QE2 in San Francisco

CL-JW

QE2 will be in San Francisco on Wednesday, January 24th.

We are pretty excited about this as this will be our first chance to see QE2 in person.

Hopefully we can get some decent pics of her coming under the Golden Gate, but it will be before sunrise, so I don't know if they'll come out or now. We are also planning on taking a ferry trip to try and get some shots of her at Pier 35 later that day.

Perhaps you can try time exposures to catch her going under the Golden Gate. You must remains very still. Best bet is a tripod, or if you do not have one, set the camera on your car or a railing (flat, of course) where it can sit without you having to hold it. Failing that, if digital, try a short video shot. You may be able to pull off a still from that.

Good luck!

Karie, who has yet to figure out what all of the little icons mean on her camera. They look like hieroglyphics to me!

Perhaps you can try time exposures to catch her going under the Golden Gate. You must remains very still. Best bet is a tripod, or if you do not have one, set the camera on your car or a railing (flat, of course) where it can sit without you having to hold it. Failing that, if digital, try a short video shot. You may be able to pull off a still from that.

Good luck!

Karie, who has yet to figure out what all of the little icons mean on her camera. They look like hieroglyphics to me!

She docks at 6AM so we will be in the city at around 4AM. We have a couple of tripods so we will put one digital camera on one and the video camera on the other. The tripod should hopefully let us get some nice pics as she sails past all lit up.

Good afternoon!

Well it’s been a long day. We got up at 3AM and went into San Francisco to watch the QE2 sail in. WOW!!

What a beautiful liner! We’ve only seen her in pictures. It’s so different seeing her “live”. We went to the end of Pier 39 and got shots of her sailing under the Golden Gate and into the bay. We then made our way to Pier 35. A security guard there told us that we could go in and watch from the viewing lounge. This was pretty cool because the ship had just docked. Well, when we got there, not only could we view from the lounge, they let us go through and outside to the waterfront itself. Nothing between us and QE2 except a hundred feet or so. Bonus!!

Next, we went to Coit Tower and got some shots, then onto the Golden Gate Ferry to Larkspur to get some shots from the bay.

Attached is a link to some of our pics. Hope you like them.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/557198851dhStta

Criag and Jack,

Thanks so much for posting the wonderful pics of QE2. I didn't have my camera with me, but I don't think I could've outdone your great shots. And getting up at that hour... I just now walked down to Pier 35 on a late lunch break and she sure looks great. Not like the usual stack of balconies that we see there when a ship is in. Even her funnel looks so majestic compared to most and it's great seeing that Cunard red. Thanks again.

Criag and Jack,

Thanks so much for posting the wonderful pics of QE2. I didn't have my camera with me, but I don't think I could've outdone your great shots. And getting up at that hour... I just now walked down to Pier 35 on a late lunch break and she sure looks great. Not like the usual stack of balconies that we see there when a ship is in. Even her funnel looks so majestic compared to most and it's great seeing that Cunard red. Thanks again.

It is our pleasure. We really had such a great time. Looking forward to QM2 on 2/4. We'll be in SF around 2 or so.

Almost forgot - Channels 5, 7, 11 (NBC) and KRON were all at the pier this AM.

The reporter from Channel 7 said they will probably air some footage at 5 and 6. Didn't speak to anyone from the other networks.

Too bad they only seemed interest in Noro.

Yes, I'll be there to check the QM2 out too. Maybe I'll see you guys around.

John

We'd like that. We were thinking of going to Aquatic Park at first and then make our way down to Pier 39 as she gets closer to docking.

Let us know if you'd like to get together. Looking forward to seeing QM2 again.

It is our pleasure. We really had such a great time. Looking forward to QM2 on 2/4. We'll be in SF around 2 or so.

We'd like that. We were thinking of going to Aquatic Park at first and then make our way down to Pier 39 as she gets closer to docking.

Let us know if you'd like to get together. Looking forward to seeing QM2 again.

Sure. I'd love to meet up at some point that day. Not sure how it is that we exchange email addresses or phone numbers on these boards...

Sure. I'd love to meet up at some point that day. Not sure how it is that we exchange email addresses or phone numbers on these boards...

You could post your e-mail address as a comment on our webshots album. That way it will stay private.

Craig & Jack:

Most sincere thanks to you for sharing your absolutely beautiful photos with us. As a QE2 fan, and as someone who sailed to and from Pier 35 many times - aboard the old Lurline, Monterey and Mariposa - back in the late 1960s through late 1970s, it was fun seeing my "two worlds" meet: QE2 at Pier 35 !!!

Of course, the San Francisco Chronicle had a photo of QE2 in this AMs paper, with notation that several other cruise ships are due in the near future, including Dawn Princess, QM2, and "the new Oriana" (which has been sailing the 7 seas for 11 years!) and has called at San Francisco several times.

Reporters and their editors can rarely get it right!! Just because it is in black and white does not mean it is true!!

Thank you for taking tme & effort to catch the beauty of the QE2 sailing & docked in San Francisco - surely one of the most beautiful cities in the world!!!

I could not go this year but its a dream to sail under the Golden Gate Bridge onboard QE2...hopefully the world cruise ill return to your fair city!!!

Archived