NCL Star- San Pedro Pier question

WallyNDiane

We are on the Feb 10th sailing on the NCL Star. We are staying with friends Friday. They live in Hungington Beach and will drive us to the pier for the Saturday departure.

Can someone supply me with the San Perdo pier details (Pier # or address)?

I don't want to waste my friends time hunting for the correct pier. Thanks.

We are on the Feb 10th sailing on the NCL Star. We are staying with friends Friday. They live in Hungington Beach and will drive us to the pier for the Saturday departure.

Can someone supply me with the San Perdo pier details (Pier # or address)?

I don't want to waste my friends time hunting for the correct pier. Thanks.

If you come up the 405 freeway to the 110 freeway south, take the 110 to the exit for the Vincent Thomas Bridge; smaller signs will say Harbor Boulevard and the World Cruise Center (Terminal? I drive it everyday & can't remember:eek: ). Take that exit, get into the middle lane and drive across Harbor Boulevard - you will turn right and be at the security gate. The guard will tell you which pier to go to (and you'll be able to see your ship).

If you are coming on surface streets and are on the Vincent Thomas bridge, there's an exit for Harbor Boulevard. I've never taken it, but you will be able to see the ship as you come off the bridge and should be able to find your way into the port without much, if any, difficulty.

Happy sailing!

WallyNDianne:

Here is a link to the Port of Los Angeles website:

http://www.portoflosangeles.org/about_map.htm

There is a map there and driving directions. There will be three ships in port on the day we leave (yes, I'm on your cruise, too), so you'll definitely know you're headed in the right direction when you see them. And don't forget that our ship will have stars on its side. :D

Adele

Here is an overview of the San Pedro Pier (don't go to the Long Beach Pier - that belongs to Carnival) ...

SanPedro.jpg

Here is another view of the same pier ...

SanPedroaerial.jpg

Oh look, the Star is there now ...

Star1-4-2-06.jpg

Oh wait, the Star is leaving ...

Star2-4-2-06.jpg

Oh my God, I've got to get out of the way !!!

Star3-4-2-06.jpg

Sorry, I can't post any more pictures. When the Star ran me over, I lost my camera.

Cuizer2, how did you get those incredible photos of the Star? I'm adding one to my desktop right now (hope you don't mind if I borrow it)!

Adele

You can use any photo of mine you want. As to how did I get the photo, well, I've been asked that before, so I have another photo to help with the explanation (see below).

I live close enough to San Pedro that I can drive there in a reasonable amount of time (about one hour). So I did a little scouting and found the perfect place to set up my camera (perfect because I can sit and order food and drinks while waiting for the ships to start moving). I have an eight mega-pixel camera with an eight to one zoom. So, even though it looks like I am but a few feet from a moving ship, fact is I am safe on shore waiting for the ship to make a slight turn, since the channel it is in is curved. As the ship swings through its turn, I take the photo.

Since I didn't have an overhead shot of a ship, I used a photo of the Carnival Pride to act as a ship coming down the channel toward the breakwater and the Pacific Ocean. The arrow represents me aiming my camera. As you can see, the ship has to turn, with the bow moving from my left to my right. When the ship is pointed right at me, I take the shot.

This is more or less the set up for the head on shot ...

Starphoto.jpg

P.S. That is the Vincent Thomas Bridge (St. Thomas is an island in the Caribbean).

As proof that I (and the camera) survived this photo session, I offer the following photos taken after the ship went by ...

Star4-4-2-06.jpg

Star6-4-2-06.jpg

Star7-4-2-06.jpg

About one hour (and one hamburger and two drinks) later, the Vision of the Seas also headed out to sea. Here is a head on shot of the Vision OTS ...

VOS3-4-2-06.jpg

Wow, great photos. And for anyone who comes from up north (as we do when you go to the port), you get off the 11 at Harbor Blvd. and stay in the center lane (just like those coming from the south). Cross Harbor and there's the entrance right ahead. Drive through by the guard booth and you'll see a sign that lists all of the ships there that day and what pier #. You'll just drive up to that pier (it'll be easy if you know what your ship looks like), drop off your passengers and luggage, drive back down to the parking lot. You can either walk back to the ship or take the shuttle.

• 1 month later...
Cruizer2,

Amazing pictures. Got any shots of Monarch on Sail-away. Wondering where the best spot at the front of the ship is. thanks

The Monarch is only in town on Mondays and Fridays. Usually I am either working that day, or flying, which is why the Monarch shows up in my aerial photos.

However, you do have a good suggestion. Some Monday or Friday when I am not working I'll have to get a picture of the Monarch as it leaves San Pedro.

• 8 months later...

Archived