Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Marion - can you and Barry literally see the ash clouds in the air that are wreaking havoc with flight schedules in Oz and NZ? I read somewhere that 70,000 airline and cruise passengers have been deeply discommoded by the Chilean ash cloud.

What terrible kismet to have an ash cloud from across the Pacific causing such difficulties with flight schedules. In an even more confusing moment, it is my understanding that QANTAS refuses to fly while other major airlines, like Air New Zealand, are still operating.

Colour me confused.

Ruby

Marion - can you and Barry literally see the ash clouds in the air that are wreaking havoc with flight schedules in Oz and NZ? I read somewhere that 70,000 airline and cruise passengers have been deeply discommoded by the Chilean ash cloud.

What terrible kismet to have an ash cloud from across the Pacific causing such difficulties with flight schedules. In an even more confusing moment, it is my understanding that QANTAS refuses to fly while other major airlines, like Air New Zealand, are still operating.

Colour me confused.

Ruby

I don't believe anyone can see the ash clouds in the air here, Ruby. However, as you said, the clouds, which are on their second time around the world, are creating havoc, to local and international passengers, following the cancellation of flights.

The following is an interesting viewpoint -

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/06/15/3244688.htm

I believe flights will resume later today.

This morning I walked 25 minutes to the federal government building to pick up David's new passport. Many shops on Granville Street still had wood panels affixed to where doors and windows used to be.

Some of the young riot participants have been outed by online photographs and they have publicly apologized. They said that they simply got swept up in the mob mentality. A 17-year-old promising junior Olympic polo star was tossed out of the team by his coach. Their lives will be forever ruined by a few moments of madness.

Near the federal government building, I saw one of the Disney ships at Canada Place. A most gorgeous cruise ship with the lines of an ocean liner!

Donald.

http://www.nrk.no/hurtigruten/?lang=en

I warn you it is addictive. But you can listen/watch at your leisure. This was my favourite cruise (apart from my world cruises) and I want to go back again already.

You may be amused to learn that, last night, BBC World Service had a reporter who was enthralled with his discovery of the live feed. He interviewed an official with Hurtigruten with great enthusiasm about the beauty of Norway's west coast and the live cam that let everyone share the view.

It goes to show that BBC World Service is far behind Marion on travel news!

Ruby

You may be amused to learn that, last night, BBC World Service had a reporter who was enthralled with his discovery of the live feed. He interviewed an official with Hurtigruten with great enthusiasm about the beauty of Norway's west coast and the live cam that let everyone share the view.

It goes to show that BBC World Service is far behind Marion on travel news!

Ruby

:) Not much gets past the BBC World Service, Ruby.

Did you hear that Sydney has been voted 2nd in the 2011 Travelers' Choice Awards?

Trip Advisor.

(Cape Town was first.)

Did you hear that Sydney has been voted 2nd in the 2011 Travelers' Choice Awards?

(Cape Town was first.)

No surprise, as both Cape Town and Sydney are in spectacular locations. Rio de Janeiro, San Francisco and Vancouver are also usually on these lists.

Donald.

:) Not much gets past the BBC World Service, Ruby. Did you hear that Sydney has been voted 2nd in the 2011 Travelers' Choice Awards? Trip Advisor. (Cape Town was first.)

Actually, I think BBC World Service is reading our thread and getting The Good Stuff from our notes! Regarding Sydney - I so much enjoyed the vista that was the sweep up to Benelong Point and the Opera House. Then the developers put up those ghastly condos snuggled up to the waterfront and in front of the Opera House. Ruined the view for me. Have you been to Cape Town? Am I missing something?

No surprise, as both Cape Town and Sydney are in spectacular locations. Rio de Janeiro, San Francisco and Vancouver are also usually on these lists. Donald.

These are all beautiful cities in a geographic sense then add in the local cultures and there you have it. On the other hand, when I returned from Alaska in the month of August, I was looking out the airplane window as we landed at DFW Airport. The flat land, the dried-out native grasses, the total lack of geographic interest all combined to make me want to stay on the plane and go back to Alaska. For those of you who live in "pretty," colour me envious.

Ruby

Regarding Sydney - I so much enjoyed the vista that was the sweep up to Benelong Point and the Opera House. Then the developers put up those ghastly condos snuggled up to the waterfront and in front of the Opera House. Ruined the view for me. Have you been to Cape Town? Am I missing something?

These are all beautiful cities in a geographic sense then add in the local cultures and there you have it. On the other hand, when I returned from Alaska in the month of August, I was looking out the airplane window as we landed at DFW Airport. The flat land, the dried-out native grasses, the total lack of geographic interest all combined to make me want to stay on the plane and go back to Alaska. For those of you who live in "pretty," colour me envious.

Ruby

I think it may be an Australian thing, Ruby. We wouldn't say we came second, without giving recognition to the city that came first.

But yes, I have been to Cape Town, which looks spectacular arriving by ship.

Saw this later in the Sydney Morning Herald -

"Sydney has been named the world's second best destination by the world's biggest travel website, TripAdvisor.

Australia's largest city came in at No.2 on TripAdvisor's annual Travellers' Choice Destination awards, behind Cape Town in South Africa.

Award winners were determined based on a combination of travelers' favorite places and overall destination popularity. TripAdvisor said more than one million travellers contributed to the awards."

I love exploring Sydney's beautiful harbour and beaches. The Blue Mountains, its hinterland, is not bad either.

Ruined the view for me also, Ruby. I blame the government and local councils for allowing construction of that monstrosity at Circular Quay (known locally as "the toaster").

We are certainly blessed with "pretty" along the Coast, in Australia, Ruby. I just can't imagine living "in the middle of a country", although country people would disagree, as the bush has its own beauty.

No surprise, as both Cape Town and Sydney are in spectacular locations. Rio de Janeiro, San Francisco and Vancouver are also usually on these lists.

Donald.

Donald - Rio de Janeiro came in as No.5, but the other two weren't in the top 10 this year, even though they are two of my favourite cities to visit.

Edited by MMDown Under

But yes, I have been to Cape Town, which looks spectacular arriving by ship.

So you sail into Cape Town, enjoy the spectacular view, then what? What itinerary did you and Barry follow?

We are certainly blessed with "pretty" along the Coast, in Australia, Ruby. I just can't imagine living "in the middle of a country", although country people would disagree, as the bush has its own beauty.

I take your point about bush life in Oz but after living in sere north Texas, I'll take "pretty" every time. I've never ventured into bush country in Oz other than the town of hot, dry Cooimba in Top End where we launched our flightseeing tour of Kakadu.

For me, Oz is a beautiful coastal country, from Tassie to Cairns.

Ruby

So you sail into Cape Town, enjoy the spectacular view, then what? What itinerary did you and Barry follow?

I take your point about bush life in Oz but after living in sere north Texas, I'll take "pretty" every time. I've never ventured into bush country in Oz other than the town of hot, dry Cooimba in Top End where we launched our flightseeing tour of Kakadu.

For me, Oz is a beautiful coastal country, from Tassie to Cairns.

Ruby

I recall that I did a tour of Cape Town, then a drive to where the two oceans met. Then I got back on my ship, Ruby. I was travelling home from the UK, via South Africa, because the Suez was closed. Some did an overland trip to Durban, but I stayed on the ship, as I was having too much fun on the ship. I loved Durban, which is very much like Queensland.

My husband is from the bush where they enjoyed swimming in creeks, with sandy beaches.

You must be looking forward to your next cruise adventure in September.

Edited by MMDown Under

Guess you've heard the following report -

"Report in just minutes ago reveals that Orion II, just delivered to Sarina Bratton’s Orion Expedition Cruises and on its inaugural journey, was just a few miles from a giant 7.3 magnitude earthquake in the Aleutian Islands.

Orion II had just left Chagulak and was en route to Adak when the quake struck.

“WOW Just had a 7.3 earthquake and currently on Tsunami Alert. We were 26miles from the centre steaming on the ship and the ship started to shudder lots. We thought we may have hit something or caught something on the prop. Checks of the ship revealed nothing and then we were sent Tsunami Warnings. 7.3 isnt small and we were probably the only people that close to the centre. WOW” said Adrian Boyle, one of the expedition leaders in an excited note to Orion’s Sydney office.

Captain Mike Taylor quickly followed with a more sobre assessement:

“Orion II sailed from Chagulak at 1730, bound for Adak. At 1910 we were notified that an earthquake with a nominal strength of 7.3 had happened. Checks of tanks and voids showed no signs of leakage and all systems are working normally. Orion II is continuing the voyage to Adak and all passengers have been advised of the earthquake that occurred.”

The vessel is certainly living up to its reputation as an adventure vessel after a minor grounding in Antarctica and a dramatic YouTube video showing the vessel ploughing through mountainous seas in the Drake Passage."

Expedition Cruising.

Edited by MMDown Under

Heading down the Inside Passage on our return from Alaska, Century passed Orion II heading up there. A most magnificent yacht-like vessel! I enjoyed the view as she passed by.

Donald.

Must have been lovely to see her, Donald. Were you quite close?

You must be looking forward to your next cruise adventure in September.

I am, indeed, looking forward to my first voyages on Silversea although at this point, I'm silently starting to think of it as my Disaster Cruise. As booked 14 months ago, the itinerary was "Vancouver to Tokyo" and we know how that all changed, then in May the Russian port authorities in Petropavlosk were holding up the ship and demanding overt bribes, now the Beeb tells me about the very dangerous 7.3 deep-sea earthquake and possible tsunami in Alaska which did not happen. Whew! Fortunately, being on a ship during a tsunami is the safest place to be.

It is my understanding that the one-week Alaskan itinerary is sold out, but nobody is whispering about the booked-passenger level from Seward to Seoul. On the May repo from Seoul to Anchorage, there were a total of 94 pax. I'm keen to find out what the head count will be when we leave Seward.

I am also looking forward to meeting Kapricorn in Vancouver. After all these years of sharing notes on CCritic, it will nice to put a face with a name.

Heading down the Inside Passage on our return from Alaska, Century passed Orion II heading up there. A most magnificent yacht-like vessel! I enjoyed the view as she passed by. Donald.

I looked up Orion II in images and she is a beautiful sight. I'm a bit confused that an Australian proprietary would send their newly acquired ship (yacht?) to Alaska then return to antipodal cruises. Is she making the global rounds as a ship under new management then returns to Oz?

Ruby

It is my understanding that the one-week Alaskan itinerary is sold out, but nobody is whispering about the booked-passenger level from Seward to Seoul. On the May repo from Seoul to Anchorage, there were a total of 94 pax. I'm keen to find out what the head count will be when we leave Seward.

[/size]

I looked up Orion II in images and she is a beautiful sight. I'm a bit confused that an Australian proprietary would send their newly acquired ship (yacht?) to Alaska then return to antipodal cruises. Is she making the global rounds as a ship under new management then returns to Oz?

Ruby

"Sarina Bratton signs for Orion II

Sarina Bratton recently signed for the 100 guest all suite luxury expedition cruise ship Orion II. Orion II has now commenced her inaugural voyage from Vancouver.

Since our launch in 2004, Orion Expedition Cruises has become the leading expedition cruise operator in Asia Pacific. The introduction of Orion II in June 2011 doubles our capacity and doubles our opportunity to introduce our guests to new, and in many cases unique experiences in amazing destinations. All the while enjoying the comfort and safety of our 100 guest ships and five star onboard service. We venture into locations where larger ships can not access, nor could they bring their guests ashore.

Our destinations include the Russian Far East; the culturally rich Inland Sea of Japan; the energetic and charismatic Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia; the incredibly rich diversity of Borneo; New Zealand and sub-Antarctic islands that so few can visit; Papua New Guinea's ancient and primitive cultures; the grand frontier of Australia's Kimberley region and the Antarctic Continent."

http://www.orionexpeditions.com

Looks like you might enjoy the luxury of having lots of room on your ship, once you leave Seward.

When I went on my cabin balcony in the Inside Passage, I noticed Orion II in the distance approaching us. At first I thought that she might be a millionaire's yacht, but as she neared I noticed that she had multiple decks and lots of windows.

When she was abreast of us I thought that it was strange that there was nobody on the open decks, not even crewmen doing the customary maintenance of outdoor areas. She must have been sailing with extremely few passengers on the Vancouver-Alaska leg, or else all were inside at a elegant tea function.

I had never heard of Orion II, and googled her after my return to home.

Donald.

I recall that I did a tour of Cape Town, then a drive to where the two oceans met. Then I got back on my ship, Ruby. I was travelling home from the UK, via South Africa, because the Suez was closed. Some did an overland trip to Durban, but I stayed on the ship, as I was having too much fun on the ship. I loved Durban, which is very much like Queensland.

Can you describe the view of the "two oceans met?" Is it a collision of two colossi, is it a change in the colour of the water like the Amazon? You've gotten my attention and now I'm trying to figure out which cruise lines sail from Rio to Cape Town. I wouldn't want to go on to Singapore or other places. A visit to Botswana then home.

A South African friend here in Texas told me the flight time from Texas to Jo'burg is 22 hrs via SAA. Which is impossible for me to contemplate. I am so burned out on the long-haul flights while recognizing that Aussies think a 12-hr. flight is just a walk in the park.

Rio to Cape Town is a fascinating itinerary. With any luck at all, no tsunamis, no failed nuclear power plants, perhaps only a waterspout or hurricane. Hmmmm.

You have me smiling about "having too much fun on the ship." Ah, those were the days!

Ruby

Can you describe the view of the "two oceans met?" Is it a collision of two colossi, is it a change in the colour of the water like the Amazon? You've gotten my attention and now I'm trying to figure out which cruise lines sail from Rio to Cape Town.

Ruby

I just remember very rough seas as the Atlantic met the warmer Indian Ocean (plus cheeky monkeys). This describes the spectacular scenery of this region far better than I can, Ruby -

No matter where you go in Cape Town, nature is all around you, from the chain of mountains that includes the iconic Table Mountain, to the Atlantic and Indian oceans on either side of the city.

Gazing towards Antarctica as you stand on the high cliffs of Cape Point in Table Mountain National Park, buffeted by the cleanest air you've ever inhaled, it is easy to believe you are at the southernmost tip of Africa. You imagine the Indian and Atlantic oceans do mighty battle before you.

It is an emotional and visual illusion - the southernmost tip of Africa lies a few hundred kilometres away to the south-east. You are simply standing on the long beckoning finger that is the Cape Peninsula.

Linked by a mountain range, it leads to the instantly recognisable Table Mountain, flanked by the smaller mountains, Devil's Peak and Lion's Head. Interwoven between the sandstone massif that is Table Mountain and Cape Point is the sprawl of Cape Town itself. Yet both these natural icons - and substantial chunks of wild land in between - form part of the Table Mountain National Park.

http://www.southafrica.net/sat/content/en/za/full-article?oid=313783&sn=Detail&pid=117526&Table-Mountain-National-Park

BTW This is an excellent website to research South Africa.

Whilst I haven't been back to South Africa, I had an enduring interest in South Africa through a girlfriend, who was stationed in Kwazulu-Natal for many years (until it became unsafe to stay in that region).

Sun Princess does a cruise from Freemantle, WA around the Indian Ocean, via South Africa, which might interest you. A stopover in Perth en route would be nice.

I've been doing a bit of due diligence about which cruise lines would have Rio-to-Cape Town itineraries. I'm looking at Jan 2013 as I'm spoken for until that time.

Crystal Cruises and Silversea are two possibilities. I would like to try Crystal Cruises but their itinerary sails from Rio to Montevideo, Buenos Aires, then out onto the high seas. As I have been in those ports, I am not eager to repeat them. Actually, I rarely repeat any of my travel locales.

However, Silversea sails straightaway out of Rio for many sea days, a brief visit to the island of St Helena where Napoleon was exiled, then Namibia for "Dinner in the Desert" which is rumoured to be a lifetime highlight, then Cape Town for two days. As an independent traveler, I would like to visit Botswana for a few days then return home. After reading some of the Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency books, I would like to bash around a bit in that country which is located next north of South Africa.

Conte - what discount does one enjoy by booking onboard a ship? Is it substantial or in the level of about $100? I am, of course, talking about Silversea. And I'm trying to remember which ship is preferred by repeat pax - Wind or Whisper?

Marion - thanks ever so much for putting that delish idea into my little grey cells. I may never get there but it will be lots o' fun doing the research.

Ruby

I've been doing a bit of due diligence about which cruise lines would have Rio-to-Cape Town itineraries. I'm looking at Jan 2013 as I'm spoken for until that time.

However, Silversea sails straightaway out of Rio for many sea days, a brief visit to the island of St Helena where Napoleon was exiled, then Namibia for "Dinner in the Desert" which is rumoured to be a lifetime highlight, then Cape Town for two days. As an independent traveler, I would like to visit Botswana for a few days then return home. I may never get there but it will be lots o' fun doing the research.

Ruby

Sounds a wonderful cruise, Ruby. All ports of call appeal, especially the island of St Helena (love islands) and Namibia. Lots of sea days. Have lots of fun, with your research. Do you know much about Botswana, apart from the Detective Agency books?

A woman of my own heart, researching the cruise after the next, before you go on the next one!

Do you know much about Botswana, apart from the Detective Agency books?

A woman of my own heart, researching the cruise after the next, before you go on the next one!

About Botswana - I do not know anything about the country and was quite surprised to read the author's obvious love of his birthplace. The author is a professor of law at Edinburgh University who was raised in Botswana. He expresses indirectly a great love of the joy, character, and honesty of that country's people.

I have not traveled in sub-Saharan Africa because of the continuing local strife in many of the African nations. So I'll have to look into the reality of Botswana as opposed to the rose-coloured glasses of the writer. Do you have current information about Botswana and the reality of a single white woman traveling in that country?

I have not been keen to visit Africe because I would not want to have immunizations for a visit to some of the countries. Not a fan of chemicals. But I did closely follow the civil war in Cote d' Ivoire thru the Beeb. The president voted out of office in November refused to leave because he enjoyed the cushy life of his rank. It took many months to get him out of the Presidential Palace at the cost of many lives. Americans don't follow this kind of foreign politics but, when their Snicker bar might have cost $10, it would have gotten their attention. The Ivory Coast supplies 30% of the world's cocoa (cacao).

Yes, researching foreign locales is a joy, a teaching moment, for me, probably 50% to 60% of my travel fun. Nowadays with the ease of the Internet, foreign travel planning is so easy. Plus the joy of my Kindle which holds over 50 books and still weighs 8 oz.. And, as I said many times, my joy of travel is a quote from Jean-Luque Picard from the bridge of the starship Enterprise - "let's see what's out there."

Ruby

Edited by Saga Ruby

When I went on my cabin balcony in the Inside Passage, I noticed Orion II in the distance approaching us. At first I thought that she might be a millionaire's yacht, but as she neared I noticed that she had multiple decks and lots of windows.

When she was abreast of us I thought that it was strange that there was nobody on the open decks, not even crewmen doing the customary maintenance of outdoor areas. She must have been sailing with extremely few passengers on the Vancouver-Alaska leg, or else all were inside at a elegant tea function.

I had never heard of Orion II, and googled her after my return to home.

Donald.

Strange that you couldn't see any passengers/crew, as the ships passed, Donald.

"Orion II is a private yacht-like expedition cruise ship built by Cantieri Navale Ferrari of Italy. After a number of years as a private yacht, Orion II was relaunched in 2009 following an extensive technical refit. Little expense was spared with this stylish, Italian built, all-suite Mega Yacht. Orion II now offers the finest standards in small-ship cruise travel. She is fitted with stabilisers and the expedition equipment includes Zodiacs to deliver the Orion expedition experience. Combining luxury and service will require staffing by 70 offices and crew to serve Orion II’s capacity of 100 guests. Excellence of design, craftsmanship and quality materials combined with Orion II’s spaciousness and intimate ambience make her ideal for distinctive cultural and expedition voyages.

Technical Information

Length: 88 metres

Beam: 15.3 metres

Draft: 4.5 metres

Hull: Ice- strengthened hull for voyages in the Arctic and Antarctic

Gross Tonnage: 4,077

Engines: MAN B&W Diesel 2 x 2520 KW

Speed: 14 knots. Cruise speed 13.5 knots

Stabilisers: Retractable fin stabilisers

Manoeuvrability: Bow thrusters

Built: January 1991. Refitted 2009

Builder: Cantieri Navale Ferrari (Italy)

Suites: 50

Guest Capacity: 100 (twin occupancy).

Crew: 70

Elevator: Yes

Classification: Lloyds

Regulations: Orion II is built according to the latest international safety regulations, including those of the U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Public Health, Canadian Arctic Shipping, and St. Lawrence Seaway.

Additional Craft: 9 Zodiac Heavy Duty MK5

Communications: Direct-dial satellite telephones; fax; e-mail; Internet access; internal telephone system.

Registry: Malta"

Orion Expeditions

Do you have current information about Botswana and the reality of a single white woman traveling in that country?

Yes, researching foreign locales is a joy, a teaching moment, for me, probably 50% to 60% of my travel fun. Nowadays with the ease of the Internet, foreign travel planning is so easy. Plus the joy of my Kindle which holds over 50 books and still weighs 8 oz.. And, as I said many times, my joy of travel is a quote from Jean-Luque Picard from the bridge of the starship Enterprise - "let's see what's out there."

Ruby

I don't know anything about Botswana, Ruby. I look forward to hearing the results of your research into "a single white woman traveling in Botswana".

Wow - 50 books on your Kindle - that is a lot of reading material! Did I mention that my daughter had given me an IPad, which she recently took to Costa Rica? She said I can put all my travel research, as well as books, on it, so I have a lot of research to do into IPads.

I travel for the same reasons, to see what's out there. Although I'm not nearly as adventurous as you are. On review, I was surprised to discover all of my cruising has been one way, including the one I'm currently planning.