Dolphin Encounter in Dolphin Cove

IM Alaska bound

Hi IM,

I'm trying to figure out whether to do this excursion too. Nobody on this board seems to have done it. There are several posts asking questions about it with no replies. What's the deal?

I contacted a private tour guide to ask about booking a dolphin cove and dunn's river excursion, and she said dolphin cove is very hard to book. I asked why in an email and haven't got an answer back yet. I'll let you know when I do.

Here's the website that describes the different types of dolphin interaction there. It sounds like you really do interact with them, how much and how long depends on which type of encounter you sign up for.

http://www.dolphincovejamaica.com/

Let me know if you find out anything else.

Janice

Hi IM,

I'm trying to figure out whether to do this excursion too. Nobody on this board seems to have done it. There are several posts asking questions about it with no replies. What's the deal?

I contacted a private tour guide to ask about booking a dolphin cove and dunn's river excursion, and she said dolphin cove is very hard to book. I asked why in an email and haven't got an answer back yet. I'll let you know when I do.

Here's the website that describes the different types of dolphin interaction there. It sounds like you really do interact with them, how much and how long depends on which type of encounter you sign up for.

http://www.dolphincovejamaica.com/

Let me know if you find out anything else.

Janice

I also emailed them a week ago, and I still have not heard anything:eek:

We are going in March and I just talked with one of the private tour operators there tonight to try and arrange transport. I guess they have a lock in with the cruise lines and you have to call them directly. I am going to try tomorrow because our whole day will revolve around when I can book a tour at the dolphin swim. I want to know the prices! anyone have any idea how much each of the encounters costs? I have 1 or 2 who want to swim with the dolphins, but the rest of us will just watch.

We are going in March and I just talked with one of the private tour operators there tonight to try and arrange transport. I guess they have a lock in with the cruise lines and you have to call them directly. I am going to try tomorrow because our whole day will revolve around when I can book a tour at the dolphin swim. I want to know the prices! anyone have any idea how much each of the encounters costs? I have 1 or 2 who want to swim with the dolphins, but the rest of us will just watch.

:confused: I'm getting a little nervous about the reliability of this place. I've sent them 2 emails over the past week asking for prices with no reply. I too tried to book it through a private tour operator and she gave me their number and told me I'd have to book it myself because of some arrangement they have with the cruise lines. I don't know if they'll book it with us outside the cruise excursions.

I noticed if you try to make an online reservation through their website it asks you for the hotel/villa you are staying at. I'm thinking if you put in a cruiseline they'd tell you to book it through them. I didn't do this because it makes you put in all this info without even giving you any prices!!:eek:

I don't want to book it through the cruise because the one they offer is the one where you can swim with and touch the dolphins, but the one I want is where you actually get a ride with the dolphin either pushing you with his nose or pulling you with his dorsal fin. My kids would LOOOOVE this.

I wish there was someone else on this board who has actually done this to say how it was and clear up these mysteries!

Arlodog, please let us know what you find out if you call them, Thanks!!

Sorry I cant help you guys out. I have swam with the dolphins in Venezuela. I am going to be swimming with them again in Cozumel from what I hear the one is Coz is just fabulous. As far as Estimated prices go, Plan on paying at least $100per person probably a little more. I am actually looking at the the shore excursions list that Princess sent me and it says "Dunns River Falls & Dolphin Encounter" for $159 per person. I remember reading somewhere where this particular excursion was not very good, and the water the dolphins were in was in bad shape. I originally was going to do the excursion here with my kids, but after reading decided not to. We are doing the "Royal Swim" in Coz which is $139. You get pulled on the dorsel fin, and you have 2 dolphins come up underneath you and push you by your feet up in the air like at seaworld. You have alot more interaction with them than with the $99 snorkel/swim that they offer. Good luck!!

Ok this just came in my email from Dolphin Cove - I also called them and they WILL NOT book a reservation for you if they know you're on a cruise. I don't know if you could just tell them somewhere else you're staying or not.

ENTRANCE TO THE PARK

Entrance Now Includes:

Interacting with Stingrays, Glass Bottom Kayaking, Mini Boat Adventures,

Jungle Trail, Sharks Shows, Seeing the Dolphins at Play, Beaches, Games and

More....

Entrance to "Dolphin Cove at Treasure Reef"

Adults - US$45.00 per person

Ages 6-12 US$30.00 per person

Children under 6 are free with a paying adult

DOLPHIN PROGRAMS

"Swim With" Program - US$195.00 per person (includes entrance to the park)

"Encounter Swim" Program - US$129.00 per person (includes entrance to the

park)

"Touch" Program - US$67.00 per person (includes entrance to the park)

SHARK PROGRAM

Hold, Feed and Swim with the SHARKS US$ 119.00 per person

(Entrance to "Treasure Reef" is included in all Program rates)

Please visit our website at www.dolphincovejamaica.com for more information

on our dolphin programs as well as ages restrictions. The site will be

updated in the near future.. So look out for new happenings at "Dolphin Cove

at Treasure Reef"

If you are visiting Jamaica via cruise ship please contact the shore

excursion manager on board the cruise ship for reservations and rates as

they pre book our tours and times with transfer when in port.

For reservations please fill out our on-line reservations request form, with

all pertinent information and reservations will get back to you. You can

find the form on dolphin cove website - www.dolphincovejamaica.com. Please

note that Dolphin programs times are subject to change.

Ok this just came in my email from Dolphin Cove - I also called them and they WILL NOT book a reservation for you if they know you're on a cruise. I don't know if you could just tell them somewhere else you're staying or not.

ENTRANCE TO THE PARK

Entrance Now Includes:

Interacting with Stingrays, Glass Bottom Kayaking, Mini Boat Adventures,

Jungle Trail, Sharks Shows, Seeing the Dolphins at Play, Beaches, Games and

More....

Entrance to "Dolphin Cove at Treasure Reef"

Adults - US$45.00 per person

Ages 6-12 US$30.00 per person

Children under 6 are free with a paying adult

DOLPHIN PROGRAMS

"Swim With" Program - US$195.00 per person (includes entrance to the park)

"Encounter Swim" Program - US$129.00 per person (includes entrance to the

park)

"Touch" Program - US$67.00 per person (includes entrance to the park)

SHARK PROGRAM

Hold, Feed and Swim with the SHARKS US$ 119.00 per person

(Entrance to "Treasure Reef" is included in all Program rates)

Please visit our website at www.dolphincovejamaica.com for more information

on our dolphin programs as well as ages restrictions. The site will be

updated in the near future.. So look out for new happenings at "Dolphin Cove

at Treasure Reef"

If you are visiting Jamaica via cruise ship please contact the shore

excursion manager on board the cruise ship for reservations and rates as

they pre book our tours and times with transfer when in port.

For reservations please fill out our on-line reservations request form, with

all pertinent information and reservations will get back to you. You can

find the form on dolphin cove website - www.dolphincovejamaica.com. Please

note that Dolphin programs times are subject to change.

We're doing the Western on the Triumph in over 2 weeks:D . A friend of mine did a Western last year so gave me his DVD so I could show my children and get them geeked. Anyhow his daughters did the dolphin encounter in dolphin cove and from the DVD, there appeared to be one or possibly 2 dolphins fenced inside.

THe kids started on a platform then waded towards the middle where the guide intsructed each child while touching, kissing and hugging a dolphin.

This is all that I know.

BYZMAMA has the same info that I got when I called today. Originally I tried to book and they tried to put us into the 2:30pm time slot. I asked if we could go earlier in the day and they said they were booked. I told them that we couldn't go this late since we may not make it back to the ship and they explained that if we were on a cruise they wouldn't allow me to book at all, but if I booked through the cruiseline I could go earlier in the day. They must hold all of their openings for the ships passengers. We are going to forgo this excursion and do something else. From what I hear others say even if only one in your party wants to swim with the dolphins you can't watch them due to the way that the park is set up. I understand that they have a botanical garden too, but that is $45 to get into and when I talked with Marva Shaw tonight she said that we could go to a botanical garden for $5 entrance fee--we are booked with her!

Well, I'm just about ready to cancel our reservation for the dolphin swim in Ocho Rios. I haven't heard one person say anything at all about having actually done it! And I've heard a couple people say they KNOW someone who had done it and didn't like something about it. I can't belive someplace that is so booked people can't get reservations has nobody on the cruise critic boards to say if it's a reputable place or not. :eek: I, too, was looking for info on this excursion a month or so ago and got no replies. We leave in 22 days. Now I'm undecided about this one. HELP! :o

Ripleyroo

Ok, I've decided. I'm going to go through with it AND I'm going to post a big report on it when I'm done! At least there will be somebody here who has done it then. I'll know what to look for to tell if they are reputable. 15 days and counting!

Ripleyroo

Ok, I've decided. I'm going to go through with it AND I'm going to post a big report on it when I'm done! At least there will be somebody here who has done it then. I'll know what to look for to tell if they are reputable. 15 days and counting!

Ripleyroo

I hope you have a great time!! let us know how it is when you get back,

My kids want to do this sooo bad when we go in Oct.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm just saying forget it for us on the Dolphin place in Jamaica.

I booked a tour with Marva Shaw for Dunn's River Falls and the Horseback Swim thing.

Who is Marva Shaw....I also wanted to book this same excursion..could you email me at dmpebay@earthlink.net and let me know who you booked this through...thanks so much.

Denise

WHEN i booked my dolphin experience the guy told me if I did the the touch I was guaranteed an oppurtunity to touch, pet,kiss etc.the dolphins and if Id did the swim I would be luck if I got to touch the Dolphins cause you are justing swimming in the same area as they are. I am going in March and will know more then.

Ripleyroo

Ok, Ripleyroo.... I know that you are back, so please do tell about your Dolphin Cove experience. This is such a mystery. I know that Stingray City is far superior as an encounter, but I can't seem to talk my kids out of the dolphin thing. However, I may talk them out of it if you think it wasn't worth it.

So... I'm sure you are still unpacking and doing laundry...;-), but when you get a minute, give us the 411.

Thanks!!!

We swam with the dolphins a couple of years ago in OR. We did however book through the ship, not directly. Prices were about the same and we wanted to do the falls and have transportation.

This was my favorite port day, although I did not love OR, I had a great time.

We were put into a group of about 8 people and given a talk about what to do and not do (Do not wear jewlrey or sunscreen). We then got into the water with a trainer and 2 dolphins. The swim lasted about 30 or so minutes and was very good. You get a lot of interaction. When we were there they did not have the dolphin pull, but the web site says that they now do. They take your picture and you can buy it and a video at the end.

I could see the dolphin touch and experience in a different area of the lagoon. It seemed like those dolphins were in a separate pen from ours, but the trainers are very good at getting them to interact with the people.

There was a beach with some food stands, and I think a shark tank. We did not do that because we were off to the falls. It did not seem to be a great beach, and it was not very large.

We did do the nature walk and it was very interesting. They put snakes around your neck (EWWWW), as well as you get to see birds and burrows and other jamaican things. Well worth the 30 minutes or so and the cost is already included.

Archived