Dolphin Encounter in Dolphin Cove

IM Alaska bound

Darshan - thanks so much for your review. Given that I am not too thrilled about OR's reputation for high pressure peddlers, I think this excursion will be good for my family to do. I just hope that we can avoid the encounters while exiting Dunns River Falls that I have been reading about. In any event, I intend to completely school my girls on what to do if they are confronted or pressured in any way.

I didn't have too much problem exiting DR falls. We agreed beforehand to buy the video from our guide. He then instructed us how to get out without much problem and meet the man outside with the video.

I had no problem giving him a good tip for getting us out without too much hassle. There were a couple of other 'helpers' on the falls who also thought we should be as generous with them. As far as I could see they did nothing to help us. I gave them a few dollars, but not much.

And yes, we did do the Dolphin Cove dolphin swim. And it was pretty much as Darshan said it was. The facility is clean, not overly spacious, but not what I would consider too small for the dolphins. The people seemed knowledgable and friendly.

We were given the talk and fited with life vests first. Then split into a group of about 10 people for our swim with "Shuggy" the dolphin. The trainer stayed on the pier and we were all in the water with a man I will call the "guide". He did not tell the dolphin what to do - only the trainer on the pier did. The guide talked about the dolphins senses and other facts and told us where to go and how to line up and stuff. We were in the water a total of 25-30 minutes. No cameras allowed in the water. You can take pictures before your swim and after, but none in the water. This they have both a camera photographer and a video person doing privately for each group. Honestly, I was disappointed in the actual expereince. At no time did we have any "free time" to just be out there swimming and interacting with the dolphins. It was regimented "you all line up here and we'll have the dolphin swim by you and you can touch her as she does" sort of thing. Then each person got to get out of the group alone and pose with the dolphin of a picture of it "kissing" you - something the trainer is telling it to do and telling it when to stop.

I can't say if anyplace else does it any differently, and I know you don't really want people mobbed all over the dolphin, but I really felt this could be a little less "army-like" in it's format. I never felt a "connection" with the animal for even a second - the dolphins are too busy watching their trainer. The fact that people are in the water with them is only secondary to anything else as far as they dolphins were concerned, from what I could see.

As I said, the place seemed good enough. The dolphins looked healthy and well cared for. The people were friendly. Would I do it again? No. I've done it once, and I'm glad I did. Maybe I had unreal expectations. I was expecting something a little more like the stingray swim turned out to be - just swimming around and letting the animals come up to you. If that's what your looking for, you will be diasppointed. But if you want to know if the facility is reputable, I think it's an ok facility. As someone with extensive animal experience (20 + years in a vet clinic) and very concerned about the environment in general, I think this place is ok. Just my opinions. Any questions, ask away!

Ripleyroo

Ripleyroo - Thanks for the review. Did you book the excursion that included Dunn’s River Falls through the cruise line? If yes, how long were you at the falls? We want to swim with the dolphins but skip the falls - I haven’t heard good things from friends that took their kids. How was the beach at Dolphins Cove?

We did book this excursion through the ship. This was our first cruise and I wasn't brave enough to book independantly. We did exactly what you're describing. Our group was to go to Dolphin Cove first. The busses run every 15 minutes and whenever you decide your done at Dolphin Cove, you just hop on the next bus and it takes you to the falls. We took one look at how crowded it was at Dunn's River Falls and we didn't get off the bus. I knew it was going to the ship next and just told the driver that we were staying on and going back to the ship. No problem at all. Piece of cake, er, kelp! The beach at DC was small, but looked pretty nice. I would have swam there myself if DH wasn't in such a hurry to get back to the ship and gamble! Any other questions? Ask away :)

Your first cruise - did you fall in love with cruising??

The RCCL website has the tour starting at Dunn's River Falls. What time did you book your excursion for? I wonder if that makes a difference if you can go to one or the other first? Sorry about all the question about the falls but when I called RCCL I was told that we have to start at the falls and stay for about 1 ½ to 2 hours. No luck booking Dolphins Cove directly if your coming off a cruise ship. Thanks again!!

When we did it, we booked the first thing in the AM. I think it was like 10 AM. We went to the Dolphin Cove first. The buses were coming and going a lot. We took all the time we wanted there, and when we were ready we grabbed the next bus to the Falls.

I have to say that I think the falls get a bad rap. I really enjoyed them and am planning on doing them again this year with DH and DD (7 yrs). I know it will be a little overwhelming for her, but if we put her between us, I think she will be fine and have fun.

The water is so beautiful and cool and refreshing. There are a lot of people, but it moves fairly quickly and had some great photo ops.

Your first cruise - did you fall in love with cruising??

The RCCL website has the tour starting at Dunn's River Falls. What time did you book your excursion for? I wonder if that makes a difference if you can go to one or the other first? Sorry about all the question about the falls but when I called RCCL I was told that we have to start at the falls and stay for about 1 ½ to 2 hours. No luck booking Dolphins Cove directly if your coming off a cruise ship. Thanks again!!

Yes, I think I did fall in love with cruising. But I still love my vacations to the National Parks of the West!

Your right about not being able to book with Dolphin Cove directly. Just a fact, I guess. We did the earliest possible time spot available for DC, I think it was 10:00 AM. Even if they tell you you're group is going to the falls first, you don't HAVE to stay there. But you may not be able to get in to the water with the dolphins right away. But it's no problem killing time there. I found it to be very relaxing. And there is other stuff to see there - the jungle trail leads you to sharks and birds and reptiles and stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know what everyone is so worried about. This is great, although expensive. I signed up my two kids for the dolphin encounter throught Carnival and they loved it. It cost $150 per person, they got in the water with life jackets and about 10 other people and a trainer. The dolphin was with them the whole time. They got to touch and kiss the dolphin. The trainer also had the dolphin do tricks. I think he told them it was the dolphins birthday and everyone sang happy birthday while the dolphin "danced". There was probably two other groups of about 10 going at the same time with their own dolphin per group. The dolphin area is enclosed and I don't even think the dolphins can get out to the ocean. I also saw people doing the dolphin touch and they walk out on a private dock with the trainer and the dolphins swim right up to them. After we walked around and I think there was alligators there and iguanas. My kids got to hold the iguana. They have someone taking videos that you can purchase.

I've booked Dolphin swim and DRF thru Carnival. Did you leave your "extras" clothes, etc on a bus, locker or carry it? Going with DS of 10 so trying to decide what's required. Thanks

If everyone in your family is climbing, then the people at the falls insist that you get a locker. I would also highly recommend it because you would be leaving your stuff unattended for over an hour since you can't carry it while you climb. We were on an excursion booked thru Royal Caribbean and we did not take the same bus there as we did back so leaving stuff on the bus was not an option. I don't know if that is true for Carnival. My husband and son didn't climb so my daughter and I left our stuff with them.

We went straight from the falls to the dolphins in our swimsuits and water shoes. So if I was to do this excursion combo again, I would just start out in my swimsuit and forget the clothes!

Hope you have a great time!

Archived