Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Thanks, Marion, thanks, Donald. I'm quite excited about having that particular condo - it's quiet in HI right now and, with my 30+ years at that condo hotel, I guess my number came up in the "best view" category.

The condo is 8 floors and, on that floor, the ocean breezes swoop thru the lanai doors and keep the place cool. It is not air-conditioned but, in that area, who needs it? I've never wanted to be locked in an a/c room in the 5-star hotels of Ka'anapali - give me the lullaby of the ocean and the sea breezes.

Digression - I thought balcony cabins on ships provided a similar experience and now I learn that leaving balcony doors open is a no-no because it messes up the HVAC on each floor. [heavy sigh]

Behind the camera of that photo is a fully-equipped kitchen with new appliances, sinks, granite countertops. I will amuse you with my confession that I am taking salt, pepper, and olive oil with me. I'm too cheap to pay island, imported prices for silly things like that. The sealed bottle of olive oil is swaddled in bubble wrap and in a ziploc bag - I hope that strategy works. I wonder if I can jam a roll of paper towels in my bag? Hmmmmm.

Ruby

Bon Voyage for your cruise to Alaska, Donald.

Thanks, Marion and Berry. I have to put up with Vancouver's weather for another couple of weeks before heading to Los Angeles for the cruise. I will be gone by the time Ruby returns from Hawaii.

Donald.

Behind the camera of that photo is a fully-equipped kitchen with new appliances, sinks, granite countertops. I will amuse you with my confession that I am taking salt, pepper, and olive oil with me. I'm too cheap to pay island, imported prices for silly things like that. The sealed bottle of olive oil is swaddled in bubble wrap and in a ziploc bag - I hope that strategy works. I wonder if I can jam a roll of paper towels in my bag? Hmmmmm.

Ruby

Sounds like a good idea to me. Would your bottle of olive oil fit in the middle of your roll of paper towels?

I usually throw in a roll of cling wrap to keep food fresh in the refrigerator, as units never seem to have enough sealed containers. Also a sharp knife and a thin breadboard! All in the suitcase, of course.

Thanks, Marion and Berry. I have to put up with Vancouver's weather for another couple of weeks before heading to Los Angeles for the cruise. I will be gone by the time Ruby returns from Hawaii.

Donald.

Have you flown into LAX for a cruise before, Donald? Do you have transfer to the cruise included?

Have you flown into LAX for a cruise before, Donald? Do you have transfer to the cruise included?

I've flown to Los Angeles for cruises twice before. The first time, I stayed overnight at a hotel near the dock, and the second time, I stayed with friends for a few days before the three of us went on a cruise.

This time I am flying to LAX on the day of the cruise, because I do not anticipate weather conditions that might delay my flight. Upon arrival at 11:45 a.m. I will be met by a cruise representative who will put me on a special bus straight to the dock. This transfer cost $30, which is considerably cheaper than a $75 taxi ride.

Donald.

I've flown to Los Angeles for cruises twice before. The first time, I stayed overnight at a hotel near the dock, and the second time, I stayed with friends for a few days before the three of us went on a cruise.

This time I am flying to LAX on the day of the cruise, because I do not anticipate weather conditions that might delay my flight. Upon arrival at 11:45 a.m. I will be met by a cruise representative who will put me on a special bus straight to the dock. This transfer cost $30, which is considerably cheaper than a $75 taxi ride.

Donald.

To be met by a cruise representative at chaotic LAX and transferred directly to the dock for $30 will be worth every cent!

To be met by a cruise representative at chaotic LAX and transferred directly to the dock for $30 will be worth every cent!

Yes, I 100% agree! :)

Ruby, are you on a non-stop flight from Dallas to Hawaii, or must you transfer to another plane in LAX or somewhere else?

Donald.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Would your bottle of olive oil fit in the middle of your roll of paper towels?

You have me laughing! I hadn't thought about the thin breadboard! But I'll just limp along as the condo is beautifully equipped - except for paper towels and some dishwashing liquid. Dishwasher soap, yes. Dishwashing liquid - nope.

Donald - I am a devotee of the nonstop. The only direct flight I've taken from Dallas was to Chicago to Istanbul because you can't beat the prices for country-supported airlines. As you can imagine, I'm in heaven at the idea of stepping off the plane at Kahului and going directly to my condo, then stepping off the plane at DFW and cabbing to my home a few miles away. No currency exchange, no bureaucratic hoops to jump, no language misunderstandings - ahhhh.

Because current coach-class (economy) pax on planes are lower than amoeba, we are "allowed" to purchase some ghastly, over-priced pre-fab sandwich. I will decline to participate, so I'll be taking some wonderful food from home onboard. No matter what happens, I'll be well-fed on that 8-hr. flight!

Ruby

That's good that you can fly directly in Maui, without having to go to Honolulu and change planes, the way we had to do for so many years.

Kahului airport certainly has improved since the 50s and 60s.

You have me laughing! I hadn't thought about the thin breadboard! But I'll just limp along as the condo is beautifully equipped - except for paper towels and some dishwashing liquid. Dishwasher soap, yes. Dishwashing liquid - nope.

Donald - I am a devotee of the nonstop. The only direct flight I've taken from Dallas was to Chicago to Istanbul because you can't beat the prices for country-supported airlines. As you can imagine, I'm in heaven at the idea of stepping off the plane at Kahului and going directly to my condo, then stepping off the plane at DFW and cabbing to my home a few miles away. No currency exchange, no bureaucratic hoops to jump, no language misunderstandings - ahhhh.

Because current coach-class (economy) pax on planes are lower than amoeba, we are "allowed" to purchase some ghastly, over-priced pre-fab sandwich. I will decline to participate, so I'll be taking some wonderful food from home onboard. No matter what happens, I'll be well-fed on that 8-hr. flight!

Ruby

Your direct flight sounds like heaven, Ruby.

Flying used to be such a wonderful treat, but unfortunately, no more.

I was delighted when I originally discovered that you could fly directly from Hawaii to Alaska and from Hawaii to US mainland, other than via LAX.

Hawaii to Alaska turned out to be holiday charter flights at the time. :(

However, one day I'll fly direct from Hawaii to the mainland, avoiding LAX.

Like you, I take my own delicious food on our airline, which doesn't provide food. As I usually include a mandarin, which is easy to peal and eat, I love catching the look of envy from fellow passengers, when they smell the mandarin. Enjoy your wonderful food from home, as well as the delicious Hawaiian fruit.

BTW Hawaiian Airlines here are currently advertising airfares, which include 2x32k baggage entitlements, plus $5 for extra island. Tried to temp my husband, as we are overdue for a visit. :)

hi all planning to go on the above ship next march. she looks a lovely classic ship and looking forward to a good cruise hong kong to japan returning to hong kong. my lucky aussie friends are dioing the next cruise as well to vietnam and singapore. she is owbned by classic intl cruises. i went on the fated cruise on FUNCHAL in 2005 that got stuck in SAFAGA for 15 days. sadly cic have no office in the uk and TRAVELSPHERE who do bookings are not the easiest to deakl with and they are a direct company so cannot book thru an agent over here. so trying to book using an aussie agent. it sounds a lovely cruise.

dave

hi all planning to go on the above ship next march. she looks a lovely classic ship and looking forward to a good cruise hong kong to japan returning to hong kong. my lucky aussie friends are dioing the next cruise as well to vietnam and singapore. she is owbned by classic intl cruises. i went on the fated cruise on FUNCHAL in 2005 that got stuck in SAFAGA for 15 days. sadly cic have no office in the uk and TRAVELSPHERE who do bookings are not the easiest to deakl with and they are a direct company so cannot book thru an agent over here. so trying to book using an aussie agent. it sounds a lovely cruise.

dave

Princess Daphne? I looked her up on Internet. She has classic ocean liner lines, was built in 1955 and has a maximum passenger capacity of 670. This seems to be just what a leisurely cruise is all about - interaction with a few but not a multitude of like-minded passengers, relaxation, no bells and whistles and the genteel atmosphere of an experienced cruise ship. Exactly my idea of a cruise. Go for it, Dave!

Donald.

Like you, I take my own delicious food on our airline, which doesn't provide food. As I usually include a mandarin, which is easy to peal and eat, I love catching the look of envy from fellow passengers, when they smell the mandarin. Enjoy your wonderful food from home, as well as the delicious Hawaiian fruit.

Mandarin? Delicious! In Canada, mandarin oranges are the "in" thing around Christmas time, with stores stocking boxes of these. It is a delicacy for us in the Wintry North at that time of year. Unfortunately people aren't allowed to bring fruit from Canada to the USA (and I think vice versa).

Donald.

Mandarin? Delicious! In Canada, mandarin oranges are the "in" thing around Christmas time, with stores stocking boxes of these. It is a delicacy for us in the Wintry North at that time of year. Unfortunately people aren't allowed to bring fruit from Canada to the USA (and I think vice versa).

Donald.

We can't take fruit interstate here either. I just make sure I eat it before arrival.

BTW From memory, I have done that from Canada to USA also, polishing off last minute leftovers, knowing I'll soon be in LAX for hours waiting for international flight connections. :)

The days when we could enjoy airline lounges are just a wonderful memory.

yes a lovely looking ship i am going to dover tomorrow to see her close up not a ship visit thoiugh. just see,ms to be difficult booking her in this country. still waitingb to hear from travelspere if i can do it cruise only. their single supplement seems tio be dsifferent,shame yoiu cannot book it thru an agent. so trying someoneelses whioch sounds a better idea. should hear something tomorrow.

dave

Have a good trip and time on Maui, Ruby. That is a great island. At one point, I considered retiring there, in the little village of Olinda, on the slopes of Haleakala.

I got lost driving upcountry to Kula to see the lavender farm. As I was wending my way up the tiny country roads on Haleakala, thinking I was going the wrong way, I spotted a guy with a butterfly net in the farmer's fields close to the road. After stopping to ask if I were anywhere near Kula, the guy grinned, saying that eventually I would get there after driving the circumference of that huge volcano, or I could go two miles back to the stop light at the high school, turn left, and get to Kula.

As I was unwinding my previous path, I was stunned to see a sign for "Olinda" and Makawao. I had never heard of Olinda until you mentioned it. So I am reporting in, sah!, that that particular region of the volcano is still very quiet, very laid back, very agricultural. I haven't a clue where you would "run to the store" for milk in Olinda, but it is certainly a beautiful spot in the world and seems unchanged for decades.

In Maui, the locals are worried about the lack of rain. Their rainy season is November to April and they got very little rain; now starts their dry season and the fire danger is high. When you drive out of the tourist areas and golf courses that are constantly watered, the desiccated trees and native grasses are now perfect tinder for a spark to flare.

Ships cat - are you back from Artemis? How was your eastern Med cruise?

Ruby

Well, when I was thinking of Olinda as a retirement spot, I had not considered the logistics of food shopping, etc. It was just a thought.

Later, I found a spot in New Zealand (Russell, in Bay of Islands area, North Island) that I really liked. If only we could have taken our health insurance with us (we couldn't), and the New Zealand government would not consider putting us under their health plan.

Dreams are fun, even if not practical.

Hi, Ruby! Welcome back from Maui ... and good-bye, as I am leaving at 5:30 a.m. tomorrow for Los Angeles and my Mercury.

A couple of weeks ago I watched TV's Biggest Loser and it was held that time in Dallas. The contestants shivered outdoors in 32F (0C) weather. I didn't know that temperatures go that low in Dallas, or was that an aberration?

Donald.

Hi, Ruby! Welcome back from Maui ... and good-bye, as I am leaving at 5:30 a.m. tomorrow for Los Angeles and my Mercury.

A couple of weeks ago I watched TV's Biggest Loser and it was held that time in Dallas. The contestants shivered outdoors in 32F (0C) weather. I didn't know that temperatures go that low in Dallas, or was that an aberration?

Donald.

First of all, Bon Voyage and enjoy Mercury. My daughter the doctor and I were discussing that weight-loss TV show and musing about how long between tapings they take to do surgery on all that loose flesh. Working out and watching your diet is not going to reduce the pound(s) of flesh that result from severe, sudden weight loss. As I have often said, reality shows are not real. And my daughter says the severe changes in a person's body size and blood chemistry can be negatively impactful on one's health.

Secondly, the temps in North Texas this past winter were horrendous with lows in the teens and 3 snowfalls, one record setter of 12". For y'all in Canada, that's same ole, same ole, but here it was historical.

Enjoy your cruise!

Ruby

Secondly, the temps in North Texas this past winter were horrendous with lows in the teens and 3 snowfalls, one record setter of 12". For y'all in Canada, that's same ole, same ole, but here it was historical.

Enjoy your cruise!

Ruby

Reminds me of the time my girlfriend, our younger daughter and myself arrived in Dallas and hired a car. As we were driving along the highway (on the wrong side of the road), we wondered what the "white stuff" was on the windscreen. Yes, it was snow! Took us a while to recognise it, as we don't have snow in the tropics and we didn't think snow fell so far south.

Later on that trip, I had trouble convincing them to take all the fruit out of the car, as it would freeze. Next morning the car had long icicles on it!

As you say, Ruby, we were prepared for that kind of weather in Canada, but not Dallas, Louisiana, etc.

When you return from your latest cruise on your Mercury, Donald, you might want to consider a relocation cruise down under on Radiance of the Seas, departing Vancouver on 17th September, 2011, departing Honolulu 29th September, to Sydney.