Western Caribbean on Freedom OTS

pierces

WOW Dave! Excellent pictures, I really enjoyed your pictureshow. Compliments!!

I agree completely:) I have a question pierces, have you taken any courses on photography? Or did you learn the art of photography on your own by experimenting? Maybe you should teach a class if you don't already. Beautiful pics:)

I agree completely:) I have a question pierces, have you taken any courses on photography? Or did you learn the art of photography on your own by experimenting? Maybe you should teach a class if you don't already. Beautiful pics:)

Nothing formal. Just a 40 year obsession. I get asked that question enough that I wrote an article and put it on my regular site.

http://www.pptphoto.com/Welcome.htm

There's some other stuff there, so feel free to browse.

Dave

What camera and lens(es) do you use on a cruisevacations?

For to and from the ship, I pack a Pelican 1510 carry-on with my Maxxum 7D, flash, chargers, a 17-35 f2.8-4.0, 28-75 f2.8, 70-200f2.8, The Lensbaby 2.0 (damn! I forgot to use it!), a bunch of memory and my Epson P-2000 PhotoViewer for backing up the photos. In a small backpack, I carry a Domke photo vest, rain poncho, a rain cape for the camera, a travel tripod (a cool little Velbon that folds to 13" and extends to 60") and some filters. I also pack my Minolta A2 as a second camera. It has a great 28-200 equivalent lens and fills in as a tele when I'm shooting mostly wide and covers the wide if I'm shooting mostly tele. This cuts down on lens changes and the inevitable dust issues. This may seem like a lot at first glance, but the photography is a major part of cruising for me and, in my view, it's worth every pound.

On a tour I travel pretty light. I'll set up the SLR for what I intend to shoot and carry the A2, filters and rain stuff in the backpack. Maybe an extra lens. I use the photo vest mostly for shipboard wandering or in ports where a photo vest doesn't put a target on your back.

More than you wanted to know? :D

Dave

Well, thank you very much for this great answer.

The Minolta 7D is a very good cam, I had the 5D. At this moment I only shoot with the Sony F717. I'm looking and researching for a new cam and I'm not sure if it's gonna be a dSLR again or prosumer camera with mounted lens.

Do you have an idea how to shoot in rain? I'm using a transparant umbrella. I hope you have a better advice ;)

Thanks again!

Well, thank you very much for this great answer.

The Minolta 7D is a very good cam, I had the 5D. At this moment I only shoot with the Sony F717. I'm looking and researching for a new cam and I'm not sure if it's gonna be a dSLR again or prosumer camera with mounted lens.

Do you have an idea how to shoot in rain? I'm using a transparant umbrella. I hope you have a better advice ;)

Thanks again!

I'm in research mode myself. Since Minolta threw in the towell and sold their camera division to Sony, I'm stuck with a pair of cameras with no avenue for repair if something happens. The new Sony Alpha is a great camera, but wasn't enough of a step up from the 7D to make me jump. I'm waiting for Sony's rumored releases this year to make up my mind. I'd like to stick with the Minolta A-mount (which Sony did) because of my lenses, but if I was going to a DSLR right now, I'd have to look very seriously at Canon or maybe Nikon. As for prosumer cams, the Canon and Oly models are very well regarded and, while nearly as large as a DSLR, the Sony R1 gets a lot of positive chatter.

On the subject of rain...In Alaska I used a Tenba RC-14 rain cape for the Maxxum with the 70-200 attached while whale-watching. It worked great. Recently I ordered a new item by Omega-Satter called a ProBrella from B&H Photo. It mounts to the tripod socket (you can still mount your camera on a tripod) and extends an adjustable-angle umbrella over the camera. It comes in a smaller size for point and shoot cameras.

In a pinch, I've used a gallon Zip-Lock and gaffers tape!:D

Dave

Nothing formal. Just a 40 year obsession. I get asked that question enough that I wrote an article and put it on my regular site.

http://www.pptphoto.com/Welcome.htm

There's some other stuff there, so feel free to browse.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I will check out the article.:)

WOW!!!!!!

I've spent the better part of the last hour looking at all of your pictures. You have the art of taking simple things like a shelf of boots or a ceiling and making them talk and tell a story through your pictures.Your little quotes are perfect too.

You have truly inspired me to look at my picture taking in a new way.

Keep the pictures coming and maybe you should get the cruise line to have you give a class on picture taking in exchange for a cruise.

Thanks

Denise

Dave,

If these are on the normal excursion trails, would you share which?

My first cruise is supposed to be in September on another line to the GC, Montego, Cozamel.

Sure!

Cozumel: Tulum Express (patience is required to get shots without people!)

G.C. Butterfly Farm Express (though on a first visit, you may want to take the town tour that visits Hell, etc. - turtle farm is disappointing).

Montego Bay: Croyden Plantation Tour (if you have a choice, ask for Winston as a guide).

Enjoy your trip!

Dave

WOW!!!!!!

I've spent the better part of the last hour looking at all of your pictures. You have the art of taking simple things like a shelf of boots or a ceiling and making them talk and tell a story through your pictures.Your little quotes are perfect too.

You have truly inspired me to look at my picture taking in a new way.

Keep the pictures coming and maybe you should get the cruise line to have you give a class on picture taking in exchange for a cruise.

Thanks

Denise

Thank you for the kind words! your comment about looking at picture taking is the key. Photography is not about equipment or the physics of light, it's about seeing. If you learn to see rather than just looking, you will not only take better pictures, but you will enjoy the world around you so much more. It's my favorite part of the process, trying to see the picture when I look at something.

I have thought of giving classes on informal travel photography. I've spoken with people that have taken classes, and one of the biggest complaints is that the beginner classes are uninformative and the advanced ones are more for people that want to do it for a living. Maybe there's a market for people who just love to travel and bring back pretty memories...hmmmm.

Free cruise for giving classes....hmmmm. Wouldn't that be great leverage when approaching my Wonderful Wife about a new camera?

Now you've inspired me!

Dave

BTW, I have a regular site other than Pbase that I've put up as a hobby more than anything else. There are some info articles I've written and some photos that I like personally. Feel free to visit if you wish! http://www.pptphoto.com/

Gotta love these boards! Real stuff from real cruisers!

That's the beauty of this site!

Never been to [fill in the blank]? Just do a search or ask a question!

All you need to know about cruising!

Dave

Archived