If you had a week in St. Lucia, what would you do?

vossjemi

Hey all! For my parents' 40th wedding anniversary, they have booked us (siblings/spouses...10 of us including parents) in a villa on St. Lucia. So, we will be there for a week. So, if you had a week there, what would you do? What is a do not miss activity? And what vendor do you recommend? Thanks!

Having been there only one day while the ship was in port, I think I would still start with a tour by Cosol to see the entire island and become familiar with what is there. I'd want to revisit the Pitons, maybe taking a sailboat to their base, for one day at least. And a little shopping. The tour will highlight things you may want to return to do on a more lengthy fime frame. Lucky you!!!

It is a beautiful island with friendly people.

Have a wonderful time!!

• 5 months later...

Thanks. I know my original post is a little old, but I still haven't really figured out what all we are going to do, and now that its under 5 months away, I thought we should start planning some more. I've been reading about Cosol's land tour, which sounds great. Does it do both the pitons and the drive in volcano?

Also, is there a good company to go with for a snorkel excursion? Do you get to see pitons from the boat?

And who do you recommend for deep sea fishing? These are probably our must do activities.

Anything that is a must do on the island? Thanks for your replies as we really start getting in gear our planning!

Yes, Cosol's tour goes to the volcano, and also to a beach which sits right in between the Pitons. It is beautiful, and also an excellent spot for snorkeling. I do believe that this tour gives you a great overview of the island for your money. Like GloriaF said in a previous response, the island tour is a good place to start, and then you can go from there.

We took Herod's tour - very similar itinerary to Cosol's and a great way to see a lot in one day, but there is a lot more to see.

http://www.geographia.com/st-lucia/index.html

This site has lots of good information - be sure to check out the links at the bottom of the home webpage.

One place I want to go, if/when we go back, is Mamiku Gardens.

http://www.mamiku.com/

Also check out the links here - http://www.mamiku.com/links.htm

I also would love to spend some time exploring in the rainforest. There are zip lines and an aerial tram.

Please come back here after you return and tell us all about what you did!

Well this is what John at serenity vacations has planned or us to do when we go back in 2008 for a land stay.

Day 1

Meet and greet at the airport (like family members returning home from the US with the usual St Lucia flare)

Stop at a local outpost for Bar B Q chicken and beer. If the ladies are tired and want to skip this, then they will taxi straight to the hotel – You are pre checked in so no lobby stop necessary.

Day 2

Island tour – This is an all day event.

Day 3

A full day at Bois Inde’, a virgin forest where only close family and friends go for hiking, relaxing and fun, it is also the site for our organic cinnamon. Local organic wines, beers Serenity rum punch. Fresh herb tea brewed the old fashion way (this is really a nice one). If all are too tired or filled with rum punch and wine, then sleep all afternoon in the quiet breeze of the eastern Atlantic. Fresh coconut water available for the bounty rum plus.

Day 4

Do whatever you want, go where ever you want (use our car if you want to)

Fish festival (Fish Bar B Q night)

Street party in the north

Home Bar B Q St Lucia style

Day 5

Pigeon Island hike and beach picnic at the historic Pigeon Island . We rest, chill, swim eat and drink all day with local music – we may even cook right on the beach.

Day 6

Half or full day deep sea fishing trip in the day and Fish Bar B Q in the night at our home with other family and friends. Caroline’s dad will be the fish chef.

Shelly and Jodi can choose to go shopping with Caroline (not at tourist prices for sure) if they do not want to do fishing.

Day 7

Sunset cruise aboard the Brig Unicorn or available catamaran.

We will add delate motify this list in time and change of desires. Other suggestions are: Martinique day trip, Helicopter rides, Full day cruises and just about whatever you want to do.

Hi vossjemi,

Firstly I think you and your family are going to love St. Lucia! I was there in earlier this year for a week and had a blast. I searched on the net and found some great things to do directly from the suppliers.

We were recommended by friends to call Hugo at Hugo tours; he has a new bus that he used to take us all over! He met us at the airport and was basically with us throughout the holiday, he became a friend after this vacation. He can put a combination of land activities together, such as an island tour including visiting the various attractions in Soufriere also take you to the rain forest etc. Just drop him a line telling him what you are interested in and he will organize. His web address is hugotoursslu.com .

We also found zip line adventures with Brian, he runs them from his families old estate and I would say don’t miss this tour. He also does jungle tours his web site is cyclestlucia.com . His staffs are all so friendly and really seem to enjoy their job (hey who wouldn’t)

If you are interested in a boat trip or sunset cruises then the famous Brig Unicorn from the Pirates of the Caribbean is a great choice look them up at seaspraycruises.com . I don’t know how the crew manages to get the sails up and down with such ease, watch the rum punch it sneaks up on you!

You also mentioned fishing, we found several companies on the net but after researching went with Hacshaws Boat Charters, they have been doing these tours in the family for many years and it shows. Chris put us on one of his custom built 50' boats (WAY to big for the two of us) it was only a year old and as expected was in fantastic shape along with the fishing equipment, looking around his yard all the other boats looked great to I think he also has another big boat but it was out at the time. We caught a big Wahoo and it was cleaned and prepped for us, nothing better than eating your freshly caught fish. He also can do a combination tour including some whale watching snorkeling sightseeing etc. Their address is hackshaws.com .

I think by speaking to these people and maybe trying to combine a few tours together not only will you get to see and do more things and have more time to just relax but you will also save some money. Good luck with your hunt and post some reviews upon your return.

We spent a week at La Toc (now Sandels Resort) many years ago.

The beaches there are wonderful and be sure and see the Pitons and Volcano. There were a lot of Olive trees down at the beach for shade.

The downtown area has changed a lot since we were there in the 1970s, but it's a beautiful island.

a lot of things have been mentioned already, so u may see repeats(sorry:) )

* rainforest canopy

*zip line adventure (at treetop adventure park where you can hike down to a waterfall also)

*Soufriere is a great place where you can spend many days. hopefully thats where your villa is!

waterfalls(most you have to hike to)

diamond botanical gardens where you also see the diamond falls and bathe in the mineral baths!

Sulphur Springs(drive-in volcano)

warm water piton springs...very nice.

snorkel @ Anse Chastanet and @ Jalousie Hilton

climb Gros Piton (bring lunch up to the top!)

*pigeon island....spend a day there! walk up to the fort then chill @ the beach

*day catamaran tours are devoom! lying on the net in the sun...endless fruit punch...sumptious lunch....cool water swim afterwards..trust me, life doesnt get any better

*spend a day in marigot bay

*cant think of more right now but trust me there ALOT! oh...and check out our new caribbeancinema:D iits the bomb!

I think it also depends on what you like to do? DH and I spent a week in St. Lucia last year but since we stayed at TiKaye (resort) they took care of everything for us.

Things I would recommend - definitely a fish fry - we did the one in Anse La Raye since it was only a few minutes away - it was fantastic!

If you like hiking - one of the trails in the rainforest. If you are driving yourself just keep in mind that although it may not look like a road it probably is :) Also, depending on the trail you need good stamina and endurance but it is absolutely gorgeous!

The Pitons - worth checking out if not hiking them and spending time in Soufriere.

Snorkeling! The snorkeling in St. Lucia is absolutely wonderful!

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry, I didn't check this message until just now. The fish frye is on a Friday evening....or every Friday evening throughout the year. It is a fun time with the locals setting up tables and chairs in the middle of the road! Check out all the different folks frying - the fish is all different depending on what they caught that day. Also - the chicken is great too!

Ok. My DH & I really want to go to the fish festival. My sister and her hubby want to go to gros islet street party. Is there much difference between the two? Which is better? Is doing both viable on the same night? Or not recommended? If you only had 1 Friday night, which would you do?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived