1st time -Navigator cabin advise please

AMOR

Hello. I am planning on the Nov 7th transatlantic crossing... I rang RSSC and they have given me a GUAR F category - they are holding it till Thursday for me (BTW- I really felt rushed off the phone, is that normal?)

In any case, I have read some bad things about F category and vibration... does anyone know if the problem exists with all the F category cabin?

For transatlantic westbound, is it significantly better to get a portside cabin?

What are the chances of upgrade for 1st time cruiser if I go with the GUAR?

thanks in advance for any advice.

I would seriously stay away from Category F; especially on a transatlantic. If you are in a G or H midship you will be more than fine. Anything that is away from the stern will work.

Generally there is a better chance of an upgrade if you purchase a guarantee on a crossing because the ships tend not to be full. But alas, there is no guarantee that you will be upgraded...and sitting in an F could be problematic. I tend to be a betting man, but would not take this bet.

Yes, all the cabins in Cat. F are in the back of the ship and that's where the vibration problems exists. I would strongly advise that you stay away from that category. The vibration is BAD.

I have gone twice on cabins in Cat. H which are towards the front with no problem.

For a crossing I'd pick a lower deck, forward cabin or upper deck midship and forget a guarantee. First of all, there is no advantage to a higher deck...only the risk of a more unsteady ride if you hit even moderately bad weather. Until you get to the top categories the suite is the same for all balcony cabins. Unless you are doing the full 15-day crossing, I'm not even sure the balcony really matters. I have opened the door for fresh air a few times, but it's generally too windy to sit outside. Even if you get a butler cabin, what are they going to do for you on a crossing? Second, on the recent crossing they evidently had a number of these rear cabins available for last minute purchase and the folks were unhappy about the vibration. The vibration problem is real and shouldn't be discounted. Some people, like me, have a high tolerate and aren't bothered. Others, are more sensitive and feel that it distracts from the experience.

I'm booked on the crossing in my favorite cabin, which is on deck 6. As it stands now, I start in Athens and have a cabin change somewhere along the line. Even booking a year ahead doesn't guarantee you get your first choice of cabins!

JoAnne

Houston

Just came off an 11 day Caribbean on Navigator and I have to attest to the vibration. We were deck 9, category F, toward the stern. Frankly, it didn't bother us that much and we slept like babies in their comfy bedding. But, now and then, it was a bit of a startle and we mentioned how no other ship we've been on had such a vibration issue. However, we also heard that from people who were mid ship as well. The balconies are quite small but even on a transAtlantic I would bundle up and enjoy them. Eastbound you want to be starboard to get more sun. There were a lot of good things about the ship and cruise and I shall write them up under another topic soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived