buying wine in Whittier

KnoxvilleSam

We're going on a land tour before our cruise on the Coral Princess this June and would like to take some wine on board to enjoy in our cabin or at dinner during our cruise. I don't want to take wine all the way from Knoxville but don't know if there are any wine stores in Whittier near the cruise ship piers that we could stop in before our cruise.

I've done a search here but couldn't find any info. Does anyone out here know?

Thanks,

Sam

I don't think the train stops in Anchorage long enough (if at all)..If you are on the "direct" train you won't have a stop in Anchorage. I have a friend doing a tour from Denali and the only stop the train makes will be to pick up passengers in Talkeetna (or wherever is stops near there) and then straight to the port. You can always preorder some wine to have in your cabin through the gift department or pick it up in Fairbanks if you are starting there.

There is a small liquor store in Whittier, the selection will probably be limited. Give them a call and see if they have what you want. They could probably get you anything you want, if they know in advance.

Outpost Liquor Store………………………. 907-472-2461

Maybe things have recently changed on Princess. It has been almost 24 months since our last cruise on Princess. But, on our many trips with them, we always found the better deals for booze right on board, unless we were in a port with duty free right there in a store at the dock. On board, at one time, they used to sell liquor for consumption in your room at the gift shop. But the purchase at the gift shop policy changed to only “duty free liquor purchases delivered to your room at the end of the trip”. For those who wanted to purchase liquor for on board consumption, they then designated one of the bars where bottles could be purchased across the counter. This worked out really well. For hard liquor it was the only way to go. For a red wine person, like myself, well, I found the Princess prices and quality far superior, particularly when the option was screwing around off the ship trying to find something cheaper but better. For dinner in the dining room, you can bring your own bottle of wine but have to pay a corkage fee. The ship selection was always pretty good and the prices weren’t that bad. We didn’t have to polish it all off at one dinner either. The waiter had the same bottle ready for you the next evening

Archived