Scandanavia/Russia Cruise - What Should We See?

We've booked this cruise for end of August on board the Jewel of the Seas. We'll stop at Oslo, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Stockholm, St. Petersburg and Tallin. Would love to have help from anyone in planning our excursions (both RCI-sponsored and independent). What did you like? What should we avoid? :)

We've booked this cruise for end of August on board the Jewel of the Seas. We'll stop at Oslo, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Stockholm, St. Petersburg and Tallin. Would love to have help from anyone in planning our excursions (both RCI-sponsored and independent). What did you like? What should we avoid? :)

try the northern europe/baltic board. Lots of good info that I used last year. I was on the Constellation. I spent almost a year reading on the region and planning things to do...it was fun

kurt

We did that trip on Jewel in 2005. I would highly recommend spending the money and taking the day trip to Moscow. Being able to stand in Red Square, given its history, was certainly an experience. But of course the ship could stay in Russia at least a week without you getting board.

Being Danish I will be happy to give you some suggestions.

What are your interests?

Baiscally I will suggest you purchase a half day bus trou of Copenhagen. This will give you a good impression of the sity and te sights. Then you can easily take the busses and subway around the city and sourrounding area.

"Tivoli", the amusement park, is a very nice park with good restaurants.

"Rosenborg Castle" with the Crown jewels.

"Liberation Museum" if you are interested in the Danes resistance furing WW2.

You may like a walk and drop into one of the many small restaurants along "Nyhavn" which is a trendy spot along the water to look and be seeen with a nice cool beer. Most likely you can walk from "Nyhavn" to your ship.

If you are into shopping, a short walk from "Nyhavn" are stores carrying Royal Copenhagen etc. If you shop there, have them ship the items to your home. You will not have to pay the 25% sales tax so that saving will cover the shipping.

You can also cary your purchases with you and save about 20%. I know where to clear such purchases through customs in the airport, and hope someone can explain how you do it when you are on a cruise.

What are your interests?

Baiscally I will suggest you purchase a half day bus trou of Copenhagen. This will give you a good impression of the sity and te sights. Then you can easily take the busses and subway around the city and sourrounding area.

You may like a walk and drop into one of the many small restaurants along "Nyhavn" which is a trendy spot along the water to look and be seeen with a nice cool beer. Most likely you can walk from "Nyhavn" to your ship.

If you are into shopping, a short walk from "Nyhavn" are stores carrying Royal Copenhagen etc. If you shop there, have them ship the items to your home. You will not have to pay the 25% sales tax so that saving will cover the shipping.

You can also cary your purchases with you and save about 20%. I know where to clear such purchases through customs in the airport, and hope someone can explain how you do it when you are on a cruise.

What are your interests?

What are your interests?

Rosenborg palace is worh a visit. Their is a lot to see in St.Petersburg in two days. Oslo see the viking musuem, fortress, walk around. Stockholm is very nice, the paplace, armoury etc. Helsinki was nice to walk around. this is a good trip to plan and do alot of things on your own.

Thanks, fellow CC'ers. "The Viking", my hubby is of Danish descent, and in fact hails from Danevang, TX - Danish capital of Texas. Copenhagen is the port we most look forward to visiting. I think we'd like to hit the highlights of the city and maybe experience first-hand some of the food that my mother-in-law has prepared for us over the years. Any suggestions on where to get a good Danish meal - maybe in Tivoli?

Archived