Clothes for SA cruise ? Especially for shore excursions

jocelysue

What type of clothes should one pack for shore excursions on a cruise around South America? We keep reading that one should wear layers, but layers of what?

It is now summer in South America, but some of the shore excursions to see penguins, etc. require that one go in colder waters, etc. Would really appreciate info on which type and how many sweaters and cardis are suggested, whether jeans or safari type pants and pant suits are more appropriate for visiting, whether one should pack an overcoat, raincoat..... ? Which is the better footwear, sandals, loafers, running shoes?

Should one pack shorts or are they unnecessary ? In other words, advice will be most welcome.Have cruised previously, so have a general idea of what to wear on board but not of what to pack for shore excursions.

Since airlines are now ever so picky about weight requirements, would truly appreciate extensive info on this topic. For instance, should one not bother packing a jacket and purchase a leather one in Buenos Aires?

Are there any clothes that are better purchased during shore expeditions? If so what and where?

There are so many of you out there with great info. Please share it. Thanks.

Jocelysue

We just returned from a SA cruise that departed from Buenos Aires and went round the horn and ended in Valaparaiso, Chile. We each took one pair of shorts that we wore 2 times. It was warm and beautiful in BA and Montevideo - 80's. Once we started to head south the temps did too and we switched to jeans and polo shirts to jeans and turtle necks! as for outerwear, we had purchased North Face coats that each zipped into one another. So, we had polar fleece jackets that zipped either into a down coat or a waterproof heavy wind breaker type coat. We had rain almost everyday so you really need a waterproof jacket so you can enjoy the wild life. The days we spent viewing the penguins were extremely windy and the temps ranged from the mid 50's to the mid 40's. Hope this helped!

Thanks Meg. That is exactly the type of info I was looking for. Coming from Canada, we don't always have exactly the same barand of clothing as you, but the idea of lined jackets that zip in and off tells us what to bring. Also knowing you wore shorts only twice tells us that perhaps light chinos and jeans are the way to go so as not to pack too much.

Our problem is the following: we love formal nights and don't want to have to sacrifice that type of clothes.

Your answer helped a lot. Now off to purchase a down jacket.

Jocelysue

Hi jocelysue. We're doing the SA/Antarctica next January, but I'm already planning our clothes. I assume you're sailing on HAL since you asked on this forum. You'll be sailing to/from Rio so you might want to keep the shorts as Rio will probably be in the 90sF.

For outerwear, I'm looking at several brands, but the same type as Meg used. They are an outer wind/rain proof shell for a light jacket, a polar fleece zip-out liner suitable to wear on its own for when a warmer coat is needed, and when worn zipped together, they are fit down to -10/-15. You can see 2 brands on-line: Land's End 3-in-1 Extreme Squall Parka and the L.L. Bean 3-in-1 Systems.

We are also bringing our silk long underwear. They are great for travel as they take up NO room and are extremely light weight. Also work for when the A/C is turned up too high. They easily fit under our regular clothes.

Jocelysue,

We went to South America last January which included going south to Antarctica. In Rio it was extremely hot and we wore light clothes though did not go around in shorts, as you do not want to look like a tourist and stand out. This is a city where you have to be extremely careful.

We also went up to the Iguazu Falls and again it was very hot and humid. You could wear shorts up there if you wanted to.

Then we sailed to B.A. and Montevideo. B.A. is a very European city and again shorts would be out of place. We wore summer pants and capris and cool tops.

Montevideo was wet and cool the day we were there so wore pants and long sleeved top and a light rain jacket.

Our next two ports were cancelled due to the weather. We got nearly to the dock in Puerto Madryn and the weather was sunny and warm but apparently winds were forecast for later that day and as we had no tugs to take us out from the dock our Captain decided to cancel that visit.

The next port cancelled were the Falklands and that day was cold with huge winds.

If you are going down to Antarctica you will need the heavy jackets, gloves, scarf. We had wonderful weather down there, sunny with little wind so didn't need a lot under our jackets. In fact I had taken over pants which we didn't need at all.

Ushuaia was very similar in temperature to Montevideo except it wasn't raining so I wore jeans and a long sleeved top.

Punta Arenas wasn't too bad in the city centre but when we went to see the penguins, the wind was blasting and it was extremely cold especially around the face so you do need to take a windproof jacket, gloves and a scarf.,

Puerto Montt was glorious, sunny and warm and we were back into T. shirts and short sleeved tops. Apparently it was the best day they had had for weeks! We were just lucky.

Valpariso was warm as well. We also went on to Machu Picchu after our cruise so again we had clothes for cooler weather.

We took good walking shoes and loafers. We never take running shoes away as we do not want to stand out as tourists.

We managed to pack everything into one suitcase each and one smaller bag. We took clothes for four seasons and we used all of them. We were away for over 6 weeks as after Machu Picchu we went to the Galapagos Islands where we did wear shorts and skimpy tops as it was so hot.

Jennie

Don't know if HAL still does this, but the last time I took this cruise they provided a fairly sturdy waterproof poncho.

I brought mostly warm/hot-weather dresses, and slacks to be worn with a choice of t-tops, flat-knit sweater, sweatshirt. I also wore my heaviest coat (with hood) and gloves to my origination airport.

Any and all combinations of layering these worked for me.

Remember, in Antarctica you are always at sea---so you can stay on the leeward side of the ship on the blustery days (with brief forays over to the windward side). There are also some sheltered spots on that side of the ship.

Jocelysue,

I have just reread your post and you asked about buying a leather jacket. I would definitely take a waterproof/windproof jacket from home. Buy your leather by all means, but nothing beats the correct jacket for the cold and wind you may entail on your trip.

We didn't have enough time for shopping in B.A. so I bought a lovely jacket in Ushuaia where there are quite a few competitive leather shops. I also found a lovely shop there selling good quality women's wear and bought a great long sleeved shirt. B.A. has the best shops if you have the time to spend there.

Other than the purchase of the leather jacket and shirt, I did not see anything worth buying in the clothes department in any of the other ports. Remember they are many miles from anywhere and they really only sell the normal souvenirs of T.Shirts, penquins etc.

Jennie

Agree on the clothing the other posters have mentioned..Yes layers is best..

In addition I took long johns & used them under my jeans while at sea & while viewing the glaciers..Hats, Scarves & Gloves are a must..While on deck, even though we had many layers under waterproof jackets, we were wrapped in blankets (provided by HAL)..It was very windy but didn't want to miss a thing! ;)

As far a shoes, my DH wore boat shoes with heavy socks..In the Falklands the terrain was very rocky & uneven..I had short suede zip-up boots with heavy socks, which came in very handy when going out to see the penguins..Also wore the boots in a few other ports..

It was warm in RIO, BA, & Santiago, & we wore light weight slacks & tops..

Enjoy your cruise, it was one of our favorites..Would go again, but next time want to go down into the Antarctic.. :) Betty

Thanks for posting this thread!

DH and I are also cruising to S.A. from this land of ice and snow. We've been hoping someone would bring up this sensitive issue, the 'what-to-wear.'

But how do we pack the parkas? We can't walk into Rio wearing them!

lee-gold,

Our parkas, were folded up and sqashed into the very bottom of the case. We then put our shoes on top of them. If you cannot fit them in, then carry them on board the plane, store them in the overhead locker and carry them off. Even though it will be hot in Rio, you will not look out of place. Anyhow who cares, you are off on one of the most exciting cruises in the world.

Jennie

Did this itinerary Feb 2006 and was just reviewing the photos. What a great trip it was!

We were very luck with fantastic weather overall. My cruising partner had done similar itineraries on two different cruises with much different results than we had. Only about 50% of the cruises make it to the Falkland Islands and we did that as well as had extremely smooth sailing around the Horn. Just get up really early and grab a great seat in the Crow's Nest!!

Based on his previous experience and that of our cruise, I think you must be prepared for mild cold to extreme cold exacerbated by wind.

If you don't take enough warm head gear or sweaters, you can always buy some nice albaca scarves or other sweaters at very reasonable prices from vendors along the way.

And as for good, if you plan to have any lunches ashore, don't miss the king crab!!:D

Thanks for posting this thread!

DH and I are also cruising to S.A. from this land of ice and snow. We've been hoping someone would bring up this sensitive issue, the 'what-to-wear.'

But how do we pack the parkas? We can't walk into Rio wearing them!

We used the space saver bags for our parka's, sweaters, long johns etc....Purchased them on-line..Got the ones that you suck the air out with a vacuum hose...They seem to work better than the ones you sit on..When we re- packed them on board the Amsterdam, we borrowed our Stewards vacuum cleaner for about 10 minutes to suck the air out again..They worked very well..

Archived