

Personally, I think it's stupid. Why separate the Library from the Explorations Cafe when the two naturally go together???

Reba - I agree. We were on the Ryndam last year and loved the library there - it was large, had relaxing areas/lounge chairs, where we could read, plug into CDs, etc and look out over the ocean. The coffee bar was right there and had delicious coffee, you could get on the internet, play games at the tables, etc. I really enjoyed it and was a little disappointed the Oosterdam didn't offer that type of environment.

Sorry about the snorkeling. At least you got to see some Whales! I've always found that Hawaii has the best snorkeling.

They will be doing it to all of the Vista class ships to give people the opportunity to be plugged into music, looking at the ocean, emailing etc. Obviously this lounge is not used as much as they think it should be. The retractable divider will make the room larger in the day, then at night can still be used for a lounge or other purposes. I personally think it's a great idea. I hate the internet cafe being in an out of the way place, and I like San Diego, was NOT impressed with the library. I found it small and as it was close to the shops, music was always heard...and not relaxing music:D Those two rooms will have added upscale shops. More revenue for HAL...lol.

Have you ever been aboard the Noordam? The Noordam has the Explorations Cafe in place of the unused Java Cafe and the Internet space. It's an excellent configuration and use of space and, frankly, I find it hard to believe that the Line is going to rip out the Explorations Cafe on the Noordam and re-install it up in the Starboard side of the Crows Nest. The other Vistas? Yes ... sure ... all three need an Explorations Cafe, so following the plan for the Signature class ship and putting it up on the starboard side of the Crows Nest make some sense -- though I still think it's stupid to do that, leaving the Library down in the middle off all those shops.

Have you ever been aboard the Noordam? The Noordam has the Explorations Cafe in place of the unused Java Cafe and the Internet space. It's an excellent configuration and use of space and, frankly, I find it hard to believe that the Line is going to rip out the Explorations Cafe on the Noordam and re-install it up in the Starboard side of the Crows Nest. The other Vistas? Yes ... sure ... all three need an Explorations Cafe, so following the plan for the Signature class ship and putting it up on the starboard side of the Crows Nest make some sense -- though I still think it's stupid to do that, leaving the Library down in the middle off all those shops.

I agree. I think that the Vistas could use the Explorations cafe, but have it in the same configuration as the Noordam - I thought when the Westerdam goes into Drydock this spring in Europe, that was the goal - to make it more like the Noordam, not the Eurodam.

If HAL does anything to the Crow's nest on the Vista ships, I'd love to see them give it the same treatment as the Ryndam/Statendam got after their SOE enhancements. And I'm not totally opposed to having the Explorations Cafe in the Crows Nest either. I just sort of assumed they'd finish putting the SOE enhancements in all the ships (we still had the old TV's, toiletries, and bedding on the Zuiderdam in September) before they decide they're going to relocate facilities within the ships.

Archived