Suggestions needed for disabled second cruise for solo traveler out of Orlando

rajenki

Hi there, I'm new here but found this site just before my first cruise in October 2005.

I'm here seeking some suggestions. I have a pre-paid but not yet booked vacation stay in Orlando coming up sometime in 2007. Because I'll be nice and close to several cruise departure sites, I think I would like to try cruising again after my few days in Orlando.

A little background...I went on what was supposed to be a Western Caribbean cruise out of New Orleans but turned out to be a Mexico cruise out of Galveston thanks to Katrina and Wilma. I am a single disabled 32 y.o. woman who walks with a crutch (well, two on the cruise for various reasons). I went on this last trip with two other single women of similar age and had a horrible time. You really learn who your friends are after sharing a room for a week. We actually haven't spoken since the trip...it was THAT bad.

So anyway, I actually enjoy traveling alone and am looking forward to booking something but I'm not sure where to start. I'm looking for suggestions for cruise lines and destinations out of probably the Tampa area since that's not too much of a drive from Orlando. Money is of course an issue, so tips on how to save a little are welcome. I didn't do so great with excursions last time (walking is not my strong suit), but this time I do have a motorized wheelchair to help...but not sure about accessibility of the tourist towns (curb cuts for chairs, etc). I'm also not really sure about WHEN I should book the trip for. I was thinking November/December, but didn't know if that's considered "peak" cruise time and would up the price? Of course I'm concerned about hurricanes again as well...Wilma on our tail made for a dreadful night with a ship FULL of sea-sick people. Would love to avoid THAT.

I would appreciate any and all help that I can get from you...I know some people on these boards have VAST cruising experience.

Thanks!

Becki

Becki I sorry you did not enjoy your last cruise but I am not sure the cruiselines will allow you to cruise on your own.... It will depend on how servere your handicap is and if you could help your self to a certain extent in the case of an emergency...

I am not sure what is says in the US broschures but the fine print in Europe clearly states the fact that cruiseline reserves the right to make you have a travel companion or not let you cruise..... Do check out what the fine print before you are dissapointed - maybe talk to the cruiseline in person (not just the call center jockey - ask for a supervisor responsible for this dept.)

Don't rule out Port Canaveral. It is probably closer, and much easier to get to from Orlando. I've never been to Port of Tampa, but often travel to Tampa from Orlando. I-4 can be horrific sometimes. Port Canaveral (Carnival and Royal Caribbean) is a straight shot, with little congestion.

Becki I sorry you did not enjoy your last cruise but I am not sure the cruiselines will allow you to cruise on your own.... It will depend on how servere your handicap is and if you could help your self to a certain extent in the case of an emergency...

[\quote]

I'm not that severe. I can walk and am 100% independent, just have balance issues and fatigue relatively easily. The chair is for long distances, the crutch is for balance...two on the boat because of all the rocking.

[\quote]

I'm not that severe. I can walk and am 100% independent, just have balance issues and fatigue relatively easily. The chair is for long distances, the crutch is for balance...two on the boat because of all the rocking.

I agree Port canaveral may be a better choice though more limited. Also if you are not already aware there will be a large upcharge, like double the fare for solo travel, again depending on which cruiseline.

As for not being allowed to travel, if you are able to fly by yourself and function they cannot refuse you travel. Especially since the Supreme court ruling.

Try to avoid any itinerary where you would need to tender. and yes curb cuts and steps into shops etc. and any public transport may be a problem in many ports.

With the electric WC you will need to book an HC cabin. which means booking ASAP

Archived